Engine dies, but starts right back up immediately.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, I know this has probably been brought up before, but it's my turn. I've got a '13 Ram 1500, Hemi 2WD, 6-speed with 131k on the clock. Saturday I was driving through a parking lot, came to a stop sign and the engine shut of....no check engine lights, and all other dash functions were fine. I slipped my truck into neutral and it started right back up. It ran fine the rest of the day. Today it did the same thing after I stopped at a stop sign, again it started right up, no check engine lights and ran fine the rest of the way home.

I noticed both times that something weird was going on with my trans, nothing alarming, just weird. Saturday when I put it into drive, it seemed like it went into it fairly hard. But today it took it a moment to go into drive.

Anyone know where I can start looking? I'll be putting a code reader on it today to verify any codes, but looking for some possibilities as to the cause.

Thanks!!

DirtyWipers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm no mechanic but I would get the fuel pressure tested...Sounds like a sick fuel pump.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Trans acting up might be low on fluid. Warm it up and pull the dipstick.

Engine stalling sounds unrelated to trans. You need 3 things for an engine to run.
Fuel, Spark and reasonably close timing. Shutting off is usually lack of fuel. Start there and see where it takes you.

OP
OP
D

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I thought about the fuel pump, but it doesn’t stutter, and when I restart, it doesn’t struggle to start. It immediately fires. Also, zero trouble codes pulled last night.....

When driving around town or on the highway, I feel like I have all power out of the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey all, I know this has probably been brought up before, but it's my turn. I've got a '13 Ram 1500, Hemi 2WD, 6-speed with 131k on the clock. Saturday I was driving through a parking lot, came to a stop sign and the engine shut of....no check engine lights, and all other dash functions were fine. I slipped my truck into neutral and it started right back up. It ran fine the rest of the day. Today it did the same thing after I stopped at a stop sign, again it started right up, no check engine lights and ran fine the rest of the way home.

I noticed both times that something weird was going on with my trans, nothing alarming, just weird. Saturday when I put it into drive, it seemed like it went into it fairly hard. But today it took it a moment to go into drive.

Anyone know where I can start looking? I'll be putting a code reader on it today to verify any codes, but looking for some possibilities as to the cause.

Thanks!!

Hi Danes,

If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you notice the tach showing surging RPMs at all? I had crankshaft and camshaft position sensors go out on my 2001. The crank sensor would sometimes feed bad info to the tach making it go squirrelly, and the computer would try to compensate for the bad data. Needless to say, it died two or three times while on the interstate while headed to the mechanic to get it fixed.

OP
OP
D

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you notice the tach showing surging RPMs at all? I had crankshaft and camshaft position sensors go out on my 2001. The crank sensor would sometimes feed bad info to the tach making it go squirrelly, and the computer would try to compensate for the bad data. Needless to say, it died two or three times while on the interstate while headed to the mechanic to get it fixed.

No. No surging or any other adverse running/driving conditions. RPMs just drop to 0. I don’t even turn the key to the off position, just shift to neutral and it starts right back up

lancepinnell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe need a new battery. I had an old Durango do the same thing on me, and it was the battery going.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped it off at the dealer this afternoon, I’ll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No. No surging or any other adverse running/driving conditions. RPMs just drop to 0. I don’t even turn the key to the off position, just shift to neutral and it starts right back up

Neutral Safety Switch

OP
OP
D

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, the local Ram dealer hasn’t been able to diagnose it. They’re transferring it to the Yucca Valley dealer which is the primary service shop.....

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please do keep us updated. My 2011 is doing something similar, but now it just won't start at all. All the lights in the truck and gauges work, but when you turn the key to the start position I get nothing. I am to the point that I believe the whole fuse panel (tipm) needs to be replaced. It seems like a bunch of information goes through that, and it's not serviceable. I'm hoping it fixes my weird transmission issues and the stalling when stopped

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
On my 14 1500 when i had a no start no crank i would tap on the wcm then it would start. When i put the key in and turned to start i would have some power in the cab but not everything. I would leave the door open and tap the wcm till i heard the door chime. Then it would start. But it never died on me while running so this may not be the same thing.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please do keep us updated. My 2011 is doing something similar, but now it just won't start at all. All the lights in the truck and gauges work, but when you turn the key to the start position I get nothing. I am to the point that I believe the whole fuse panel (tipm) needs to be replaced. It seems like a bunch of information goes through that, and it's not serviceable. I'm hoping it fixes my weird transmission issues and the stalling when stopped
Neutral safety switch bad or needs adjustment ??

HemiHavoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Neutral safety switch bad or needs adjustment ??

That was my first thought, but I'm not getting power to the starter relay in the fuse panel which I am told is to be hot at all times. As far as I know the neutral safety switch or key don't inhibit power to the 30 side of the relay, so I'm not sure what else it could be.

OP
OP
D

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Talked to them today, they said that the over-run clutch has gone bad causing the torque converter to not disengage coming to a stop, as well as causing other damage. Will need a rebuild......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500