Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Rofl, where to start. I will simplify it. It is 100 percent your fault.

You crakced a piston. Why? Because you ran it too lean for too long. Nothing to do with the octain and everything to do with pushing it to the rev limiter while it was running lean. When it is lean, the tops of the psitons get too hot and crack.

Now normally, the computer will inject more gas to cool the pistons, the same thing it does to the Cats when they get too hot.........But no, you wanted to be like the cool kids and programmed a jail broken computer with code you knew NOTHING about. So it was lean to get that cool cam lope, then the pistons got hot and the programing on your hacked computer said "chill dude, i like it that way" and pop. Broken piston.

Then, after you pulled the plugs the first time and noticed the ends hammered down, instead of asking why and getting serious about it, you beat the tar out of the engine by pusing it to the rev limiter while it was lean AND had a cracked piston. Like kicking a man while he was already on the ground.

So your truck said FU, and gave up the gost. Now you need a new motor and it is 100 percent your fault. Something that should be obvious, if you put a new motor on that computer, you are going to prove Einstiens theory of stupidity. Doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Lesson? No, you do not know better than the factory. No, neither does Hemi Fever or any other crack pot selling "the cool" to ignorant kids. Leave it alone if you want to drive it every day. The Factory spent a lot of time and money to make sure you could. If you insist on giving them the finger though, well, uber is your friend. Also, a rev limiter is designed to keep idiots from blowing up a motor if they accidently floored it in neautral. It is an Idiot proofing device. Not a shift point.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque

You crakced a piston. Why? Because you ran it too lean for too long. Nothing to do with the octain and everything to do with pushing it to the rev limiter while it was running lean. When it is lean, the tops of the psitons get too hot and crack.

Now normally, the computer will inject more gas to cool the pistons, the same thing it does to the Cats when they get too hot.........But no, you wanted to be like the cool kids and programmed a jail broken computer with code you knew NOTHING about. So it was lean to get that cool cam lope, then the pistons got hot and the programing on your hacked computer said "chill dude, i like it that way" and pop. Broken piston.

Then, after you pulled the plugs the first time and noticed the ends hammered down, instead of asking why and getting serious about it, you beat the tar out of the engine by pusing it to the rev limiter while it was lean AND had a cracked piston. Like kicking a man while he was already on the ground.

So your truck said FU, and gave up the gost. Now you need a new motor and it is 100 percent your fault. Something that should be obvious, if you put a new motor on that computer, you are going to prove Einstiens theory of stupidity. Doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Lesson? No, you do not know better than the factory. No, neither does Hemi Fever or any other crack pot selling "the cool" to ignorant kids. Leave it alone if you want to drive it every day. The Factory spent a lot of time and money to make sure you could. If you insist on giving them the finger though, well, uber is your friend. Also, a rev limiter is designed to keep idiots from blowing up a motor if they accidently floored it in neautral. It is an Idiot proofing device. Not a shift point.
Best post ever in response to those who love to burn through their cash in pursuit of intentionally destroying a perfectly good product.
Some just can't stand keeping it OEM and having a nice trade-in one day.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Best post ever in response to those who love to burn through their cash in pursuit of intentionally destroying a perfectly good product.
OMG, Rosco11 spot on, LOL. All IMHO...

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
The detonation issue. Bummer. A too lean or dry a tune in a high load, big throttle application will absolutely destroy an engine. Your timing could be way off too and resulting in a catastrophic failure. Check for head for piston to valve clearance. (Newer engines have synch w/ecm time, Fi program) that sucks but out of two comes a wiser owner.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
The detonation issue. Bummer. A too lean or dry a tune in a high load, big throttle application will absolutely destroy an engine. Your timing could be way off too and resulting in a catastrophic failure. Check for head for piston to valve clearance. (Newer engines have synch w/ecm time, Fi program) that sucks but out of two comes a wiser owner.
SEE ROSCO 11.
It's all anyone needs to know.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well Obviously you’re not into customizing vehicles like I am, and so excuse me if there

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well Obviously you’re not into
customizing vehicles like I am, and so excuse me if there is a $370 Billion Dollar Aftermarket performance market in North America right now in 2023 that I am a part of and thought the majority of people on this forum site were a part of. And it’s projected to be $560 Billion in 2026.
Out of all those dollars spent there are many aftermarket performance parts that will safely and effectively bolt on, plug in, or can in some way be installed onto todays detuned vehicles to make them more appealing for the aftermarket performance customers like myself.

These aftermarket companies have proven safe and effective measures for their products and are very successful at selling them. Now I completely understand your logic , but if I wanted a Toyota Prius and wanted to be controlled to drive and look just like the car or truck next to me in traffic that’s what I would’ve purchased. There are thousands upon thousands of people who have altered the manufactures ECU and been successful at without any damages to thier engines. And you are correct I don’t know enough about tuning a vehicle to jump into it green nor would I. I would shop around , ask around, collect data for many months before ultimately deciding to purchase a tune package that does not allow me to make “Dangerous” parameter changes. A company who sells thousands of these tunes for the same exact application as my truck and been creditable, successful, and effective and done everything safely.
Now I understand that humans are changing these tunes and mistakes can possibly happen, as I believe it did in this case. But to speak how you feel about your beliefs and behaviors and what you like to do with your vehicles obviously don’t concern me or my thread on this forum because you obviously don’t and wouldn’t alter your vehicle’s ECU for more performance or fuel mileage so why not just keep it moving and go chat with the people who have like interest as you do. And leave the very successful $360 Billion dollar /year aftermarket performance market alone and its people if you can’t contribute something objectively. Everything doesn’t require us to draw a line in the Sand!!! I see **** I think is stupid and ignorant all the time but I have more productive things to do rather than to stop and stir up that pot like a keyboard warrior like yourself. It’s gotta be a tremendously boring place to spend an entire lifetime just playing and staying controlled by the “industry’s” rules and regulations!! And just for the heck of it the manufactures Maximum Recommended engine speed on my 2018 5.7 Hemi is 5800 rpm’s and the tuned program I was running was set rev limiter at 5550 rpm’s in which the 8 speed automatic transmission shifted prior to that everytime!! But that’s a neat story your trying to bully onto me , however your theory is incorrect sir!!

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SEE ROSCO 11.
It's all anyone needs to know.
Agreed and I’m actually getting considerations from the tuning company. They’ve asked to see the receipts and records of all the damages, of course after the thread I posted to make sure I knew what I was thinking was reality. See I also called them after the first failed engine to try to get them to take a closer look at the tune for me, they placed me on hold a couple times to check whatever they were checking on their end and returned to the phone with clearance to keep on keeping on with it. Well they are the professionals selling the product so I did just what they said to do, however it just proved to be fatal again. I just didn’t know the exact sequence of events that took place is why I came here for some clarification and a better understanding I appreciate all the valuable information from everyone thank you

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op

I have a tuned RAM and the one requirement of my tuner before he would touch my truck for tuning was to install an AFR gauge. Once installed. I could instantly see if I was running lean.

Perhaps an investment in a AFR gauge for the future might be a solid choice.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Op

I have a tuned RAM and the one requirement of my tuner before he would touch my truck for tuning was to install an AFR gauge. Once installed. I could instantly see if I was running lean.

Perhaps an investment in a AFR gauge for the future might be a solid choice.
Absolutely will check into that do you have a recommendation for any particular brand or type? Is this something you installed yourself? Is this the same thing as a bandwidth gauge Or whatever it is that the forced air guys use?

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AEM gauge seems to be popular

It's what I have, about a 20 minute install except for the 02 sensor. That took a bit longer
Cool I appreciate that , I will look em up right now and see if I can get something coming. I have a gentleman in Jacksonville Florida ip a stage two or stage 3 cam with the stiffer valve springs. So I now I’ve got to get educated in what’s considered stage 2 and 3 as far as camshafts go. To make a decision about which one is going to be my best choice. I ultimately want a street /strip set up that’s not impossible to drive on the street but if I want to shock the mustang that pulls up beside me , I can also do that as well.

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool I appreciate that , I will look em up right now and see if I can get something coming. I have a gentleman in Jacksonville Florida ip a stage two or stage 3 cam with the stiffer valve springs. So I now I’ve got to get educated in what’s considered stage 2 and 3 as far as camshafts go. To make a decision about which one is going to be my best choice. I ultimately want a street /strip set up that’s not impossible to drive on the street but if I want to shock the mustang that pulls up beside me , I can also do that as well.
Trade in ? That’s the largest waste of money on the planet. No I don’t buy brand new vehicles, I haven’t financed a car in the last 15 years , and I certainly don’t trade them in!! So when I do blow one or two up they belong to me!!!

OP
OP
Rickmartin2nd

Rickmartin2nd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That didn’t turn out correct …..anyway the guy is putting a 6.4 liter with the forged internals together for me now. I just need to answer him soon about if I want the stage 2 or stage 3 cam shaft of course with the stiffer valve springs included in the head work. And then I will be in search of another performance tune to of course set my E fan , and 180 degree t/stat parameters to and Match it to some dyno pulls in the heat and humidity of Charleston SC area where I live and drive.

Silver21Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Trade in ? That’s the largest waste of money on the planet. No I don’t buy brand new vehicles, I haven’t financed a car in the last 15 years , and I certainly don’t trade them in!! So when I do blow one or two up they belong to me!!!

So you bought a 2018 truck with 80,000 miles only 2 years ago for all cash and hundreds more on tuners and mods and you've already blown it up twice (more money).
Tell us again about your concept of what is a waste of money, please ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That didn’t turn out correct …..anyway the guy is putting a 6.4 liter with the forged internals together for me now. I just need to answer him soon about if I want the stage 2 or stage 3 cam shaft of course with the stiffer valve springs included in the head work. And then I will be in search of another performance tune to of course set my E fan , and 180 degree t/stat parameters to and Match it to some dyno pulls in the heat and humidity of Charleston SC area where I live and
Shouldn’t you be using a speed shop for the rebuild who can also do the tune ? If I was doing this I would seek out Wildman for advice on camshaft ect.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That didn’t turn out correct …..anyway the guy is putting a 6.4 liter with the forged internals together for me now. I just need to answer him soon about if I want the stage 2 or stage 3 cam shaft of course with the stiffer valve springs included in the head work. And then I will be in search of another performance tune to of course set my E fan , and 180 degree t/stat parameters to and Match it to some dyno pulls in the heat and humidity of Charleston SC area where I live and drive.
I’ve lived here all my life. Where did you do a dyno run at around here? Is Bouchillon still in business?

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just read the first chapter in the book, you always run it upon to the limits when shifting could have something to do with it, but as said sounds like lean, knocking