Ram Eco Diesel Hose busted on radiator flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BLimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
We had our 2014 Ram eco diesel in for a recall with the fuel issue. We took it to a dealer in San Antonio. They told us that there was a check engine light on when there was not and they told us that it was the water pump. The water pump was changed out 2 1/2 years prior by another mechanic. The dealer told us we needed to flush the radiator but while flushing it they told us that a hose broke because it was brittle and they now have to remove the cab to get to it. Total for this is $3200 with part only $100 of that. Have you ever heard of such a thing because I have not? Should that be their responsibility since they 1st, did not highlight the risk and 2nd it happened while they were flushing it? They seem to be escalating the cost of repairs intentionally.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Following this one, snake oil to me tho from the $tealership
Not sure tho

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Probably the turbo coolant hose. It is a biotch to replace since it is under the intake manifold in the valley between the cylinder banks. It can be done without pulling the cab. However, the new part must be disassembled and only the rubber hose and front hard line are used. The rear hardline stays on the engine.

The dealer probably won’t do it this way since disassembling the new part and reusing the rear section it not an FCA approved procedure. Find an independent shop if you want to have it done for less than the dealer price.

Check this video for the procedure. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dudLfrdUbHg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Darn..sorry to hear your experience. I would be upset too. I would have a very difficult time swallowing that estimate w/o seeing exactly what they are talking about. If a person trusts the shop, you'd say, "Dem's da Brakes" and figure they found something that could potentially save you from destroying your truck's engine (a much BIGGER bill!!), and pay to have it done (there or another shop). These days, with parts being so 'tight' in the engine compartment, *some* parts DO take a long time to change. I was at our GM dealership a while ago talking to the guys and they had to disassemble the front grill, remove the AC & raise the entire truck cab of a certain 2500 series diesel tk, in order to service a turbo!!

You might stop into the dealership and have them show you what's going on. Take you right to the truck. Maybe that would help get resolution. Ask if there's a cheaper way to do it (you're short on $$). I personally don't like to go into something being paranoid or untrustworthy, so maybe a measure of "Trust but verify" is needed here.

And as pointed out above, there might be ways to do it for less. But ya have to be carefull there too. We've all had things come back to bite us, when trying to pinch dollars.. (I have! lol).

Good luck. Let us know how the rest of the story unfolds

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Here is what it looks like with the transmission and transfer case removed. Can't really do anything to service the hose from the rear of the engine other than free up the rear hard line fitting. The other end requires removing the intake manifold as shown in the previous video. Some serious labor hours to replace that 4" section of hose. Can't think of a worse place to put a rubber hose. The designer is either a villain or hero depending on your perspective.

The first photo is the rear fitting that is attached to the turbo.

1715265525568.png

And here is the hose.

1715265476222.png