Email from Ram, Triggered Malfunction Powertrain Indicator Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eagle rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
New guy here. Need some advice.

2017 5.7Li Hemi 66,000 miles very well taken care of!
2 times in 2 weeks get an email from Ram Service that thee is a triggered Alert Powertrain Malfunction Indicator Light issue

The truck is running well, no lights are on. The light is illuminating at starting as all of the lights do for a moment (normal operation). I plugged my code reader in and got a No Codes on the reader display.

Anyone have experience with this?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is the battery original? Vehicles nowadays can do strange things when the battery starts to go bad.
The warning lights on the dash illuminate when you go to start the vehicle it's part of the self testing.

OP
OP
E

eagle rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not sure but it probably is. That was a typo in my original question, I can't recall if the light is flashing on when I turn the key.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You might try having the vehicle scanned for stored codes. A regular OBD scanner or auto parts store scanner might not be able to read stored codes but auto parts store will scan for free.

fancyface630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Got same email. Nothing comes up in my Uconnect dashboard. All system are passed.i did notice itsgot my mileage at 300k but i only have 34k . this was the email:
2017 Ram 1500 Classic
Mileage: 340,537
VIN: **********4184
View your maintenance history
Vehicle data last updated: 2/14/2022

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm wondering if this is just spam or a fishing attempt. I can say I've owned several different Ram trucks since 2015, and I've never received an email from Ram Service (whoever that is) for any reason. I'd be especially dubious if the mileage was off by a factor of 10. Is there a phone number included in this email, or just a link for you to click? What are they wanting you to do? Unscrupulous people are getting quite good with these types of attacks, and people fall for them all the time. I can't say for sure that's what these emails are, but I'd be very wary of them. If you want to follow up on this you might want to call your dealership at the very least, and ask if this is something they've heard of. Or just ignore them if you have no other reason to think there's anything wrong with your truck.

turnerje

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This wasn't phishing. I got the same notifications and they were from Ram... I think they were having issues with their alert system. I am also getting the malfunction indicator light error from time to time. I thought it was from me adding the Crux camera interface to my radio on my 17 Power Wagon. Now I don't think it's related at all. It could be those of us that switched the 4G adapter (stock radio using sprint won't work anymore) are the ones having this issue with the indicator light. I may just turn the service off. My malfunction indicator light (check engine) is working correctly. It just goes off faster than the other lights (i.e. tire pressure)..

RAM4500Greg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 liter
New guy here. Need some advice.

2017 5.7Li Hemi 66,000 miles very well taken care of!
2 times in 2 weeks get an email from Ram Service that thee is a triggered Alert Powertrain Malfunction Indicator Light issue

The truck is running well, no lights are on. The light is illuminating at starting as all of the lights do for a moment (normal operation). I plugged my code reader in and got a No Codes on the reader display.

Anyone have experience with this?

I have a 2022 RAM4500 diesel. I have received about 6 email messages from “RAM Service” ([email protected]) telling me I’ve had “(1) Powertrain engine malfunction light”.

I made an appointment at the dealer. I’ve never had a check engine light or a message on my dashboard message screen.

The dealer saw two “soft codes” (codes that don’t set a check engine light)

- low DEF level: I did run my tank down purposely to verify I would get a message.
- low engine coolant: my coolant level was fine. My assumption is I have had my truck on a few very steep grades. Maybe that set the “soft code”. I never saw a warning on my dash.

The dealer said my truck is fine.

I tried calling RAM customer support. They are totally worthless. You cannot speak with anyone that has knowledge on your issue. I tried to explain to them that their email system should not send me an email telling me I have a problem if the truck’s software doesn’t set a check engine light.

Very disappointing.

Attachments

• 7BF874FC-F84F-4491-918D-2960267ABB3D.jpeg
    7BF874FC-F84F-4491-918D-2960267ABB3D.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 1

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have a 2018 Limited on Sprint and my father's 2018 Longhorn is/was on At&t. He's recieved emails like this and I have never. They also stopped sending the monthly health report emails to me.
Just something I've observed.