Engine noisy in ECO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
2018 RAM 1500 5.7 Crew Cab w/approx. 60K miles. Lately I seem to have noticed more engine/mechanical noise when the ECO light is on.

Any suspects? Truck is maintained by dealer under Mopar extended warranty. We live in rural southern Colorado (elevation 6,000 but frequently up higher) and occasionally tow a small travel trailer <2,500 lbs.

My hearing isn't getting better and I wondered if there's some system/s I need to have checked.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lifters are known to fail in these engines... and, while the factory will never admit it, the MDS system (indicated by that ECO light) is a major culprit.

As far as the engine generally sounding noisy and less happy when in ECO mode, that's because it's only running on half the cylinders. Whenever I'm driving our 2019 I use the Gear+/- buttons on the wheel to put it in 8... that disables ECO.

I paid for a 400hp truck, I want 400hp. Don't give a crap about another 1 or 2 MPG. All the MDS does around here anyways is kick on, kick off, kick on, kick off because we are in the NC foothills. If it were Texas or Florida with mile after mile of flat road that might be a different story.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine got noisy around 136k. I have been running lubegard biotech for the last 24k miles and its smooth. Agreed with the above post. I disable my MDS every time I drive it. I bought a V8 not a 4 banger.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The ECO light has nothing at all to do with anything mechanical including MDS. It simply lights up to tell you are driving ECOnomically (you can actually disable the light in your radio settings). MDS is a different calculation based on load, speed, rpm's etc on when to drop out the cylinders.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat