Door lock knob removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I remove the door lock knob by the window, will it impact the trucks ability to lock and unlock normally?

My concern is the locking mechanism will get stuck in the hole and not be able to pop up as the knob guides it up.

Anyone done this before?

OP
OP
J

jordang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anti theft. Have you done it or know anyone who has? If I’m able to pop it back up even if it gets stuck it might be worth a shot

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can you pull yours up with your fingers when it's in the locked position? Is your 2021 a Classic or a true 5th gen? I ask because in every 5th gen we've owned (4 total), there's no way to pull the lock knob up because it sits flush with the door panel when it's locked. Because of that I don't see how it's vulnerable to someone using the knob to unlock door to gain entry into the cab.

I can see someone removing it because of the reported "lock bites" some people have complained about. It hasn't happened to me but supposedly it's a thing.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
On the 2021 2500 and 3500 it is not flush when locked, so that may be the OPs basis for the question.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Anti theft. Have you done it or know anyone who has? If I’m able to pop it back up even if it gets stuck it might be worth a shot
Why not install new knobs like in the below photo

Attachments

• Doodr Lock.jpg
    Doodr Lock.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 10

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
There is a device, if fact at least 2 devices

Hell the are several ways to unlock Ram doors with out a key or FOB

You can drive a air wedge in between the door & "B" pillar & you have several options

BIG EASY

whatever you do, do not bend the Lock Knob Rod

Drivers door
yJZ71f.jpg

rear door quad cab

r3AdBU.jpg
Passenger Front door

auhBz5.jpg

OP
OP
J

jordang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why not install new knobs like in the below photo
Can you pull yours up with your fingers when it's in the locked position? Is your 2021 a Classic or a true 5th gen? I ask because in every 5th gen we've owned (4 total), there's no way to pull the lock knob up because it sits flush with the door panel when it's locked. Because of that I don't see how it's vulnerable to someone using the knob to unlock door to gain entry into the cab.

I can see someone removing it because of the reported "lock bites" some people have complained about. It hasn't happened to me but supposedly it's a thing.
True 5th Gen. the little grooves at the top of are flush with the top of the door so someone could pry it up I suppose

OP
OP
J

jordang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a device, if fact at least 2 devices

Hell the are several ways to unlock Ram doors with out a key or FOB
This is what I’m talking about. Trying to avoid being a theft victim. Now that I see those videos, a thief could just pull the handle rather than touching the knob. Seems like there’s no winning

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If they want it they will get it!
Just wondering what are you going to do about the door glass if they cant get the knob they will just break the window !!!!
like i said before if they want in or want the truck they will get it !!!
Just saying !!!

Dan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can tell you from personal experience that if someone wants in your truck they will get in your truck. In my case they broke the rear door glass and opened the door using the door handle...since the door handle was used from the inside the alarm does not trigger, the window breaking will NOT trigger the alarm. They wanted the center stack 12" screen which they got. They knew exactly what they were doing since they did not damage any of the wiring harnesses attached to the back of the screen.

I was told a long time ago...locks only keep honest people honest, if a thief wants your stuff they'll get it

Broken Glass.jpg

Center Stack Gone.jpg

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
To answer your question, I cut a 1/2 inch off the top of the lock button in my 4th gen truck. I sits just about flush with the door trim when it is locked. I only did it on the passenger side, my wife got the back of her arm pinched several times when it auto locks at 15(?) mph.

It seemed easier than cutting her arm off, which seemed like the only other option :superhack:.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was told a long time ago...locks only keep honest people honest, if a thief wants your stuff they'll get it
I have heard this all my life, and couldn't disagree more. There's no need for locks for honest people because honest people wouldn't by trying to get into someone else's truck, house, property, etc.

Bj Binette

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I unscrewed mine on the driver's side a year ago because I was tired of getting pinched when it auto locked lol works fine

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Does the power lock button stay active when truck is off? Someone could also just use a hanger to push the button?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Actually, on my '19 DT the front door lock knobs recess into the door and are flush. The rear doors, however, stick up far enough that one could easily pull the knob upwards and unlock the door.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 88148 miles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To answer your question, I cut a 1/2 inch off the top of the lock button in my 4th gen truck. I sits just about flush with the door trim when it is locked. I only did it on the passenger side, my wife got the back of her arm pinched several times when it auto locks at 15(?) mph.

It seemed easier than cutting her arm off, which seemed like the only other option :superhack:.
I assume you didn't tell her that cutting off her arm was option #2!:D

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 88148 miles.