Don't Necesarrily Need to Add an Aftermarket Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I bought the truck (2019 Bighorn) about 2 weeks ago and ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder Kit for the 19 (part# 817843). I took the kit to my muffler guy for install. When I got there he took a look under the truck (because this was the first 2019 Ram he was gonna work on), and told me I may not even need to install the kit. It turns out for the 2019 Rams with the Hemi's and dual exhaust, there is a resonator just downstream of the Cats, after that you have the main muffler, then the split for the dual exhaust, and then another muffler ( straight through glass pack) on each side just before the tips. He suggested removing the main muffler and replacing it with a straight pipe since there were already a resonator and 2 mufflers (one on each side). So I tried this and the truck sounds perfect to me.... its an extremely deep but not too loud sound, it sounds like a beast!! I went from spending $760 for the kit plus $250 for the install to only having to pay $165. The best part about it someone just said to me that the truck sounds great what kind of muffler do I have? I told him it was the stock muffler, he did not believe me although I was telling the truth.

AnthonyD1978

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
The two rear "mufflers" are actually resonators. Truck only has one muffler.

I replaced my muffler with the flowmaster Super 44 for the same price you did the straight pipe. Super deep when accelerating and very quiet with no drone during cruising.

OP
OP
C

capeair181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The two rear "mufflers" are actually resonators. Truck only has one muffler.

I replaced my muffler with the flowmaster Super 44 for the same price you did the straight pipe. Super deep when accelerating and very quiet with no drone during cruising.

Ok good to know, I wasn't sure if it was a muffler or resonator. I was concerned that replacing the factory muffler with an aftermarket muffler would not be loud enough for my liking. I just did the mod yesterday. My plan is to drive it for a few weeks and see if I want to add a muffler to it. If I do maybe start with a small one chamber muffler. But as of now I am liking the way it sounds with just the resonators. They must be big for resonators and dampen a lot of the drone and unwanted sound.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Definitely would more so like to hear what you are hearing as a form of comparison please. [emoji4]

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed a Black Widow 250 and 300 on my previous 2016 Ram. Loved the 300 because it hid the MDS drone perfectly.

Perfect balance between chambered and straight through muffler. Think Flowmaster and magnaflow had a love Child.

I have the E Torque and stop/start, so debating whether or not doing the same. I want a subtle tone increase. I’ve had loud cars all my life. I may go subtle this time.

Black Widow 250

Black Widow 300

Sent from my iPhone 7+

19Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done a muffler delete on my 19 last week. It is a tone quieter then my 18 was with a flowmaster outlaw series muffler. The resonators do have weeping holes in them that cause a very "airy/exhaust leak sound" that is very annoying but other then that my truck with a muffler delete is not loud at all. I am debating on welding the weeping holes shut to see if it cleans up the sound from the tail pipe.