Does my Ram come standard with a Class 4 hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 "mini hybrid"
First, I am so glad to find this group of Ram owners! I have a 18ft long, 1500 lb (dry weight) hybrid, but I’m considering upgrading to a larger travel trailer. Used to tow with a full-sized Mercedes GL, but I traded into a Ram a few months, so I’m still learning things about the truck.

I am in the process of buying a travel trailer (overall length 29 ft 11”, dry weight 5505 lbs and tongue weight 900 lbs). I recognize that I need a class 4 hitch since the camper is greater than 5000 lbs, but does the 2020 Ram 5.7 liter Hemi come standard with a class 4 hitch? I’ve seen conflicting tow numbers online and the manual refers to both class 3 and 4 hitch towing weights.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know on mine it was a option that mine did come with. May have to check your window sticker online. In the ram app also has the options your truck came with

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Key your VIN into the search box for a pretty thorough listing
of all equipment on your truck...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I am so glad to find this group of Ram owners! I have a 18ft long, 1500 lb (dry weight) hybrid, but I’m considering upgrading to a larger travel trailer. Used to tow with a full-sized Mercedes GL, but I traded into a Ram a few months, so I’m still learning things about the truck.

I am in the process of buying a travel trailer (overall length 29 ft 11”, dry weight 5505 lbs and tongue weight 900 lbs). I recognize that I need a class 4 hitch since the camper is greater than 5000 lbs, but does the 2020 Ram 5.7 liter Hemi come standard with a class 4 hitch? I’ve seen conflicting tow numbers online and the manual refers to both class 3 and 4 hitch towing weights.

Go to Equipment listing and see which Hitch U have installed: U may see listed under optional equipment listing.

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment) From my 2019 ref winder sticker, just FYI.
Deluxe Cloth Bucket Seat $395
Bucket Seats
Customer Preferred Package 25Z
Premium LED Lighting Group $995
LED Fog Lamps
LED Automatic Reflector Headlamps
LED Tail Lamps
25Z Level 2 Equipment Group $2,100
Dampened Tailgate
8.4–Inch Touchscreen Display
A/C Auto Temperature Control w/ Dual Zone Control
Apple CarPlay® Capable
Auto–Dimming Exterior Driver Mirror
Class IV Receiver–Hitch
Cluster 7.0–Inch TFT Color Display

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Let's see if I can beat Boird by a minute again...

If you want to see your window sticker, select "Ram"
from the drop-down menu, then enter your VIN...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let's see if I can beat Boird by a minute again...

If you want to see your window sticker, select "Ram"
from the drop-down menu, then enter your VIN...

too funny, I am on a low MB DSL line here, U will beat me every time, LOL.

RamInfo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

At 30ft in length and 550lbs dry, the hitch is only one of the considerations you need to consider. You didn’t mention the model (1500/2500) or trim level on your truck, or distances and terrain you anticipate towing in, but be aware that higher trim levels have lower load capacities. Since A) all camper mfgrs lie about dry weight and B) the dry weights usually don’t include propane tanks, etc. and C) weight of an equalizer hitch is not included in the dry weight (with that trailer you’re absolutely going to need one) and D) you’re going to load up the camper with food, gear, etc. and the truck with passengers…that trailer poses a risk of exceeding your axle and combined load limits.

There should be a yellow sticker in the doorframe on driver’s side; start by getting your payload and max combined weights there then start the calculations.

Best,
RI

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

The side of the hitch should also have stamped in it whether it is a Class IV or III. You'll definitely need a IV for this trailer. Ignore dry weights and empty tongue weight as they're 100% of the time wrong.

Find the gross weight of the trailer on the sticker on the driverside and multiply that by 15%. That is your wet tongue weight. You're probably in the 1,200-1,300 lb range. Then look at the payload listing on the door sticker of the truck. Subtract the weight of the passengers and any cargo that goes in the truck. If the final payload number is lower (it likely will be) than the gross weight rating of the trailer, I'd advise to choose a smaller trailer.