Drag link recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
I just received a letter from the FCA safety recall re: the drag link recall which I had done in 2019. It required the nut be welded on the drag link, which in turn, I was told by the dealership, would not allow for an alignment. I had to replace my drag link and the nut this past year to get an alignment. Well, the I received letter states that owners are still able to have an alignment with the recall and it gives the instruction on how to perform it. I called the dealership and they told me that if they performed the alignment they way that is given in the letter, my steering wheel would be locked and it's not viable way to align the wheels.

Following is the the alignment process they should have followed per FCA letter:
The dealer will adjust the tie rod to align the wheels to the steering wheel and then lock it to hold the steering wheel on center.
With the drag link nuts welded and the steering wheel/steering gear locked on center, the dealer will adjust the tie rod to align the wheels to the steering wheel.

I feel like the dealership just won't admit that I didn't need the new drag link installed and because I'm a female they are just making this "steering wheel will be locked or can't be adjusted" up because they don't want to refund me for something I didn't need. The FCA letter has a phone number for where I can request a reimbursement for the initial recall, which was the welding of the nut, but I doubt for the replacement of the draglink and nut, which is what the dealership required I do to get the alignment and cost me close to $1000 for parts and labor.

Does anyone know if what the dealer stated about the the steering wheel being locked or can't be adjusted is true? If so, what does that actually mean?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If the nut is already welded, you can't do an alignment, but what they should have done is to do an alignment, get everything set correctly, and then welded. There is no part of this process that could permanently "lock" your steering wheel.

May want to DM RamCares to see if they can help.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my 16 aligned a few times after the jam nuts were welded (recall done). Once by a dealer and at least once by an independent shop can't remember if it was once or twice. Been a few years now. All they did was cut the welds, do the alignment, and re tack weld. Now I have a synergy drag link so I don't have to deal with it.

OP
OP
R

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
Update: I contacted RamCares and will be sending them the work order from the dealership and my receipt for payment. They will be reviewing it and determine if I will be reimbursed. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your responses.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Update: I contacted RamCares and will be sending them the work order from the dealership and my receipt for payment. They will be reviewing it and determine if I will be reimbursed. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your responses.

Thank you for your update on this. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please reach out to our team directly.

William
Ram Cares

OP
OP
R

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
New update: I did get an email and reimbursement for the drag link and labor has been approved! Thank you RAM! It is wonderful to see that you are concerned about your customer's satisfaction. Thanks to all who responded to my this thread with advice and comments as well.

Lifted Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Hemi
How did this go for you? Could you share the email address? I am going through HELL with Ram over this drag link (that they destroyed by welding it). Thanks =-)

rayvonp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2018 needed an alignment three different shops would not do it because of the recall fix, so I went to my dealer and they did do it at the cost of $300.00. I messaged @RamCares about this and after week was told they understand that it is an inconvenience to have to pay extra money for an alignment due to the recall but there is nothing they can do.

OP
OP
R

Rubesly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 ******* Diesle
Lifted Sliver - I contacted @RamCares. Try calling 1-866-RAM-INFO. I did have to provide the original service report which stated the the drag link HAD to be replaced so they could do the alignment. I also had to provide the receipt for the drag link replacement. I did receive reimbursement quickly after giving them this information. Good luck. (and now we have the deal with the emissions defeat device)