Driveline "clunk" sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
2004 1500 4x4 5.7 with 85,000 miles.
Truck is not lifted, has 305/45-22 tirea(wider about same diameter as stock).
I have gotten under truck twice and U-Joints in rear shaft do not appear to have any play.
When shifted into reverse or drive I hear a clunk. Got under and when shifted, the driveshaft would turn slightly also. Can hear and feel the clunk. Also sometime hear it when getting on and off the throttle.
Sometimes when leaving work and parked on hill with passenger side downhill, it takes a second for truck to start moving like it's low on fluid(fluid level is OK).

Any thoughts on what to look at? I might just change u-joints anyway.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
And now it seems like the front brakes are on the wear indicator, outside pads have plenty of life left, (so did my wife's sebring a few months ago). Saturday will be a year since I bought it and only needed oil change and wipers, now 3 things in a week. And the front tires are wearing funny on the inside too[emoji2959]

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Try changing the transfer case fluid. With my foot on the brake a shifting into drive or reverse my '06 would make a very loud clank. Changed the T case fluid and it sounded much better.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I changed mine after the previous owner.It smelled like raw sewage.It still came out red like the ATF+4 it was supposed to be. When my drive shaft universal went, it made the most noise in reverse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pajeepman

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
So I am still trying to find out what is clunking. U-Joints have no play and do n oi t show any signs of rusty powder by the seal. With rear axle of the ground and truck in park, should the driveshaft have any rotational play in it? Mine has a small amount, maybe 1/16" or 1/8"?
All rubber mounts look good? I am at a lose hear.