E88 gasoline also known as E15, at 70 cents less per gal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was forced to use it a couple weeks ago in my wife's Durango with the 5.7 hemi. We were low on fuel in Minnesota on our way to the Mayo clinic. When we stopped to fuel up, the only option was the 88 octane/15% ethanol. Regular 87 wasn't working. It seemed to get a little worse mileage than the 87 I usually run, but was hard to tell based on the wind. Didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary though when we used it. It was cheaper than 87, but only by 10 or 15 cents per gallon where we filled up...if I remember correctly anyway!!

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ethanol is better for the environment. That's what we're told. At least until all the diesel required to produce the corn to make the ethanol is factored in. And the loss of wildlife habitat due to increased corn acreage.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
one thing about these new fuels is that one of my harleys is a carbureted 2001 wide glide and every year after winter downtime I have to pull the carb and replace a cpl. of rubber o'rings before it will run. the idle jet one is usually not even there anymore. I use the ones that are made to work with ethanol fuel but they still ruin.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
one thing about these new fuels is that one of my harleys is a carbureted 2001 wide glide and every year after winter downtime I have to pull the carb and replace a cpl. of rubber o'rings before it will run. the idle jet one is usually not even there anymore. I use the ones that are made to work with ethanol fuel but they still ruin.
I am a bit luckier. My 2006 Gold Wing is injected. But I also run it all winter, As long as temp over 40, I can survive the 5 miles to town and back and keep putting in and mixing "fresh" fuel. If it is gonna sit for a while, on goes the tender and Stabil in the fuel tank, which I run up and down lil hills near my garage to mix well, than park.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been seeing this at various stations in the last year and was tempted to try in my 2016 5.7 HEMI.

Most discussions about alternate ethanol fuels talk about lower mpg so I hadn't tried any.

Today I found this from an apparently solid source mnfuels.com or Minnesota:
"The energy density of Unleaded 88 or E88 and regular unleaded are very similar, and it’s unlikely you’ll notice any difference in fuel economy. In fact, one study conducted by the University of California showed some vehicles achieve slightly better miles per gallon with Unleaded 88 than regular unleaded."
And further," It’s good for your engine. Unleaded 88 burns cleaner and slower than regular unleaded, which has an octane rating of 87. The higher octane level helps boost horsepower and efficiency."

At the large savings per gallon, curious to know if others have tried E88. Seems worth a try.
"In one study"? Really? What was the N factor? What about the study being conducted across all climes and seasons? Remember that correlation offers no proof.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I am a bit luckier. My 2006 Gold Wing is injected. But I also run it all winter, As long as temp over 40, I can survive the 5 miles to town and back and keep putting in and mixing "fresh" fuel. If it is gonna sit for a while, on goes the tender and Stabil in the fuel tank, which I run up and down lil hills near my garage to mix well, than park.
yas I'm riding less and less in my old age. I also have a 2009 ultra classic that is injected. we do some cruising on that one. after I bought the wide glide my wife decided she would like to go too so I bought an ultra and later a newer ultra and we have traveled many miles on it. our favorite trip is from ft. worth to durango co. and the many roads around durango and taos n.m. and then back to DFW. we have done the hill country many times too.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Royal Farms Stores a gas station/minimart with locations in 6 US states within the Mid-Atlantic region, sell non-ethanol gas, 90 octane. The one near me has it at every pump for $4.45/gallon.

Their regular gas is not Top Tier, and they don't have enough locations to be remotely convenient so i go elsewhere for my gas and coffee.

This doesn't address the issue of the price of ethanol gas that is not subsidized, but for me it shows the price of doing away with ethanol altogether. And that $4.45/gal would likely come down should demand increase dramatically.

Check for a place near you, US and Canada: https://www.pure-gas.org/