Does Not Using the Block Heater Affect Twin Battery Life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Has anyone noticed ill affects on the lifespan of the 2 batteries by not using the block heater and instead, daily relying upon the grid heater?

We don't get a lot of cold here where I live, but with long winter nights it can still get quite chilly, and the grid heater must work, and my guess is that takes a lot of power.

I first did a forum search to see if this has specifically been discussed before but could not find anything. Doesn't mean it's not been discussed, only that I could not find anything.

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Maybe I'm confused,

The block heater plugs into 110V standard house outlet and would not affect the (2) batteries. The (2) batteries are not connected to the block heater.

The grid heater inside of the intake is only on when you go to start the truck. The grid heater only heats up to get the air inside up to a certain temperature for the engine to run correctly.

There is a block heater on my 6.4 Hemi, but I have never used it. The block heater just helps get things inside of the engine warmed up.

Block Heater:

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Maybe I'm confused,

The block heater plugs into 110V standard house outlet and would not affect the (2) batteries. The (2) batteries are not connected to the block heater.

The grid heater inside of the intake is only on when you go to start the truck. The grid heater only heats up to get the air inside up to a certain temperature for the engine to run correctly.

There is a block heater on my 6.4 Hemi, but I have never used it. The block heater just helps get things inside of the engine warmed up.

Block Heater:

I mentioned two different things, the block heater and the grid heater. I assumed most here would know that the block heater plugs into 110v and the grid heater uses the batteries.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Has anyone noticed ill affects on the lifespan of the 2 batteries by not using the block heater?

We don't get a lot of cold here where I live, but with long winter nights it can still get quite chilly, and the grid heater must work, and my guess is that takes a lot of power.

I first did a forum search to see if this has specifically been discussed before but could not find anything. Doesn't mean it's not been discussed, only that I could not find anything.
You could look into a temperature or timer outlet to control your block heater.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I mentioned two different things, the block heater and the grid heater. I assumed most here would know that the block heater plugs into 110v and the grid heater uses the batteries.
Like I said, I maybe confused,

Are you referring to the batteries having to maybe crank the starter longer because it might be cold? And having the block heater plugged in mitigate that?

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Like I said, I maybe confused,

Are you referring to the batteries having to maybe crank the starter longer because it might be cold? And having the block heater plugged in mitigate that?
Engine warmed by the block heater prevents the grid heater from activating. My original question remains: Are there ill affects on the lifespan of the 2 batteries by daily relying upon the grid heater?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
No effect on batteries as long as you run the vehicle far enough to fully recharge them after a cold start. Batteries actually last far longer in cold climates than hot. Cranking power goes down the colder it gets but battery life is great.

However, it also depends how cold. Block heater below 32F really makes it easier on the motor. Cold starts are very hard on any motor, worse on diesels.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
No effect on batteries as long as you run the vehicle far enough to fully recharge them after a cold start. Batteries actually last far longer in cold climates than hot. Cranking power goes down the colder it gets but battery life is great.

However, it also depends how cold. Block heater below 32F really makes it easier on the motor. Cold starts are very hard on any motor, worse on diesels.

Thank you!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You could look into a temperature or timer outlet to control your block heater.
He needs a Power Badger to control the block heater so he doesn't shorten the life of the block heater also (D'oh!).

Of all the things to be concerned about puking under the hood of diesel the batteries are the least of one concern. Just one injector cost more than a set of batteries.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
He needs a Power Badger to control the block heater so he doesn't shorten the life of the block heater also (D'oh!).

Of all the things to be concerned about puking under the hood of diesel the batteries are the least of one concern. Just one injector cost more than a set of batteries.
Got to agree. A tank of gas costs about the same as a battery. Am always amazed at how much work people put into choosing something that is basically irrelevant cost wise. Only thing i care about with a battery is that it has enough juice to start and to work the winch. How long they last is completely of no interest. If I had to buy a new one every 12 months so it did that right it still amounts to FA in a hat box.

OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Got to agree. A tank of gas costs about the same as a battery. Am always amazed at how much work people put into choosing something that is basically irrelevant cost wise. Only thing i care about with a battery is that it has enough juice to start and to work the winch. How long they last is completely of no interest. If I had to buy a new one every 12 months so it did that right it still amounts to FA in a hat box.

My 3500 has TWO batteries.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I got over 4 years out of Mopar replacement batteries that I expected to last only 3. I've never used block heater on this truck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 3500 has TWO batteries.
Yes, all diesels do. So effectively two tanks of diesel. Whats your point.

18c

I think part of the reason I care less about batteries is I have NEVER had one last less than 5 years and many lasted 10 plus. The weather here just doesn't seem to use up batteries, no matter where you get them from, EXCEPT Canadian Tire. Their batteries are pure crap and often poop out in 12 to 18 months. Quit using them 40 years ago but from what i hear, same problems now 40 years later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I got over 4 years out of Mopar replacement batteries that I expected to last only 3. I've never used block heater on this truck.

You've had a 2018, for 5 years. 5 years minus 4 equals 1. What happened?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Okay i'll ask whats a power badger?? I've ran lots of block heater timers over the years and can't say as i've noticed any differance in the life expectancy of the block heater,admittedly not on a late model diesal truck,but lots of farm tractors and auto applications,with alot of them also having an oil pan heater plugged into the same timer in conjunction with the block heater.The timer might not last 10 years under those circumstances ,but they usually make it through at least a couple winters

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You've had a 2018, for 5 years. 5 years minus 4 equals 1. What happened?

Jeez you need all the details!?

I bought my truck in 2019 and since it was a lot queen being shuffled around with questionable batteries, the dealer agreed to put in new replacement batteries. They were dated 2/2019.
Obviously you missed MOPAR REPLACEMENT batteries in my original post.
Actually I still have them since I used another pair for cores. One us still good, the other one will only hold 10 V.

20231229_191949.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Okay i'll ask whats a power badger?? I've ran lots of block heater timers over the years and can't say as i've noticed any differance in the life expectancy of the block heater,admittedly not on a late model diesal truck,but lots of farm tractors and auto applications,with alot of them also having an oil pan heater plugged into the same timer in conjunction with the block heater.The timer might not last 10 years under those circumstances ,but they usually make it through at least a couple winters
Agree, never burnt out a block heater and for years we just let them run all night. Plug them in when we got home and unplugged when we went to work in the morning. To this day I still never use a timer, electricity just isn't that expensive. Don't ever recall anyone having to replace one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Okay i looked it up,it's nothing more then a glorified timer Phil,basically what i was referring to,lol
Not to sure where i stand on it's 5 minute on ,then 5 minute off cycle though.

• When the Power Badger is put into “Maintain Ready” mode, the microprocessor senses the outside temperature and calculates a duty cycle for the heater. It divides the hour into 6 cycles (of ten total minutes each) and calculates how much of that ten minutes will be heater on and how many will be heater off. Example; at 28°F / 2°C the unit would be at a 50% duty cycle. A 50% duty cycle would mean that the controller turns the heater on for 5 minutes on then off for 5 minutes,… repeating that cycle for 6 duty cycles every hour.
The Power Badger’s programming begins a duty cycle calculation at 39°F (4°C) and colder. As the temperature drops, the Power Badger will increase the duty cycle, until it is at 100% (which happens at -22°F / -30°C and colder). No cycle “on time” will be assigned at temperatures above 39°F (4°C).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goose55

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Agree, never burnt out a block heater and for years we just let them run all night. Plug them in when we got home and unplugged when we went to work in the morning. To this day I still never use a timer, electricity just isn't that expensive. Don't ever recall anyone having to replace one.

More good news. Very helpful, Dean! Thanks!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You know OP, guys are trying hard to help and answer your questions. Try not to be quite so sensitive about how some of the guys, often me included, say things. Some of us have been doing this for 5 or 6 decades and have a bit of a different perspective as to what is truly germaine and impactful.

This is a great place to benefit from a lot of knowledge if you can take a bit of not well worded or modernly sensitve positioning of comments.Many of us are from an era where calling a shovel a spade was completely normal. Speaking only for myself, I am WAY past caring if people don't like the way I say things. I am not conforming to the woke world and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do to me for speaking my mind, my way.

Happy New Year to all.

Last edited: