Driveshaft orientation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Josh22855

Josh22855

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the one that likes to rearrange the undercarriage of your truck..... and not in a good way. :( :/

IMG_20201202_125814.jpg

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
my factory driveshaft blew out during tuning got a local shop to make me one and it not only blew out it cracked my transmission in half so now I am waiting on my transmission and will be buying Moe's driveshaft I am going on my 2nd transmission and 2nd driveshaft

driveshft.jpg

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Got my driveshaft from @Hemi450hp Moes performance yesterday. :)

I'm STILL looking for a source for a crossmember notch before I install it.

OP
OP
Josh22855

Josh22855

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3/4 lowered

You might want to consider doing the crossmember notch yourself with a metabo/flat bar/ and welding machine.
I have 1" clearance now with the 5" driveshaft, I'll have to modify the crossmember to give me peace of mind though. (Might gain another 1" of clearance.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well ****. I have this one. 2017 Reg Cab 8 spd. So I guess it’s a good idea to replace before it’s too late? Any ideas on what to go with???

Contact Matt Fikac at Moes,he's a vendor on here.He carries shafts for the little 8sp regular cab shortboxes.Do you have 3.21's or 3.92's,the 3.21 geared trucks aren't as hard on the shafts as the 3.92 geared trucks are.Less driveshaft rpm with 3.21's

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 3.92’s. Is it something I really need to be concerned about if I’m not going on the strip?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have the 3.92’s. Is it something I really need to be concerned about if I’m not going on the strip?

Do you drive above 80 mph occassionally.There's even been reports of a couple trucks blowing the shaft at 75 mph.Your truck and your call. Dragstrips don't hurt the shaft,it's actual driveshaft rpm that kills them,and that happens whether you're on the highway or at a dragstrip.Keep your speeds under 75mph and you'll probably be okay,as long as the previous owner hasn't had the truck up to the speed limiter a couple times prior,and stressed the shaft. If you ever start to get a driveline vibration ,stop and pull over and find the source of vibration asap. The shafts have been known to let go and bust the transmissions case when they do.Another option is swap out the 3.92's for 3.21's,the driveshaft is alot better off with the lower rpms it'll see with the 3.21's:ie meaning you can cruise down the highway faster with less worry. Then again you might be okay,but like i said it's your call.Personally if i owned one with 3.92's,i'd be swapping to a 3.21 diff and selling the 3.92 diff,odds are you aren't towing real heavy with a regular cab shortbox,so the differance between 3.21's and 3.92's isn't as noticable as it would be if you were towing 7,000lbs

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
85 mph is a normal speed on loop 101 in Arizona. I run 4.56 gears and haven't had any problems with speed and the driveshaft. Not saying it doesn't happen but it hasn't happened yet. :D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
85 mph is a normal speed on loop 101 in Arizona. I run 4.56 gears and haven't had any problems with speed and the driveshaft. Not saying it doesn't happen but it hasn't happened yet. :D

If you're gonna comment,at least do some research and read the guys post Red. He has a regular cab shortbox,you have a crewcab or cab cab 4X4 if i remember right. You're truck uses a totally differant driveshaft. The only trucks with driveshaft issues are the little regular cab shortbox trucks with the 8 speed,as they use an oddball driveshaft,totally differant from any other Ram 1500. The driveshaft on them bolts to the transmission and to the rear end,and the slip yoke is in the driveshaft itself and is unsupported. Once the trucks get some driveshaft rpm ,like when you're going down the road at 80+ mph the driveshaft starts to turn itself into a skipping rope.A year or 2 back FCA couldn't keep up with replacing the driveshafts on the little 8 speed RCSB's,and there was a world wide shortage on driveshafts for those trucks,they were back ordered everywhere. Regular cab shortbox 4X4's with the 8 speed are safe as they still use a normal driveshaft with a slip yoke into the transfer case.The little 2 wheel drive regular cab shortbox hemi trucks with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears are notrious for blowing the driveshaft right out from under the truck,and breaking the transmission's case when they do. The 3.21 geared trucks are a safer bet,as they don't have the same driveshaft rpm as the 3.92 trucks have at 80+ mph.

Last edited:

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks very much for the input. I do not tow but the original owner did. I’m not interested in moving to the 3.21 but I will definitely change out the new shaft. I drive highway a lot so I def need to change it. Thanks again. Appreciate it.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Something just came to mind,
Is it possible that the

Ram regular cab shortbox trucks with the 8 speed
are using the type of driveshaft that
Chevy used back in the '40s & early '50s
Back then they called them Closed Drive Shafts

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Other note. I have to drive approx 300 miles to work on Tuesday so I will not have time to do the swap before going. I have already changed my tires to 305/50/20’s so they’re an inch (shorter) less tall. So what would you say a safe speed would be considering this?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Something just came to mind,
Is it possible that the

Ram regular cab shortbox trucks with the 8 speed
are using the type of driveshaft that
Chevy used back in the '40s & early '50s
Back then they called them Closed Drive Shafts

You mean the old torque tube driveshafts,i don't know if i'd say they were similiar though.They were an enclosed driveshaft from what i know about them

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Other note. I have to drive approx 300 miles to work on Tuesday so I will not have time to do the swap before going. I have already changed my tires to 305/50/20’s so they’re an inch (shorter) less tall. So what would you say a safe speed would be considering this?

Keep your speed under 80 mph if you can. Alot depends on how the prior owner treated the truck,if he ran it up to the speed limiter a few times,you can probably count on the shaft already being stressed.Just pay attention to vibrations and noises,keep an eye on your outside mirrors as they're a good indicator of things not being right under the truck. If they're vibrating to the point you can't see behind you,i'd slow down,lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just googled it & they are different

he-40s-3-55-1-ring-and-pinion-swap-driveline-leaks.jpg

I remember changing a 3 speed transmission on a 1949 Chevy Torpedo style car
What a pain ...

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
If you're gonna comment,at least do some research and read the guys post Red. He has a regular cab shortbox,you have a crewcab or cab cab 4X4 if i remember right. You're truck uses a totally differant driveshaft. The only trucks with driveshaft issues are the little regular cab shortbox trucks with the 8 speed,as they use an oddball driveshaft,totally differant from any other Ram 1500. The driveshaft on them bolts to the transmission and to the rear end,and the slip yoke is in the driveshaft itself and is unsupported. Once the trucks get some driveshaft rpm ,like when you're going down the road at 80+ mph the driveshaft starts to turn itself into a skipping rope.A year or 2 back FCA couldn't keep up with replacing the driveshafts on the little 8 speed RCSB's,and there was a world wide shortage on driveshafts for those trucks,they were back ordered everywhere. Regular cab shortbox 4X4's with the 8 speed are safe as they still use a normal driveshaft with a slip yoke into the transfer case.The little 2 wheel drive regular cab shortbox hemi trucks with the 8 speed and 3.92 gears are notrious for blowing the driveshaft right out from under the truck,and breaking the transmission's case when they do. The 3.21 geared trucks are a safer bet,as they don't have the same driveshaft rpm as the 3.92 trucks have at 80+ mph.

I'm read it all.

I'm just more on the side of Defcon 5. He'll be fine if he drives it reasonable. Some folks smash Defcon 1 like there is no tomorrow. That's all.
Don't drive like an idiot till you upgrade the shaft and get yourself a driveshaft loop while your in there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm read it all.

I'm just more on the side of Defcon 5. He'll be fine if he drives it reasonable. Some folks smash Defcon 1 like there is no tomorrow. That's all.
Don't drive like an idiot till you upgrade the shaft and get yourself a driveshaft loop while your in there.

What the hell are you talking about now??? The only thing you've said in your last 2 posts that actually makes any sense or has any revelance to this thread ,is the comment about a drive shaft loop. At one point in time i think Jay Greene's relative was building a loop that bolted to the transmission,but i don't know if that loop is still available.Putting a loop on the regular cab 2X4's with an aftermarket 5" shaft is easier said then done.You should maybe go find a 8speed regular cab shortbox and crawl underneath it,and look at what you're talking about Red

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley