Dumb Hauling Question (mattress)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I know this probably a stupid question, so let me preface with that. I am totally new to trucks etc etc. I am not in the least bit "handy" more of a computer guy, just to give some insight on my lack of knowledge.

With that being said, I am looking at buying a King mattress and boxspring. I have the short bed crew cab. I know that the mattress is longer and wider then the box. Should I attempt to tie down and transport this thing? I can get it shipped direct from Costco but that's going to cost $145 more. My thoughts were to lay it flat and tie from under it and around.

Again I know dumb question but insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could get away with that especially if you don't have far to go and can stay off freeways. I have done it with a king on a 5.5 and it did fine....just have to drive carefully.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
make sure you strap it good. they can catch a lot of wind and blow out very easily and even worse some ass could come along and grab it before you can turn around(don't ask how i know)

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The law in most places is you can go 2 feet past the last point of the truck, meaning if the tailgate is down you can have a load 2 feet past that. Call you local Highway Patrol office, they will always tell you exactly what you can do. Some places may even be more feet past tailgate, and some places may measure to taillight instead of tailgate, you need to check your local law easy to do. The height limit is crazy, I think you are good up to anything that will fit on the highway. I once hauled mature magnolia trees straight up because it was illegal to hang them off the back, which is what I would have preferred to do.

Anyhow, hauling beds is about the easiest thing you can haul, you can do that no problem, if the tailgate is down put a little flag on the load. When you haul anything that is loose, the law is you need a tarp secured over the load but really all 4 corners is better, keep that in mind for future loads you will carry. Just tie your bed in 3 places for extra security. I can't tell you how many times I hauled a bed, too many to count.

Not a dumb question at all, but if you fawking pay coscto 145 dollars you are going to loose any chance of ever getting a man card. Invest in truck tie downs, and use youtube to learn to use them, mostly you need to take most of the slack out before ratcheting. They are much better then rope and will keep your load tight, I bought mine at costco, 4 pack.

ratchet-truck-tie-down-2-x33--1190203292.jpg

Last edited:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I would do it in a heart beat Ive done it before with the pull type straps no even ratchets and I went down the highway at 65 you just have to make sure it's strapped tight and take it easy. Both box springs will fit one on top of the other between the fender wells and the mattress will fit on top of the box springs and on top bed rails. I strapped mine down to the fenders(I had a old f-150 that I didn't care about) and the stake pockets. If you have a hitch you can run a strap from the saftey chain hooks up to the front stake pocket that will keep you box spings in and your mattress down.

OP
OP
14MDRam

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the advice guys. I bought a 4 pack of tie downs just wasn't sure if it was a smart way to haul it or where exactly to use them.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the advice guys. I bought a 4 pack of tie downs just wasn't sure if it was a smart way to haul it or where exactly to use them.

put the straps in a X shape across the mattress and if you have a hitch try to run another from it right down the middle. as the load shifts and settles the straps will usually loosen up so it's a good idea to pull over after 5 or 10 min and check them

OP
OP
14MDRam

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
put the straps in a X shape across the mattress and if you have a hitch try to run another from it right down the middle. as the load shifts and settles the straps will usually loosen up so it's a good idea to pull over after 5 or 10 min and check them

Thanks, that was my plan. The one from the hitch you would connect to one of the points near the cab I'm assuming?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Because mattress has so much give, you wouldn't need to that. your straps will grab into mattress material very well, you can X your load, but let your third strap go from the two points nearest the passenger compartment. This will push the load tight, and then x your load. You certainly can use the hitch, and if the load was solid that wouldn't be a bad idea, but matress is so easy to haul you can't mess it up. Just remember 3 straps.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, that was my plan. The one from the hitch you would connect to one of the points near the cab I'm assuming?

either of the anchor points at the front work fine just don't use the pockets since they are bendy. the straps will dig into the mattress so shouldn't have to worry about them slipping

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
either of the anchor points at the front work fine just don't use the pockets since they are bendy. the straps will dig into the mattress so shouldn't have to worry about them slipping

Just a heads up if you look down into the stake pockets there's a place you can hook a strap down inside there ( I agree you down want to do it right on top because it is just 1 layer of sheet metal)

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a heads up if you look down into the stake pockets there's a place you can hook a strap down inside there ( I agree you down want to do it right on top because it is just 1 layer of sheet metal)

problem is it can be hard to reach the hook point with pretty much any strap i've used. also while it's a lot stronger there it's still a bit bendy.

my plastic trim covers the front pockets anyway so i don't have use of them unless i cut it out but my cover is also blocking them a bit too. not sure why the rears would be pre cut but not the front

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
problem is it can be hard to reach the hook point with pretty much any strap i've used. also while it's a lot stronger there it's still a bit bendy.

my plastic trim covers the front pockets anyway so i don't have use of them unless i cut it out but my cover is also blocking them a bit too. not sure why the rears would be pre cut but not the front

Your right, you have to have the right hooks on the end of you straps but they are strong enough to use I have never had any issues with useing them.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your right, you have to have the right hooks on the end of you straps but they are strong enough to use I have never had any issues with useing them.

it's possible they are stronger on the rams i just know the ones on our silverado bent fairly easily. i do wonder how well those pocket anchors you can buy would work. would think they would spread the force out a bit and hold pretty well but i've never used them

OP
OP
14MDRam

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Interesting. My front ones are covered and back open, which I assumed the previous owner did. So they came from the factory like this? I wonder the reason for that.

I've also looked into those hooks that are screwed into the holes and wondered about their durability. Anyone ever use them?

BLKSHP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was going to suggest just having someone lay ontop and hold on ;-)

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.
Interesting. My front ones are covered and back open, which I assumed the previous owner did. So they came from the factory like this? I wonder the reason for that.

My '13 came from the factory like that, too. The rear two are open...covered up front towards the cab.