EGR service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, I just replaced the CCV filter and Perform Service won't stay off with reset.
Dealership walked over, lifted hood and told me I needed a $650 EGR cleaning without any other diagnostics at all.

I've had a bunch of these cummins with our company with well into the hundreds of thousands of miles and never had to do this- this truck as 69k. Sound scam or legit? I could really use some thoughts on this, thanks.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
1. Dont accept non troubleshooted repairs.

2. Make sure your doing the reset procedure correctly.

3. Yes, a dirty EGR/EGR cooling line can illuminate "perform service" light.

4. A quick pop of the hood for a visual inspection can not properly diagnose an EGR, unless it has physical surface damage. In which case, a cleaning isnt going to fix it.

5. pretty sure 69k miles is to early to do an EGR clean, unless it idles alot.

6. I'd do it myself if I were you. Just make sure to grab the gaskets first. 1 between valve and valve seat, 2 on EGR lines between EGR and intake.

7. Procedure is simple but can be a pain cleaning off the carbon. Also a great way to save $650.

8. If cleaning the EGR dosent fix it, atleast you know the EGR is good for a awhile and move on to the next step

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the reply!

This dealership said it's supposed to be done at the same time as the CCV filter. Sounded like bunk when he was talking about it- the way he was talking about it.

It has 70.5k miles and has 360ish idle hours.

sb2bb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dodge Ram 2012 diesel your suppose to do a EGR remove and clean at 67,500. My Perform Service light comes on every time I start it and I have 74,000 miles on it now. Was at the dealer yesterday and he said $295.00 for this service.