eBay cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coryz760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone ever buy one of those cheap cold air intakes from eBay? The ones the run $50 or so. I was thinking of getting one and throwing a k&n filter on it.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Since CAI does nothing but increase the sucking sound (no performance improvement), send me the $50, I'll send you an MP3 of the sucking sound, and the performance of the truck will be the same as if you spent the time actually installing it. Consider the time savings my gift to you.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I like having a CAI. My experience with them is that I feel a better throttle response. Yeah, butt dyno, I know. But honestly, there's no real performance gain with just a CAI or it's so small that it's barely noticeable.

The filter in the cheap eBay systems are known to fail and you end up sucking filter material into the engine so you have to be careful there. And if the tube is metal then it may actually be a detriment to your engine's performance as they capture heat from the engine bay and end up heating the intake air.

But a good CAI does work well as part of a system that lets more air in, more air out and fuel/timing is optimized.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
The aluminum ones heat up quickly yes but with aluminum's conductivity it sheds heat very well. Plastic, though a good insulator from heat, keeps air temps hot once it does heat soak. End of the day you'll see zero performance difference between the 2. It's whatever matches your price point and aesthetic appeal best.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Throttle response is often reported and can be possible with good filters. They do allow more flow but it takes a much higher output for the factory paper filter to actually be a restriction.

OP
OP
C

Coryz760

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like I might be better off spending that money on a k&n for my current set up? Stock lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
It'll perform as well as any off the shelf kit with just the filter swap. If you're not looking for a flashy look or anything yeah stock box is perfectly fine. I will say though a tube setup gives it a hair more throaty sound when you hit the throttle. Nothing crazy though

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Drop in high flow filter and a 3" add a tube definately lets more air flow. You can hear it as well as during wot I felt like the truck pulled harder/longer in upper rpms. Butt dyno was calibrated...lmao

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Drop in high flow filter and a 3" add a tube definately lets more air flow. You can hear it as well as during wot I felt like the truck pulled harder/longer in upper rpms. Butt dyno was calibrated...lmao
The 2nd gens actually have a pretty good setup flow wise from the factory vs the later models

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The factory filter will flow all the air an otherwise stock 5.7 will ever need.

MERICA445

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
While we're on the subject, would anyone know if these ebay filters are cleanable and reusable?

armykyle1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While we're on the subject, would anyone know if these ebay filters are cleanable and reusable?

Mine doesn't look or feel like a cleanable filter. Feels like a dry cotton filter.

As for the CAI doesn't help. It may be negligible on these engines as they don't have a MAF, but the top of the air box is restrictive and can create a weird turbulence.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Mine doesn't look or feel like a cleanable filter. Feels like a dry cotton filter.

As for the CAI doesn't help. It may be negligible on these engines as they don't have a MAF, but the top of the air box is restrictive and can create a weird turbulence.
Yet "better designs" show no power or efficiency gain

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Love my Vararam, wouldn't take anything for her. It does make a difference and a lot more with a programmer.IMG_0209.JPG

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Hey Pepper9...

Don't cha just love it when the guys with newer trucks get in here and try to recommend stuff for the 5.9. Stuff that won't even fit on the TB.
It's like they don't get enough attention in their own forums.

Vararams won't fit the magnum...period.

Plastic cracks.

Aluminum bends.

Steel rusts...powder coat it.

Both heat soak but at different rates, You would need a lot of really cool air from an outside source shoved into the element to build power from just an air filter.

Any filter smaller in area than the OE element loses power. If you must run a cone filter you need one at least a foot long, 4 -6 inches in diameter at the base, and an inner cone on the front end.
You will feel the power decrease when the filter starts to get dirty. You will also know because you cannot hear it anymore.

Pepper hates it when I post this. but it's as cheap or cheaper than a chinesium ebay tube. And I have about 12 years run time on it, so I know what it does, and what it don't.

And if didn't I'd have gotten rid of it. But I got rid of a FIPK and got this.

100_0391.JPG

Last edited: