Egr cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wadecool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am losing a quarter gallon of coolant a day with no evident leak. The truck has no performance issues and temps are normal. Took truck to dealer for oil change and they diagnosed bad egr cooler. I bought a new one online and it will be waiting for me when I get home.

I have 1500 miles to go to get home. Is it going to be safe to get home without damaging anything else? Is there anything I can do to rig current egr cooler til I get home?

thanks in advance.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Unfortunately it's not good for the coolant going into the DOC/DPF

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Unfortunately it's not good for the coolant going into the DOC/DPF
So, you are saying it's not good to drive the truck with this issue because it could damage those components? What about all that coolant going through the engine? I assume that's where it goes first. But then I don't have the best understanding of these emission systems.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So, you are saying it's not good to drive the truck with this issue because it could damage those components? What about all that coolant going through the engine? I assume that's where it goes first. But then I don't have the best understanding of these emission systems.
Since it's turning the coolant to gas and recirculating it through the combustion chamber, it isn't doing much, if any, damage to the engine itself. I wouldn't say it's good for it though, since coolant doesn't really burn, and it is likely lowering your combustion chamber temperatures, meaning you are likely not getting a good complete burn. That's adding a LOT of soot to your exhaust, which can clog up your DPF quicker.

So I wouldn't say it's GOOD to run it, but you are likely to make it home and need to replace other stuff in short order.

OP
OP
W

Wadecool

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks for the replies. Any opinions on spending $1000 on a new egr cooler vs deleting it?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would say if you're deleting the cooler, you might as well delete the egr valve as well, but that generally takes tuning to turn off the codes for it being non-functional.