DPF delete but staying in stock settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD and will be out of warranty soon. It has 46K miles. My plan is to do a dpf delete when it comes time to do the EGR cleaning roughly at 69K.

1. On a dpf deleted truck, is there still an EGR cleaning requirement? No check engine light I am presuming.
2. Can I stay with the stock settings after the dpf delete? I am happy with the power as it is now.
3. With the stock settings after the dpf delete, how much smoke will it come out? Will people be complaining about it?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. No EGR cleaning needed if you delete the EGR cooler.
2. Yes, you can stick with stock settings but you do need a programmer for the delete you will do in order to not have codes present and put the truck in limp mode.
3. Stock settings will throw a bit more smoke but it's not an obnoxious amount.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is no EGR cleaning required at 70k on your truck. That only applied to the pre-DEF trucks.

If you have a good tuner there should be minimal to no smoke at a stock setting, how ever it will smell considerably more with the DPF gone. That is the one thing I hate about a deleted truck. I know the "kids" love the smell of diesel but it's obnoxious when at a stop or idling.

Also, if you haven't been in the loop. Deleting has become much more difficult the past year. Lot of tuners in the US have been fined and shutdown.

Last edited:

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That why you use a tuner from up north or the Middle East.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Unless you plan a full delete including DEF, EGR, and DPF you are better off leaving the truck completely stock. The DEF trucks are not perfect and do have emissions problems but I think they are more stable than the previous non-DEF versions that are emissions equipped. There is no such thing as a partial delete.

OP
OP
M

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I wasn't very clear with my post. With a full delete, can I keep the truck at stock settings? Will the black smoke be very obvious enough to upset other drivers?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
A well executed tune should not put out any noticeable black smoke at any power level. Black smoke is from partially burned fuel meaning something is not right between the tune and the equipment on the truck.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wasn't very clear with my post. With a full delete, can I keep the truck at stock settings? Will the black smoke be very obvious enough to upset other drivers?

With a good reputable tuner there will be no smoke (or extremely little). I'm running a stock tune and the only time I can see anything is if I step on it at night, I can see a light haze in the headlights behind me. Don't see much of anything in the daylight but I'm not racing around town either, I drive like the old man I am.
Like I said, it stinks to high heaven though. I would not have gone down this road if I had not started having a couple issues, I would have left it alone.

OP
OP
M

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
To mtnrider,

Did I get you right? If it wasn't for a couple of issues, you would not have deleted your truck? If so since I have no issues, leave it alone.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can tell ya on the pre def trucks, deleting makes a world of difference in fuel mileage and performance.