Does anybody else notice soft paint ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
17 1500 black. Paint is even, well applied, but weak as hell. Truck is covered in snow brush scratches now from and ultra soft brush. I use the same brush on my 2015 Camry, not a mark.

Can’t imagine what the first trip in the bush road to the camp will do...

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hmmmmm..... I remember the 90’s all the mopar on the road with peeled faded hoods and roofs. The brilliant pearl black is hands down one of the nicest colours when it’s waxed and in the sunlight. But typically these types of paint jobs are found on high end cars and have like a multi step paint application. Like Porsche, Mercedes etc. I can’t imagine Fiat/Chrysler is using multi step processes. Which can inevitably lead to what we see here. I don’t brush my truck in winter. Only the glass. I use two bucket method when washing and use clean good quality wash mitts and drying towels. I wash in light smooth side to side and not in circular right motion. I do everything right. Yet my truck looks like **** after two years. BRUTAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you guys that really concerned about scratching could always opt to get a clear wrap. shops usually do it for around 1000-1500 or could opt for the same color wrap, paint would look new for as long as you own it. not sure on the fade rate of the color wrap

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you guys that really concerned about scratching could always opt to get a clear wrap. shops usually do it for around 1000-1500 or could opt for the same color wrap, paint would look new for as long as you own it. not sure on the fade rate of the color wrap

Last quote I got for a wrap was over $3k.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Last quote I got for a wrap was over $3k.

I paid $800 just for 3M PPF Pro (10 year warranty) for my painted bumper, painted grille, front edges and heels of the fenders, front of hood and box sides behind the wheels. $3K + for wrap is what I was told when I asked about it. I'm glad I have white and stay on it with touch-ups cuz this **** chips really easy!!!!

Last edited:

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
damn i got a quote on my boat which was around 4 grand, then a new guy opened up shop in town and my neighbor got his boat done for 1500 said he could do his bmw for around the same.....so thats what i was going off of. maybe just trying to drum up business since he was new

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7

Ceramic coating about 2500. Wrap about 3-4K. Or...... how about they don’t use pencil crayon to paint a ****** truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Use a depth gauge and measure the paint thickness, color sand with maybe 1500, then 2000, then 3000, then compound , then polish, then glaze, then seal, then wax---that might get you the results you're looking for. Or like some of the rest of us, try and do the best we can with what we got. IMHO we have a long wait till the factory steps up and does a "quality" paint job. Overall Ram paint has been crap for years, with some exceptions, but generally it ain't very good, but it will never be a good as a "custom" paint job.
Jay

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a depth gauge and measure the paint thickness, color sand with maybe 1500, then 2000, then 3000, then compound , then polish, then glaze, then seal, then wax---that might get you the results you're looking for. Or like some of the rest of us, try and do the best we can with what we got. IMHO we have a long wait till the factory steps up and does a "quality" paint job. Overall Ram paint has been crap for years, with some exceptions, but generally it ain't very good, but it will never be a good as a "custom" paint job.
Jay

It would be nice if it was better than what came on the Yugo.

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think they have been talking for the last few years about upgrading the paint facilities at the Warren plant. I don't know if that has been done yet, but from the continuing complaints about the paint, I doubt that they have done anything. I swear that the quality control employees are visually impaired.
Jay

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Jay

Mine is 5.5 on the box sides and tailgate, 2.5 doors and 4's on the fenders and hood, never did the roof.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think they have been talking for the last few years about upgrading the paint facilities at the Warren plant. I don't know if that has been done yet, but from the continuing complaints about the paint, I doubt that they have done anything. I swear that the quality control employees are visually impaired.
Jay
From what I'm seeing its become worse over the years. Maybe the upgrades for the new trucks will mean better paint. How the paint is on the 5th gen rams is probably our best indicator. They might spray it out better, but I doubt its better paint. The paint on the hd trucks seem to hold up a bit better for whatever reason.