Brake controller setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I was talking to a buddy who has a 3500 and tows a 43’ 5’er toy hauler. I have a 2500 Diesel with a bumper pull trailer ~9k lbs loaded. His is obviously way more lbs than mine, but he says he sets his brake controller at 3 or 4. I typically set mine at 7 when loaded. This is the factory installed OEM controller from the tow package. I don’t know how to judge the settings between us. I just make sure I don’t lock up the trailer brakes if I’m not locking up the truck brakes. I can lock up both if I slam on the brakes hard enough (obviously ABS on the truck).

Just wondering what everyone else runs. Clearly there are a lot of variables, but I thought 3 vs 7 for a trailer that is much lighter was an interesting question. Is there a guide? I’ve just used what felt best based on the weight of my trailer (it’s a 32’ travel trailer with 45 gal fresh tanks and 80 gal of grey/black tanks). GVWR of 9k lbs loaded. His is like 13k.

Interested in any logic on brake setting. If it is of any importance, I live in the western US, where there are lots of big up and down grades, so braking is important.

TYIA.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In the owner's manual, there is a nine-step guide on how to properly set the brake controller gain for a trailer. Keep in mind these are designed to be proportional braking systems, the trailer stops itself as does the tow vehicle braking system stops the truck.

To ask others what setting they use isn't going to help you. There are so many differences that my number isn't going to give you results for your trailer. Some of the criteria that make differences, are the trailer's brakes bedded in, disc or drum brakes, electric over hydraulic, and the number of trailer axles with brakes.

For utility trailers and dump trailers, they can have two or more settings depending on the load they bare, empty versus full load or somewhere in between.

Over the years I've seen many posts about trailer braking and trailer brake controllers. Just about every post was driven by a just-purchased trailer braking complaint simply because the new trailer's brakes were not bedded. It is sad, even irresponsible that trailer dealers don't instruct the purchaser on how to bed the trailer's brakes.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I have to have mine set at 8.5 for the trailer brakes to work. I've adjusted the trailer's brakes and that's where it has to be.
EDIT: Setting is on light electric

Last edited:

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think my 2500 pulling about 10,500 lbs of 5W performs best at 7.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
HOW TO ADJUST GAIN:

GAIN Adjustment Buttons (+/-)
Pushing these buttons will adjust the brake control power
output to the trailer brakes in 0.5 increments. The GAIN
setting can be increased to a maximum of 10 or decreased
to a minimum of 0 (no trailer braking).
GAIN
The GAIN setting is used to set the trailer brake control for
the specific towing condition and should be changed as
towing conditions change. Changes to towing conditions
include trailer load, vehicle load, road conditions and
weather.
Adjusting GAIN
NOTE: This should only be performed in a traffic free
environment at speeds of approximately 20–25 mph
(30–40 km/h).
1. Make sure the trailer brakes are in good working
condition, functioning normally and properly adjusted.
See your trailer dealer if necessary.
2. Hook up the trailer and make the electrical connections
according to the trailer manufacturer’s instructions.
3. When a trailer with electric/EOH brakes is plugged in,
the trailer connected message should appear in the
instrument cluster display (if the connection is not
recognized by the ITBM, braking functions will not be
available), the GAIN setting will illuminate and the
correct type of trailer must be selected from the instrument
cluster display options.
4. Push the UP or DOWN button on the steering wheel
until “TRAILER TOW” appears on the screen.
5. Push the RIGHT arrow on the steering wheel to enter
“TRAILER TOW”.
6. Push the UP or DOWN buttons until the Trailer Brake
Type appears on the screen.
7. Push the RIGHT arrow and then push the UP or DOWN
buttons until the proper Trailer Brake Type appears on
the screen.
8. In a traffic-free environment, tow the trailer on a dry,
level surface at a speed of 20–25 mph (30–40 km/h) and
squeeze the manual brake control lever completely.
9. If the trailer wheels lockup (indicated by squealing
tires), reduce the GAIN setting; if the trailer wheels turn
freely, increase the GAIN setting.
Repeat steps 8 and 9 until the GAIN setting is at a point just
below trailer wheel lockup. If towing a heavier trailer,
trailer wheel lockup may not be attainable even with the
maximum GAIN setting of 10.

sugg.JPG

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Are you in heavy or light electric
Is he in heavy or light electric

combatgrunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I take my trailer someplace flat put the truck in drive let it move forward slowly and I adjust the trailer brakes until they lock on trailer and then subtract 1.0 I do it again once loaded.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I've always adjusted mine so that when braking I can feel the trailer doing a little more work than the truck. The control is proportional, so it's going to apply your trailer brakes in correlation to how much you are applying your truck brakes.

I've never been able to get my travel trailer brakes to lock up. So, I don't know. 20 some odd years of towing and that's always how I've set my controller gain.

Nbcamm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Why am I only getting 4.5 volts at the drums with controller set at heavy electric and the gain at 10 ? It’s won’t stop the trailer. I hear dodge has a problem with their controller. I’m about to pull my hair out try to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Why am I only getting 4.5 volts at the drums with controller set at heavy electric and the gain at 10 ? It’s won’t stop the trailer. I hear dodge has a problem with their controller. I’m about to pull my hair out try to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It applies voltage based on a number of factors. Speed, pedal pressure, angle. Sitting still in park there is no need for the full 12v.

Unless you are saying it won't stop the trailer while in motion. In that case you may want to check your trailer brakes.

Nbcamm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Bra,es are all good and adjusted properly. They work fine with a Chevy. My truck does the same thing with all trailers.