Engine brake always on. Alfaobd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark413d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Hello everyone. I have a question regarding alfaobd and 5th gen 2020 3500. I've been trying to find out of you can use alfaobd to program your truck so that the engine brake is always on. My guess is this is not an available feature, because I've had no luck when searching this feature.
Thank You

I've attached some screen shots of what I've found in the alfaobd app. I think this only changes the instrument cluster message?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_075701_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_075701_AlfaOBD.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240222_075724_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_075724_AlfaOBD.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240222_075733_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_075733_AlfaOBD.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240222_075741_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_075741_AlfaOBD.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
What you are selecting in that menu is to TEST and illuminate the exhaust brake so it will come on and show on the cluster.
What you're asking to do is On initial startup to have the exhaust brake ON automatically instead of having to hit the button every time.
I've tried and never heard of anyone being able to do it with AlfaOBD. There is an aftermarket company that offers a module that plugs into the OBDII Port and gives you features including that. But I can't remember the name right now and it cost a few hundred bucks.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What you are selecting in that menu is to TEST and illuminate the exhaust brake so it will come on and show on the cluster.
What you're asking to do is On initial startup to have the exhaust brake ON automatically instead of having to hit the button every time.
I've tried and never heard of anyone being able to do it with AlfaOBD. There is an aftermarket company that offers a module that plugs into the OBDII Port and gives you features including that. But I can't remember the name right now and it cost a few hundred bucks.

If your thinking of the Tazer by Z automotive, they don't have a feature of automatic exhaust brake on. I did add it to their" Future list" of features but who knows if and when they get to it. I have one on my Rubicon and its great, But the features for the Ram are fairly limited so i haven't done it yet.

OP
OP
mark413d

mark413d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I haven't tried the app yet. I was just scrolling around to try and find that option. On at start up without pressing the button. By the description I saw it is an instrument option.

OP
OP
mark413d

mark413d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
If your thinking of the Tazer by Z automotive, they don't have a feature of automatic exhaust brake on. I did add it to their" Future list" of features but who knows if and when they get to it. I have one on my Rubicon and its great, But the features for the Ram are fairly limited so i haven't done it yet.

I believe Tazer has a great security code option to disable the truck to thieves. I'll be looking at that as well

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Also, a go around to get what you want, is to take a trailer plug socket and a 5ohm resistor connected to ground and electric brake terminals. This will "trick" the truck into thinking you're hooked to a trailer and it will automatically turn on the exhaust brake. If you have 5th wheel prep with the bed plug receptacle you can plug it in there.

OP
OP
mark413d

mark413d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I did read about this option. Does it change anything else on the truck or is it just the engine brake that comes on?
That seems like an easy fix. Yes I have the 5th wheel prep.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
My truck if I also turn off the rear backup sensors it will remember that too. But I don't know if it will do that automatically. You'll have to try it. I just push the button. Lol

OP
OP
mark413d

mark413d

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
My truck if I also turn off the rear backup sensors it will remember that too. But I don't know if it will do that automatically. You'll have to try it. I just push the button. Lol
That's how I've been doing it too lol. My son has a tune on his 2016 and it's comes on automatically. A nice feature but I don't want a tune on it.