Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve lived here all my life. Where did you do a dyno run at around here? Is Bouchillon still in business?
No I haven’t had one done yet however there used to be a speed shop on Ashley Phosphate behind the new Mr. Corvette. I have a tune prior on a Silverado I sedto run around playing with and got referee to a guy by the name of JP from the guys out of that shop. Any I did get with JP and what he offered back when I had this done was he would connect his laptop and software up in the vehicle and ride with you for a couple hours getting your driving style, recording real street pulls, I even went and changed fuels while on his watch and he adjusted for that as well, the only downfall about that deal was he just had to set it up for an average conditions and driving styles because I didn’t have any devices to switch tunes for the different applications I may find myself driving under. That’s was the big motivating factor with going with DiabloSport this time because it came with 5 different tunes to set the truck under labeled or categorized by fuel octane like 87, 91, 93, 100, and one labeled Cold Air Intake or something like that falls near the bottom or less mild spectrum of the tunes, and then I could adjust a few details just a couple points in either direction from the base start program. Again all explained to me to be generally safe I mean obviously it wouldn’t have been recommended nor “Safe” to run a 100 octane tune with 87-89 octane but certainly could drop 5-8 gallons of 110 and set the tune to the 100 program and notice significant improvements. Again under the pretense that doing just these things would still keep the engine within is safe operating parameters and with all the critical safety parameters activated and in place to prevent catastrophic damage/ failures, that was the pitch I was informed when I was considering another performance tune experience. And I like to think that most of the time they get it right , because they are in business of tuning street cars with this package they seem to be successful at and knowledgeable about. Maybe I just received the one in a million that wasn’t programmed properly or maybe mislabeled idk that’s the reasoning behind me asking them to look through the files and verify it is indeed safe before I used it again on the second engine. They convinced me that my first engine failure was simply coincidence or it was just its time to go. Keep in mind also I didn’t tear down and investigate the first engine damage when I swapped it out i just built a roll around cart to support it off the floor and rolled it up against the wall in my shop and covered it to be rebuilt at a later date for a later project. I only pulled the heads off and started investigating after the second engine to discover they both experienced the same abuse.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I haven’t had one done yet however there used to be a speed shop on Ashley Phosphate behind the new Mr. Corvette. I have a tune prior on a Silverado I sedto run around playing with and got referee to a guy by the name of JP from the guys out of that shop. Any I did get with JP and what he offered back when I had this done was he would connect his laptop and software up in the vehicle and ride with you for a couple hours getting your driving style, recording real street pulls, I even went and changed fuels while on his watch and he adjusted for that as well, the only downfall about that deal was he just had to set it up for an average conditions and driving styles because I didn’t have any devices to switch tunes for the different applications I may find myself driving under. That’s was the big motivating factor with going with DiabloSport this time because it came with 5 different tunes to set the truck under labeled or categorized by fuel octane like 87, 91, 93, 100, and one labeled Cold Air Intake or something like that falls near the bottom or less mild spectrum of the tunes, and then I could adjust a few details just a couple points in either direction from the base start program. Again all explained to me to be generally safe I mean obviously it wouldn’t have been recommended nor “Safe” to run a 100 octane tune with 87-89 octane but certainly could drop 5-8 gallons of 110 and set the tune to the 100 program and notice significant improvements. Again under the pretense that doing just these things would still keep the engine within is safe operating parameters and with all the critical safety parameters activated and in place to prevent catastrophic damage/ failures, that was the pitch I was informed when I was considering another performance tune experience. And I like to think that most of the time they get it right , because they are in business of tuning street cars with this package they seem to be successful at and knowledgeable about. Maybe I just received the one in a million that wasn’t programmed properly or maybe mislabeled idk that’s the reasoning behind me asking them to look through the files and verify it is indeed safe before I used it again on the second engine. They convinced me that my first engine failure was simply coincidence or it was just its time to go. Keep in mind also I didn’t tear down and investigate the first engine damage when I swapped it out i just built a roll around cart to support it off the floor and rolled it up against the wall in my shop and covered it to be rebuilt at a later date for a later project. I only pulled the heads off and started investigating after the second engine to discover they both experienced the same abuse.
Honestly I try not to go past Goose Creek. Would love to see everything beyond the Goose Creek reservoir break off and float away.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Honestly I try not to go past Goose Creek. Would love to see everything beyond the Goose Creek reservoir break off and float away.
Lol. Yeah I know watcha mean, I stay in Ladson off of College park rd. But yeah if it wasn’t for work I’d be just fine if I never saw anything past the reservoir but I’d have to go a little further down to about Hanahan everything else from there could go for sure!! Lol

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. Yeah I know watcha mean, I stay in Ladson off of College park rd. But yeah if it wasn’t for work I’d be just fine if I never saw anything past the reservoir but I’d have to go a little further down to about Hanahan everything else from there could go for sure!! Lol
Wow, you’re close. I live on 17A close to the Hotspot. Been living in the same place since 1978. Can’t wait to retire and move!

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what that a challenger you have? what all do you have done to it? and are you part of the group of Mopars that meet up at the sonic once a month on Fridays ?
Wow, you’re close. I live on 17A close to the Hotspot. Been living in the same place since 1978. Can’t wait to retire and move!
Thanks, So what bis that a charger you have? what all do you have done to it? are you part of the group of Mopars that meet up at Sonic on Fridays once a Month

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I don’t trust any tune unless your monitoring engine permitters. Also with how often you’re swapping tunes and bouncing around with different fuels I would slow it down. Typically you need to fun fuel down really low and run a bit before I would say safely your fuel is consistent. Monitoring fuel A/F ratios and timing while driving at different loads and situations. I’ve seen some really funky things happen when doing computer reflashes. Sometimes the file corrupts and changes perimeters even tho it’s loaded. I’ve also seen base tunes supplied by large companies like Holley and fitech that are wayyyyyy off on things like total timing under heavy load of how lean/rich A/F ratios are. I have never messed with Diablo and will likely never but I always verify a tune after loading it and then verify while driving before getting on it. Your piston damage looks like a lean issue and detonation but I’ve also seen where it’s overfueled s d thr gas gets under the and behind the first ring and then compression = boom! Usually more Common with boosted motors.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You said in the 2nd engine you had problems with(I forget which) either #1 or #7 but you said you pulled the right side head? Odds are on the driver(left) side, evens on the right (passenger) side.