Door removal like a jeep.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess it makes it easier to get in and out of a jeep or looks cool, has anyone ever taken the doors off a Power Wagon? While washing my truck today, I had all the doors open and actually seen a view sideways where I think it would look pretty cool with the doors off.

Curious, why do the jeep guys drive around with no doors on?

Attachments

• IMG_8805.jpeg
    IMG_8805.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8806.jpeg
    IMG_8806.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 29

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone did it on a 1500. You get a CEL because there are computers and sensors in the doors that when disconnected will throw codes.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I guess it makes it easier to get in and out of a jeep or looks cool, has anyone ever taken the doors off a Power Wagon? While washing my truck today, I had all the doors open and actually seen a view sideways where I think it would look pretty cool with the doors off.

Lots of jeeps came with soft tops that were easily removed, with no top there wasn’t anywhere to latch the doors to.

OP
OP
Corvette427

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And you wouldn't be able to use reverse with the door open or off without some creative hacking. LOL

Dammed Nannies.

Funny, I never thought about that. I am glad you posted that!!!!!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny, I never thought about that. I am glad you posted that!!!!!

There's often a solution to hack the nannies but I still wouldn't want to ditch my doors unless I had a vinyl floor and leather interior.

And the weather has been so erratic and unpredictable in recent years.

And, I never drive very fast with the windows open, that causes too much hearing damage.
I worked in loud communications sites for decades before I read a technical report on hearing loss and discovered the benefits of wearing a phase-cancellation headset. :cool:

YMMV

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm no jeep expert. Had a Wrangler for a short while in the mid 90's. Wasn't a big fan except parallel parking in Los Angeles was a breeze. :)

OP
OP
Corvette427

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I’ll leave the doors on!

Thanks for the information!

Attachments

• IMG_8815.jpeg
    IMG_8815.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 22

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are legality issues as well. If you are on the highway driving a vehicle with doors off that was designed for them to be on can be a ticketed offense. Jeep Wranglers are made to have them removable so they are legal, and now the new Bronco's are as well. I rarely, if ever take my doors of my jeep, mainly to keep the mud/mess out. When the previous owner had the jeep for sale, he had color matched half doors, those would have been nice. You would also need to have a side mirror installed somewhere.

But as stated in other posts, no doors are nice for offroading - visibility and one less body panel to wreck, lol. But a good majority of jeep people just think it is cool (for the ones that even know how to remove em).

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are legality issues as well. If you are on the highway driving a vehicle with doors off that was designed for them to be on can be a ticketed offense. Jeep Wranglers are made to have them removable so they are legal, and now the new Bronco's are as well. I rarely, if ever take my doors of my jeep, mainly to keep the mud/mess out. When the previous owner had the jeep for sale, he had color matched half doors, those would have been nice. You would also need to have a side mirror installed somewhere.

But as stated in other posts, no doors are nice for offroading - visibility and one less body panel to wreck, lol. But a good majority of jeep people just think it is cool (for the ones that even know how to remove em).

Good morning, mtu1293.

Is your username a reference to maximum transmition unit? :cool:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a fullsize Chevy K5 Blazer off-road rig that hasn't had doors on it for years. Main reason is visibility off-road, and a side benefit of less sheetmetal to dent against rocks and trees. Also helps with air flow and such. However I would guess most of the newer Jeeps you see on the road running around without doors is more for looks. Personal opinion but it's not very comfortable running at highway speeds with no top or doors....way worse than the typical convertible car.

PowaaaWagoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L

Completely off topic - what size tires are you running? 35? They look great.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Had a truck like that one time, it was a little work truck out of Ont, Ca , open the door , they fall off on the ground ,a PITA, and where the hell do you rest your left arm. Ont rust , seems like that is a NY thing as well. It was a nice little Datsun. I kind of like door closed and at +30 or -30, I want windows up

OP
OP
Corvette427

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Completely off topic - what size tires are you running? 35? They look great.
37” BF, good rich, all-terrain, TA, KO2. I agree with you. They do look great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 8