Dual Backup Camera Attempt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettC33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have a 2016 ram 2500 SLT with RA3 8.4 in it. I have a high mounted stop lamp backup camera installed and wanted to add an additional camera in the rear tailgate. The OEM backup camera kit was no longer available so I took my truck to a dealership to get them to add the tail gate jumper harness, the handle and the camera. They said the 3 wires for the rear camera were already at the back of the radio for the tailgate camera so we added the sales code and now it has the option on the radio to toggle betweent he two cameras but the tailgate camera is just a blue screen. I swapped cameras with no such luck so I am assuming we are missing something possibly in the wiring from the tailgate to the radio. They are telling me the wiring seems to be present from the factory for this tailgate camera and are not sure why it is not working. Does anyone have experience with this issue who could point me in the correct direction to get it fixed?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
My 2014 did not have the wiring from the connector in the wheel well behind the drivers tire back to the tailgate. There is a very extensive thread on installing a camera and what is needed. It's an awful lot of reading, but worth taking the time to go thru it. I bought the wiring harness I needed from @Mpgrimm2 I could have built it myself. but i could not have done no where near as good a job as he did, well worth it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@GarrettC33
Post 10 in that thread linked above had a bunch of info gathered in one post..

If you have the 3rd brake light (chmsl)/cargo Cam,... Then the 3 wires they saw at the back of the radio may have been for that. For 2016 with latest sw update...
> Pins 24,25,26 should be Cargo Cam
> Pins 31,32,33 should be BuCam (from connector near brake pedal at i315/i311)

There's 4 connectors in the truck your need to check for the existing wiring to see what's actually missing....

i550 tailgate connector by the spare tire should have 2 lock wires and 6 camera wires... There may be an 18" wearout extension between it and the main chassis harness. Follow it forward to check the other end for 8 vs 2 wires.

The next spot is the larger c322 behind the front left wheel liner going up the firewall from the i550 chassis harness along the frame rail. This one's trickier. You have to check both sides of it at pins 26-30 and at pin 3 for the wires.

Attachments

• c322 Female & Male compare.JPG
    c322 Female & Male compare.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 1. i550 to Blank c322.jpg
    1. i550 to Blank c322.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2. i315 to Radio C1.jpg
    2. i315 to Radio C1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2. Inline-BodyIP to Radio C1.jpg
    2. Inline-BodyIP to Radio C1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Backup Cam Inline-BodyIP vs i315 Id.jpg
    Backup Cam Inline-BodyIP vs i315 Id.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 27

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
from what i recall on my 2016 Ram 1500

I don't have the cargo cam
I do have the Tailgate camera

There is camera wiring that goes from the tailgate handle to a connection just in back of the license plate.
From there, another pigtail follows the body over to the driver side of the frame, then it follows the frame just a couple of feet to a point where the backside of the drivers rear tire meets the trucks frame, at that point there is another connection.

There is a video, that may give you an idea of what to look for

Briansmobile1 made the video