Dumb question about brake controller, But..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my first 3/4 ton truck, and only my second Dodge (first being a 92 Dakota). I bought this primarily to replace my 1/2 ton Ford pulling my 265 DBH Camper..I believe I read there are 3 settings for 3 different types of trailers for the factory brake controller, or Am I imagining things? Do I just need to simply plug it in to the harness and it figures it out and I just set the adjustment like I did my ford, or are there more steps? Just curious, thanks!

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
In mine there are 4; Light Elec., Heavy Elec., Light Elec over Hydraulic and Heavy over Hydraulic ( I think I got that right). I haven't figured out how to use the factory presets yet so, I'm interested too. On my 1500 with the factory controller, I never used the presets. I just connected it up, adjusted the gain and went.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I believe it has to do with what type of Braking system the trailer has and what the weight is also. Pretty straight forward.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I thought my 2014 only has 2 settings in the EVIC - "light electric" or "heavy electric" but it's been 3 years since I set it. The heavy setting works great for my use as does the controller itself. The gain setting is super handy for on the fly adjustments and the system works overall very well.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
O.k, so when I hit the brake controller over, it seems to be defaulted to lite eletric.. which would probably be my camper since its only roughly 6500 pounds or so loaded..Im guessing the difference between lte and heave electric, would be possibly a 50% setting on heavy electric may have a tad more breaking than 50% on lite electric?

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just checked my Owners Manual. It suggests using Light Electric for 10k lbs and under and Heavy Electric for Above 10k lbs. Adjust the gain as necessary.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just checked my Owners Manual. It suggests using Light Electric for 10k lbs and under and Heavy Electric for Above 10k lbs. Adjust the gain as necessary.

Thanks!

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi

This.

If I forget to reset to light electric after towing my 5er, the brakes will lock up tight when I pull my mowing rig. Scares the crap outta me. Lol.