driving a G56 manual 3500 dually?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

syngen smythe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. I have a deposit on a 6.7 3500 Dually with the G56. I had a 2005 manual 2500 with the 5.9 for few years, and I loved it. Lots of torque- I think in those days it was 610? Towed like a beast, compared to my 7.3 powerstroke that I had before it.

Anyway, this truck is across the country; I am going to have it shipped to me. But here's the deal- I had no idea when I put the deposit down that these trucks (manuals) were de-rated so much. It is 140 pounds less torque than the automatic. So question: has anybody driven both trucks, and can comment on driving this manual vs the auto? I would prefer the manual, but not sure it is worth giving up that much torque rating.

On one hand, it has more than my 2005 which I just said I loved, but I don't want to spend that kind of cash on something that I am disappointed with. The new engine might drive/feel completely different. I know it is hard to quantify - just looking for comments from anyone who has driven, or owns, one.

I guess the last thing is can I tune it to make it closer to the 800 pounds? I don't want to delete, but if the automatics get 800 without a delete then can this one do the same?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ssampson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@syngen smythe,

I own both a 2016 Ram 3500 and an 18' Ram 3500. The 16 has the 68RFE (automatic) and my 18 has the G56 (manual) transmission. They drive very similar, even though there's around a 200 foot lb of torque difference! I do not, and probably will never regret my purchase of the manual!

For the tuning, the transmissions seem to hold up well (to my knowledge) to more power, although the clutches definitely don't. If you want more power out of your truck without roasting the stock clutch, then you shouldn't go over an extra 75 hp or so. Or, baby the clutch!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank