Drag wheel ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everybody I'm looking to get a set of wheels to use at the strip instead of the heavy 22"s that come on the R/T. Does anybody have any ideas of what factory wheels will work and how much they weigh? Or of any good light weight drag wheels for these trucks? I will be putting drag radials or slicks on these wheels

I would love to have a full set of wheels to keep the R/T looking nice at the strip, but it's the strip so mismatched wheels would work

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I would assume the old 17" off road wheels would work?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, google it...or wait til lil froger sees this trhead...

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I think in the neighborhood for 30 lbs a peice...

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if these are the same wheels you guys are talking about, but I found a link that says the 2000-03 17" aluminum wheels weigh 23.5 pounds a piece, Dodge Ram Specifications . I also found granite alloy ga12 that look nice and are 28.7 pounds a piece for a 20x9 wheel. I wish I knew how much the R/T wheels weighed

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to step on any toes here...and i hope I don't come off as sounding rude...but if you're building a drag truck...shouldn't wheels and tires be towards the end, after the performance side is done?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yank em and weigh em. A guy local in his R/T was running 13.3 with headers, tune and intake with the stock R/T rims and tires.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to step on any toes here...and i hope I don't come off as sounding rude...but if you're building a drag truck...shouldn't wheels and tires be towards the end, after the performance side is done?

It should, but the way my local track is, they put water no matter what tires you have. So I'd rather have a set of drag radials and have lightweight wheels to help with the performance aspect of the truck and to keep my new wheels as clean as I can

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should, but the way my local track is, they put water no matter what tires you have. So I'd rather have a set of drag radials and have lightweight wheels to help with the performance aspect of the truck and to keep my new wheels as clean as I can

Fair enough

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yank em and weigh em. A guy local in his R/T was running 13.3 with headers, tune and intake with the stock R/T rims and tires.

Yeah I might have to do that, but I would rather leave them on. And that's the beauty of these trucks, stock they're in the high 13s low 14s and with very little mods, they're in the low 13s

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Im assuming when your saying put water your meaning the burnout box? You can go around that to keep the factory tires dry and get a better launch. If moeny is no issue get a set of rims from summit that are set up for drag tires.. ie width you want.

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im assuming when your saying put water your meaning the burnout box? You can go around that to keep the factory tires dry and get a better launch. If moeny is no issue get a set of rims from summit that are set up for drag tires.. ie width you want.

Yes burnout box, and the way the track is, there is not enough space to go around it unless you are on a motorcycle as it is the width of the track. I'lll have to post pictures of it next time I go, but they cut the season short for some reason this year

Edit: Here's some pics from the website where you can see how narrow it is, http://www.littleriverdragway.net/id4.html

Last edited:

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been to that track and it's not set-up very well. The lanes are really too narrow for anything other than bikes or compact cars. But last time I was there, they had the track prepped extremely well

OP
OP
garner

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been to that track and it's not set-up very well. The lanes are really too narrow for anything other than bikes or compact cars. But last time I was there, they had the track prepped extremely well

Yes they are. And $22 to race is crazy for what is offered

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok well get a set of stock aluminum 17's. They weigh 24 lbs a piece & are worth it. Thats what I have my drag radials on & love them. However on my new slicks I just stuck them on my old chrome 17's & they only weigh 5 more lbs than the dr's on aluminum's b/c the hoosiers are so light.

And no, a good track wheel & tire set up should be 1 of the 1st things to do track wise over hp. You can have all the hp in the world but if you cant get it to the ground then your just as well to go home.

The heavier stock chrome rims w/ hoosiers(only 5 lbs heavier as a whole, will be find more aluminum rims to stick them on soon)...

IMG_3430.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

Here is my dr's & front runner set up w/ the factory aluminum rims...

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

dr5.jpg

dr4.jpg

dr3.jpg

dr2.jpg

dr1.jpg

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah it is.

So if I go with just say 17" wheels for the rear, how tall of a tire would I need to at least level it out with the 22" wheels on the front?

Well the only drag radials & slicks you will find are mostly 26-28" w/ the exception of 1 being 29".