Does your Gen 4 have this windshield wiper fluid defect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Go to a nearby parts house and look for a washer sprayer check valve. (One way valve) Pick one up, splice it in ideally where it won't get bashed around but it's as close as possible to the nozzles and that should do the trick. This prevents the fluid/water from leaking back and gets rid of the delay.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Go to a nearby parts house and look for a washer sprayer check valve. (One way valve) Pick one up, splice it in ideally where it won't get bashed around but it's as close as possible to the nozzles and that should do the trick. This prevents the fluid/water from leaking back and gets rid of the delay.

Or...Push the button a little harder so that the washer fluid starts pumping out immediately instead of the mist feature that a partial push activates.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Good idea

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Or...Push the button a little harder so that the washer fluid starts pumping out immediately instead of the mist feature that a partial push activates.
There’s a mist feature :hmm: Hmmmm I must always just smash the damn button. I’ll try it out later today.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel

Learned something new as I didn't know that.

There’s a mist feature :hmm: Hmmmm I must always just smash the damn button. I’ll try it out later today.

Me too

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

This! Just push the button quickly and the spray will come on in time before the first wiper sweep. If you nurse the button, the mist sweep comes on before the fluid spray catches up.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Bahahahaha so I’ve been turning my wipers on and off real quick when it’s misty outside for my entire life :banghead: Don’t know how I’ve missed that lol. But now that I see you can partially push the button I could see how it will wipe first before spraying. Wonder what other stupid feature I’m missing out on

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I got a 2018 (Gen 4) at the end of 2017, so I've had it about 7 months. Since I got it, the windshield wiper fluid spray seems defective. Here is the problem:

When I go to give it a squirt on a dry windshield, the windshield wipers will FIRST wipe the windshield DRY at least once, sometimes twice, then the fluid comes out. This is obviously awkward and problematic because the windshield wipers rub across a dry windshield. If I press it a second time shortly thereafter, the problem does not replicate itself (i.e., the fluid comes out first or simultaneously).

I have never seen this issue in any other truck or suv I've owned (4 jeeps and 2 rams), nor in any of my family members cars of varying makes.

I've had it in to two different FCA dealerships and both have basically told me there's nothing wrong with it.

Does anybody else have this problem in any Gen 4s? Does anybody have a 2018 and can tell me if this happens or does not happen?

Thanks!
Hehe, that is normal operating procedure on my truck.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something I drive or owned does the opposite, work truck or Honda i traded in, anyway, squirt and wash does fine, but then it wipes a couple of times after the winshield is dry.:33:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A couple of times, I had my passenger side not have any washer come out of the nozzle at all.
This was a couple of random times and it's only happened twice. (So far anyways.) :badger_1: LOL

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds like more to go wrong/break. I would just be fine if they were on the cowl trim like most cars.

Every car I have ever owned that had the washer nozzles on the wiper blade broke or developed a problem at least one time during the vehicles life.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001504 miles.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every 4th gen i`ve owned (4 of them), including my 18 that i just bought a couple months ago, ALL have this non-issue before fluid arrives to the windshield due to the mist feature being ahead of the washer circuit, first. I quickly figured out from my first 4th gen, that if i hit the "washer mode" inward VERY quickly, it would by-pass the "mist mode" and immediately turn on the washer pump, then fluid would hit the windshield before the wipers would start moving. You shouldn`t have to install one-way valves in the washer hose`s, its not needed.

This windshield washer issue is kind of petty if you ask me... it is what it is. Wiper modes are 1-2-3; Off/Mist/Wash
If you quickly hit the washer function, and its not by-passing the mist function, you either have a bad switch, a lazy pump motor, or both.

RammerHarder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Every car I have ever owned that had the washer nozzles on the wiper blade broke or developed a problem at least one time during the vehicles life.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001504 miles.
Totally agree...!!! I prefer they stay on the hood on these trucks. I live in the northest, snow an ice is hell on wiper mounted nozzles.

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
I tried it with my truck and it sprays way before the wipers even move.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I quickly figured out from my first 4th gen, that if i hit the "washer mode" inward VERY quickly, it would by-pass the "mist mode" and immediately turn on the washer pump, then fluid would hit the windshield before the wipers would start moving.

Thanks for all the help guys. Although it sucks it was designed this way, I have some relief that others have this issue to and it's not just more bad luck with this particular truck. Sounds like the above recommendation to just more carefully make sure I'm not engaging the mist function is the way to deal with it. Still sucks IMO. Aside from the new creature comforts, I have all around liked my 2008 Gen3 way better!

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 16 a soft press runs wipers only (mist), a quick firm sprays water first then wipers as most expect to see. Suspect as others have mentioned that's the way it's designed, just a matter of pressing correctly for which action you want to occur.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still ain't figured out why Ram doesn't have the fluid nozzles ON the wiper instead of in the hood.

Good question. My 1973 Corvette has them on the wipers. As much as my Longhorn cost they should be on the wipers and heated.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading this thread I went out and tried mine the other day and mine doesn't behave the same way. When I hit the button the spray hits the glass before the wipers cross it, so I'd say mine is working correctly.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading this thread I went out and tried mine the other day and mine doesn't behave the same way. When I hit the button the spray hits the glass before the wipers cross it, so I'd say mine is working correctly.

Same here, mine works fine

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here, mine works fine
Same here.
There were just 2 instances where the passenger side had nothing come out, which was weird. It was during the winter time, so it could have been a frozen line?? (Not sure if that's even possible?) Never had an issue with them since.