Does your Gen 4 have this windshield wiper fluid defect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I got a 2018 (Gen 4) at the end of 2017, so I've had it about 7 months. Since I got it, the windshield wiper fluid spray seems defective. Here is the problem:

When I go to give it a squirt on a dry windshield, the windshield wipers will FIRST wipe the windshield DRY at least once, sometimes twice, then the fluid comes out. This is obviously awkward and problematic because the windshield wipers rub across a dry windshield. If I press it a second time shortly thereafter, the problem does not replicate itself (i.e., the fluid comes out first or simultaneously).

I have never seen this issue in any other truck or suv I've owned (4 jeeps and 2 rams), nor in any of my family members cars of varying makes.

I've had it in to two different FCA dealerships and both have basically told me there's nothing wrong with it.

Does anybody else have this problem in any Gen 4s? Does anybody have a 2018 and can tell me if this happens or does not happen?

Thanks!

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
I had that with every Gen4 Ram I owned until I got my current '17 Longhorn. This is the first truck that will squirt fluid before the wipers come across the first time.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Wonder if theres a leak somewhere allowong the tube to drain down .So it takes longer to get it primed back up before it squirts.

Was about to say the same thing - my old Chrysler T&C would end up with empty washer tubes (it's Oregon, it rains all the freakin time, so I rarely used the fluid... six months later when I go to use it, well... same issue OP mentioned.) I always figured it wasn't a leak, but rather fluid slowly pulling back to the reservoir through the pump.

wutech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you pushing the knob hard enough right away, on my 2016 a light push is “mist” wipe of the blades a full push is washer and if I don’t hit it hard enough it’ll just run the wipers and no spray until I use a little force.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take your service adviser to a few trucks on the lot and see if they do it. Mine has never had this issue.

Wonder how they will feel about getting a new truck dirty too haha.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My '14 has the same issue and I've seen a number of other threads on the same subject (can't recall if they were here or on "the other forum"). Dealer response to all seems to have been the same "working as designed".

-K

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Still ain't figured out why Ram doesn't have the fluid nozzles ON the wiper instead of in the hood.

That sounds like more to go wrong/break. I would just be fine if they were on the cowl trim like most cars.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
All of my 4th gens have been that way

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like more to go wrong/break. I would just be fine if they were on the cowl trim like most cars.

Well, of the vehicles I have had that had the nozzle on the wiper/wiper arm, I have had ZERO problems......my Ram, and many before it.....several problems, cold or hot.

Schultzestrength

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just tried mine and there was about a 6" wiper travel before the spray kicked in. This was the first time I have used it since I bought the truck. The second time I tried it, it was immediate spray.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Mine will wipe once or twice without fluid, or wipe 4 times with fluid coming first. It depends on how far in I push the button.

CBTBOB

U.S. Army Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Never really noticed...but it works. I have the first 5 oil change free on my 18 Ram. Every time I bring it in for an oil change or warranty service or a recall they do thier free inspection and fill up the washer reservoir for free.

Last edited:

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine will wipe once or twice without fluid, or wipe 4 times with fluid coming first. It depends on how far in I push the button.

If you push the button in partially that is the "mist" function on the wipers. Push the button all the way in for windshield wash.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup...I'm aware of what it's doing and why. Works as advertised on my truck. Wondering if the OP's switch is kind of sensitive to an easy press or if the OP just needs to know how the system was designed to work.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Meh it did this on my 14 and 17.

Thought it was just bad programming from the timing of the pumps and the start of hte wiper motors