Drive in 4WD with no rear drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cstroy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So im in somewhat of a bind here. My pinion nut twisted off and caused me to break a tooth on my rear ring gear a few days ago. My question is, if I remove the pinion and just put it in 4wd can I drive it safely to the repair shop? Its about a 35 mile drive. The truck does not have manual hubs and has a limited slip rear diff.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've heard of people doing this. You'll just lose fluid which you would want to check on the way several times. Also I've heard if the front end isn't aligned perfect it will pull left and right at certain speeds. This is because the truck is pulling itself instead of pushing itself or something like that. Take it slow and easy and you should make it. Good luck.

OP
OP
C

cstroy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya i was thinking of just slipping a soda bottle over the transfer case opening. and i just recently had an alignment done, so i should be good there.

kermit0069

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
should be fine. i mean what the point in 4wd if you cant drive with it in a bind. i woudl go fast but it should work