Does your Gen 4 have this windshield wiper fluid defect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Totally agree...!!! I prefer they stay on the hood on these trucks. I live in the northest, snow an ice is hell on wiper mounted nozzles.

Well, being on the hood doesn't help here in VA, as mine have frozen up every year so far....but my cherokee with the nozzle on the arm has yet to do so.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, being on the hood doesn't help here in VA, as mine have frozen up every year so far....but my cherokee with the nozzle on the arm has yet to do so.
Yeah i cant argue that point, i`ve had mine freeze up on the hood a couple times. But when i let the truck warm up on winter days, they dont stay frozen very long.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah i cant argue that point, i`ve had mine freeze up on the hood a couple times. But when i let the truck warm up on winter days, they dont stay frozen very long.

What kind of fluid are you guys using? Up here in the north we have to use wash fluid that's rated for -40

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What kind of fluid are you guys using? Up here in the north we have to use wash fluid that's rated for -40
Most of the winter washer fluid here in the north east US area is rated for -30 degrees, but if you test it, your lucky if its mixed at -20. Me thinks the washer fluid makers are scamming people. They aren't putting enough protection in it to keep it truly from freezing. Its like anything else, these companies cut corners to make it more profitable for them. Most screw the consumers just to profit from us. Theres no honesty or integrity today... just greed.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
After reading this thread I went out and tried mine the other day and mine doesn't behave the same way. When I hit the button the spray hits the glass before the wipers cross it, so I'd say mine is working correctly.
^^^ This

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Most of the winter washer fluid here in the north east US area is rated for -30 degrees, but if you test it, your lucky if its mixed at -20. Me thinks the washer fluid makers are scamming people. They aren't putting enough protection in it to keep it truly from freezing. Its like anything else, these companies cut corners to make it more profitable for them. Most screw the consumers just to profit from us. Theres no honesty or integrity today... just greed.

I have had ice freeze over the nozzles, but never had the cheap blue winter formula freeze up on me.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had ice freeze over the nozzles, but never had the cheap blue winter formula freeze up on me.

Mine has frozen in the tip of the nozzles, without snow/ice freezing over the nozzle. Using the blue (I don't use the Rainx orange stuff since it has been known to damage sensors).

I have had it freeze over as well, just saying that it has frozen in the line without freezing the bottle in the past winter.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine has frozen in the tip of the nozzles, without snow/ice freezing over the nozzle. Using the blue (I don't use the Rainx orange stuff since it has been known to damage sensors).

I have had it freeze over as well, just saying that it has frozen in the line without freezing the bottle in the past winter.

Try using cheap Wally world fluid.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading this thread I went out and tried mine the other day and mine doesn't behave the same way. When I hit the button the spray hits the glass before the wipers cross it, so I'd say mine is working correctly.

Me too, tried it today.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I dont use anything but Rain-X. Doesn't freeze AND it repells water so when that sudden torrential downpour hits and everyone hits their wipers to max speed & still can't see, I can see just fine with them on intermittent.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I dont use anything but Rain-X. Doesn't freeze AND it repells water so when that sudden torrential downpour hits and everyone hits their wipers to max speed & still can't see, I can see just fine with them on intermittent.

Some have had their system clogged when using rain x fluid.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

And since they change their formula (people are claiming), the orange stuff can damage the fluid level sensor. Some say soaking the sensor in denatured alcohol (or some other cleaner) can remove the film left by it.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the stuff that kept freezing up in my truck. I switched to a different brand, no issue`s since.
If we get temps close to 30 below or lower, i grab a yellow bottle of that gas line anti-freeze called HEAT,
i add 1/2 of the bottle to my washer tank just to make sure it wont freeze up on me. I works nights, so its just good insurance.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Surely does... the people using it will be sorry later. I used it in a couple of my previous ram trucks, it coated the low level sensor, shortly after that, i had to replace EVERYTHING. It ruined the pump, it clogged the nozzles. So i had to replace EVERYTHING! Wasn`t cheap let me tell yah...! Christ man, the nozzles alone were $40 fricken dollars!

For those that want the effects of RAIN-X clear windows, buy the concentrated formula and just do your glass. Leave the RAIN-X washer fluid on the store shelf.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That was the stuff that kept freezing up in my truck. I switched to a different brand, no issue`s since.
If we get temps close to 30 below or lower, i grab a yellow bottle of that gas line anti-freeze called HEAT,
i add 1/2 of the bottle to my washer tank just to make sure it wont freeze up on me. I works nights, so its just good insurance.

Where in PA do you get to 30 below ?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
That sounds like more to go wrong/break. I would just be fine if they were on the cowl trim like most cars.

Problem with this location is that in snowy climates you have to dig the snow out of the cowl to get the washer nozzles exposed. Lived with this for years with my F150's. I much prefer the nozzles mounted on the hood.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Surely does... the people using it will be sorry later. I used it in a couple of my previous ram trucks, it coated the low level sensor, shortly after that, i had to replace EVERYTHING. It ruined the pump, it clogged the nozzles. So i had to replace EVERYTHING! Wasn`t cheap let me tell yah...! Christ man, the nozzles alone were $40 fricken dollars!

For those that want the effects of RAIN-X clear windows, buy the concentrated formula and just do your glass. Leave the RAIN-X washer fluid on the store shelf.
I've used it for decades, most recently in my 2000 grand cherokee that I sold when I bought my Ram and in my wifes 07 Pacifica with no issues.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca