Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danielle Brumley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im lost! I own a 2007.5 6.7. Ive had it for about 4 years. Some days are great some days not so much! When I first got the truck on the drive home the truck began to accelerate on its own. I had to throw the truck into Neutral and turn the truck off once I was at a slow enough speed. I then tried to start it back up and it wouldn't start! Once home I did all the basic stuff first, Check for codes, check the fuel and what not. No codes not even a check engine light, and the fuel looked ok. I ended up buying a new ECM, and it started right up. Little nervous to drive since last time I drove it, it accelerated on its own, but it was fine, for about 6 months. This time it started I was backing up and the truck stalled and kept flashing "water in fuel" I checked my fuel and to me didn't see like there was, I drained it a little, and still wouldn't start. Got it towed home.This time it was down for about a month. Then back to fine. Couple months back I was backing out of my driveway the pedal went completely dead, and Ive already replaced the throttle sensor once. I got out I banged on the TIPM a couple times and also that smaller square box where the wires go in to the left of the TIPM closer to cab of the truck ( sorry I don't know name) after that it was fine. The most recent problem is when Im driving it almost like just looses power, Ill be going 45/50 2000 rpm and it will drop all the way to 1100 then shoot back up, it does this for at-least 20/30 seconds. Once again Im lost and I don't know what direction to go in. There have been more issues but Im not sure if they are important.

View attachment 242233

1617041E-C283-4B00-971B-636658A61C91.jpeg

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Im lost! I own a 2007.5 6.7. Ive had it for about 4 years. Some days are great some days not so much! When I first got the truck on the drive home the truck began to accelerate on its own. I had to throw the truck into Neutral and turn the truck off once I was at a slow enough speed. I then tried to start it back up and it wouldn't start! Once home I did all the basic stuff first, Check for codes, check the fuel and what not. No codes not even a check engine light, and the fuel looked ok. I ended up buying a new ECM, and it started right up. Little nervous to drive since last time I drove it, it accelerated on its own, but it was fine, for about 6 months. This time it started I was backing up and the truck stalled and kept flashing "water in fuel" I checked my fuel and to me didn't see like there was, I drained it a little, and still wouldn't start. Got it towed home.This time it was down for about a month. Then back to fine. Couple months back I was backing out of my driveway the pedal went completely dead, and Ive already replaced the throttle sensor once. I got out I banged on the TIPM a couple times and also that smaller square box where the wires go in to the left of the TIPM closer to cab of the truck ( sorry I don't know name) after that it was fine. The most recent problem is when Im driving it almost like just looses power, Ill be going 45/50 2000 rpm and it will drop all the way to 1100 then shoot back up, it does this for at-least 20/30 seconds. Once again Im lost and I don't know what direction to go in. There have been more issues but Im not sure if they are important.

View attachment 242233

View attachment 242234
Do you have a scan tool? If not, you could really be wasting your money by throwing parts at it. Find a shop to work with or a friend with a good scan tool. You really need to see what is going on inside the Cummins ECM and the TIPM and the only way to do it is with a scan tool.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ive tried all kinds of different Scan tools. It doesn't communicate with ECM or Says no codes
If your scan tool will not communicate you need to verify that the wiring is good between the OBD port and the ECM.

What brands of scan tool have you attempted to use?

With a scan tool connected can you see the other modules on the truck and view their data or DTC's?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Make sure your PCM main harness connection is clean with no bent pins and completely connected to the PCM.

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
First off, thats a nice truck!

I would definitely check the grounds and then look at the ECM connectors for bent pins, or maybe some rotting wires somewhere. What other issues are you having? Bad grounds can cause a whole mess of problems, so theres a chance they could all be related

As for a scantool, if you plan on keeping your truck (or any FCA vehicle) I highly recommend the OBDLink MX+. Paired with AlfaOBD you can connect to every module on the truck and it will show you all the module-specific fault codes along with data that could possibly help pinpoint your issues. Then later on you can go in and change a bunch of different factory settings if you wanted to

The MX+ is the only scantool I've had any luck with on my '06. Even the dealers were unable to connect to my truck with their tools, but that could've just been because they didn't know how to lol