Emergency door release???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking for my interior fuse box on my 2019 rebel. I found it behind the panel below the steering wheel. While I was looking I also discovered another panel to the left of the one you have to take off for access to the fuse block. It's about 3x3 inches and It just pops off. when I took it off there was a lever with a yellow cord attached to it. when you pull thee cord the lever comes out like it is releasing something. I could not see what it goes to but it seems that it may be an emergency release of some sort. Possibly for something that is electronically controlled that if you loose power it will release like maybe doors, emergency brake or ???
Does anyone know what it's for?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was looking for my interior fuse box on my 2019 rebel. I found it behind the panel below the steering wheel. While I was looking I also discovered another panel to the left of the one you have to take off for access to the fuse block. It's about 3x3 inches and It just pops off. when I took it off there was a lever with a yellow cord attached to it. when you pull thee cord the lever comes out like it is releasing something. I could not see what it goes to but it seems that it may be an emergency release of some sort. Possibly for something that is electronically controlled that if you loose power it will release like maybe doors, emergency brake or ???
Does anyone know what it's for?
It's the transmission release,so you can move it if it's dead.You can't put the 8 speeds into neautral if the batteries dead,or it has an electrical issue,pulling that release,allows the transmission to go to neautral,so it can be moved/towed etc.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It's the transmission release,so you can move it if it's dead.You can't put the 8 speeds into neautral if the batteries dead,or it has an electrical issue,pulling that release,allows the transmission to go to neautral,so it can be moved/towed etc.
Is that on all the RAMS?

Edit: Never mind - I just found it in my manual.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Is that on all the RAMS?
All 8 speed 1500's it is,and i'd guess it'd be the same on the newer HD's with the 8 speed.I'm not sure if your truck being an older HD if it'd have the release cable or not,but it's easy enough to check.If your yruck has a removable cover in the lower left hand corner of the dash,pop it off,the release cable is easy to see,if it has one

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All 8 speed 1500's it is,and i'd guess it'd be the same on the newer HD's with the 8 speed.I'm not sure if your truck being an older HD if it'd have the release cable or not,but it's easy enough to check.If your yruck has a removable cover in the lower left hand corner of the dash,pop it off,the release cable is easy to see,if it has one
Yes, I found it in my manual. And my truck is a 2023, not yet an 'older' model.;)

OP
OP
Mil T

Mil T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did not get a manual for my truck. Sure would be nice if they had this information somewhere in the truck on one of the stickers like they put on the visor or maybe in the glove box. Kind of important feature since loosing power, like a dead battery, is more common than anyone thinks. Tow truck operator should also know this info.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The Emergency Neutral Release Mechanism has 2 variations

When they first installed it, there was/is a safety catch that has to be moved to the side, before you could pull that Orange Cord

From what i understand, that Safety Catch kept getting broken, by Ram owners & especially Tow Truck Drivers.
So they eliminated the Safety Catch

I will post a video of the Rams with the Safety Catch

If you were to just yank on the orange cord, without releasing the safety catch, you could break the release mechanism :(

I am not sure about vehicles after 2018, but i think they removed the safety catch.

I would look on YouTube to be sure

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Owners manuals are free online, just create an account at mopar.com
I didn't need to sign in or create an account. I just downloaded mine from here:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not get a manual for my truck. Sure would be nice if they had this information somewhere in the truck on one of the stickers like they put on the visor or maybe in the glove box. Kind of important feature since loosing power, like a dead battery, is more common than anyone thinks. Tow truck operator should also know this info.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FYI: Do not count on the tow truck operator popping a cover, and pulling a release. Been to just TOO many crashes: Regardless of brand: Especially on flat beds: Tow guy just align wheels, hook up cable, and winch that truck up. He is not gonna even shift outta park unless he has to to turn wheels. But on auto's, they just usually just drag it up with the rear wheels sliding. Especially on front end crashes. They just jerk the whole rig up there, horizontal the ramp, tie down the truck, sometimes, and away they go.

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A sticker's not a good idea. The transmission release can be used to steal a vehicle if the thief has a rollback and a winch. A good thief already knows it's there, but they may be making their own key fob instead. No sense telling the bad ones about it with a sticker.

One company sells a metal cover that installs over the release in the Chargers, Challengers, and 300s.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can download the complete manual from the Ram site, no account is required. Can store it on your phone, can be searched using key words. It is listed under the support section. Also you can order the full paper manual if you want one in the pickup. .

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One company sells a metal cover that installs over the release in the Chargers, Challengers, and 300s.
I think that's Brian Roman you're referring to.
I bypassed that issue on my wifes 1320,lol

Attachments

• IMG_4391 (2).JPG
    IMG_4391 (2).JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 9

brian42

Military
Reaction score
You can download the complete manual from the Ram site, no account is required. Can store it on your phone, can be searched using key words. It is listed under the support section. Also you can order the full paper manual if you want one in the pickup. .
If you're the original owner RAM will send you the first paper copy for free.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you're the original owner RAM will send you the first paper copy for free.
Does the factory not put a manual in the glovebox anymore? Give you one free if you ask, otherwise save a tree?