EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Hey guys! So tomorrow I'm getting my 10,000 mile service... But I'm also having them check into a check engine light =( . The truck has been running fine and this is the second time it's come on. The first was about 400 miles ago and I got a "P26A7" code (see below for description) . I took it to the dealership after having the code scanned at my local O'Reilly auto parts store and the dealership couldn't figure out any code for the check engine light. So I finally told them what I found when I scanned it and they said it was no problem and to just ignore it. If it comes back on bring it back in. Typical dealer talk. We won't fix your ****, till its really ****** up so they can charge more! Anyway sense then it has come back on but I've been unable to have the code checked seeing as I live in the middle of no where and don't have a personal scan tool.

The last thing I need is my trucks check engine light either, A. being on all the time, B. Randomly popping up causing a huge wast of fuel, personal time, and additional milage. Or, C. a numbness to the light such to the point where I'll think it's the same high voltage circuit when it's actually a different problem.

Anyway I've had it going on 4 months now Is there anyway of twisting the local dealers arms to fix the issue?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408020057901.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408020057901.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 111

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you download the Torque app and get an obd II adapter off eBay it can read and clear engine codes...$4 for the app and $25ish for the adapter...Just a heads up, nice thing to have

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
If you download the Torque app and get an obd II adapter off eBay it can read and clear engine codes..

Thanks you for that and I'll look into it. I've never heard of a obd II adapter. Are there multiple types and brands? If so could you recommend one or better yet provide a hyperlink?

Thanks!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I believe there is a key dance you can do to show codes on your evic
Get in with the door shut
Turn key to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON

If that doesnt work just try turning it back to off
Or it might not work at all

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
I believe there is a key dance you can do to show codes on your evic
Get in with the door shut
Turn key to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON
Or it might not work at all

That has worked on all my Dodges since my 1985 Omni up to my wife's 2010 Journey, but sadly it does not work on my 2013 RAM :(

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I'm keyless, push button start Haha. What I don't understand is I have a huge dash, with a screen practically bigger than the first TV with a "message" section. Why can't the codes show up there. It would be easier to diagnose and repair.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm keyless, push button start Haha. What I don't understand is I have a huge dash, with a screen practically bigger than the first TV with a "message" section. Why can't the codes show up there. It would be easier to diagnose and repair.

It probably doesn't because they don't want you seeing what is really happening and being able to correct issues without taking it to a service center, AKA Stealership.....

Kestrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
How did the 10K service go, and any updates on your CEL?

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I apologize everyone I thought for some reason I had. I'm out of town at the moment and only have my cell so I'll keep it short.

The check engine light was apparently caused by my HIDs giving a false voltage reading on one of my sensors. I don't believe that to be true because I've had those lights for 6,000 miles or so before any problems have arisen.

In other note they didn't believe me when I told them it needed the penzoil euro synthetic blend. They said the penzoil full synthetic that they use on ever other vehicles is what it's supposed to have. Several minuets later after calling 2 techs and getting the service manual and owners manual finally they believed me... Idiots... They also don't top off the DE Fluid like it said they do in the owners manual but I'm glad they didn't because they charge to more and it would of thrown off my calculations. I've gone maybe 2500 miles sinse I topped it off and it's at a half tank... After its empty I'm going to talk to the dealership because something is wrong here. Everything else I was told looked great. Trucks running fine and no check engine light after that.

Kestrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I apologize everyone I thought for some reason I had. I'm out of town at the moment and only have my cell so I'll keep it short.

The check engine light was apparently caused by my HIDs giving a false voltage reading on one of my sensors. I don't believe that to be true because I've had those lights for 6,000 miles or so before any problems have arisen.

In other note they didn't believe me when I told them it needed the penzoil euro synthetic blend. They said the penzoil full synthetic that they use on ever other vehicles is what it's supposed to have. Several minuets later after calling 2 techs and getting the service manual and owners manual finally they believed me... Idiots... They also don't top off the DE Fluid like it said they do in the owners manual but I'm glad they didn't because they charge to more and it would of thrown off my calculations. I've gone maybe 2500 miles sinse I topped it off and it's at a half tank... After its empty I'm going to talk to the dealership because something is wrong here. Everything else I was told looked great. Trucks running fine and no check engine light after that.

On the DEF usage issue, how many of those 2500 miles were at 105 MPH?
On a serious note, 3 gallons of DEF over 2500 miles is 833 MPG of DEF. That's about half of what they claimed it should do, but have you compared your usage to other peoples usage? It think I remember reading somewhere that people were seeing 900 to 1100 MPG of DEF.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
I haven't actually compared, I've been really busy with my job, girl and Great Dane Puppy to spend much time on the comp.

I haven't been driving in access speeds. The limit up here in AK is 65mph so that's what I go most the time. On occasion I'll push it to 70 but that's it. Not including passing of course. So I'm not sure what's going on. I'm going to wait till it's empty before I take it in.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I'm getting about 6500 miles per tank of DEF, I fill it with a little less than 1/8 left. At $2.89/gallon at the pump at pilot I have much bigger things to worry about. Plus a constant 27-28 mpg average, hand calculated makes up for it. So roughly 7 gallons goes almost 6500 miles for me, so about 925 miles per gallon.... Or $.003/mile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
At $2.89/gallon at the pump at pilot I have much bigger things to worry about. Plus a constant 27-28 mpg average, hand calculated makes up for it.

If you mean to say your DEF is 2.89 a gallon your right I wouldn't worry about it. However no where here in Alaska that I know of has DEF at gas stations besides the 2.5 gallon containers. And those are about 20 dollars give or take a few bucks depending on where you go.

Hand calculated I'm getting pretty close to what my EVIC is saying +/- .5 mpg. The low number your seeing from fuelly is from the first 4k miles where I towed a trailer bringing my overall average way down. But even at my norm of 26ish once you calculate the DEF, additional oil over gasoline, additional special oil price, diesel prices over the gas your not actually doing all that great. If I'm getting about 2/5s what I "should" be in DEF I'm definitely going to investigate.

B-g-K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Right, 27-28 mpg is diesel mileage. You guys don't have any bigger truck stop fueling stations? Its very convenient to just top it off exactly at the pump. You're never short and you never have a little left in the bag in box type. Try looking locally at bigger chains like Walmart or keep an eye out for parts store sales... At the end of the day though even if you get it for $15/2.5 gallons you're kind of splitting hairs

I'd find it hard to believe that local truckers with SCR equipped rigs are buying it 2.5 gallons at a time. Maybe they order it in bulk though.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Right, 27-28 mpg is diesel mileage. You guys don't have any bigger truck stop fueling stations? Its very convenient to just top it off exactly at the pump. You're never short and you never have a little left in the bag in box type. Try looking locally at bigger chains like Walmart or keep an eye out for parts store sales... At the end of the day though even if you get it for $15/2.5 gallons you're kind of splitting hairs

I'd find it hard to believe that local truckers with SCR equipped rigs are buying it 2.5 gallons at a time. Maybe they order it in bulk though.

We have 330 gallon IBC totes full of DEF fluid for the machines we test, I'm sire they'd have it bulk as well

Try this website, it'll tell you where you can find DEF fluid, maybe there's a dealership or shop near you that sells it
Find DEF at FindDEF.com - Your Source To Find-Locate-Discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid

Kestrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Hey Mr. Asmith9,
Does that Westin Cattle Guard interfere with your front parking sensors?
Thanks,
-K

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Yes it does, unfortunately with it attached I cannot use the front sensors. It only covers two of them but the dealership said unplugging those 2 wouldn't work. I'm sure there is a way to fool the sensors into thinking there isn't anything Infront of them. But honestly I don't care enough to try.

Esgordon123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It's been awhile how is the truck doing? Also have you had any problems with the def in the cold? I know that stuff freezes at 16degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
It's been awhile how is the truck doing? Also have you had any problems with the def in the cold?

In short Esgordon, The truck is performing great... When its not in the shop. It's spent a fair amount of time there as of late. In Total 25 Days this year alone. Just yesterday my check engine light came on and I had to once again take it to the dealership to get it serviced.

None of the issues whispered above where related to the DEF fluid. I have heard of a lot of people having issues with it. In response to those issues most are user error to the best of my knowledge. Yes, the DEF fluid freezes at cold temperatures however RAM planed accordingly for this. In addition to having DEF tank heaters the engine does not require the use of DEF when the ambient temperatures are below a certain point. With that in mind the majority of the 'issues' I read and heard about from Facebook or locals was from a overall lack of DEF fluid. Their DEF tank was to low causing the EVIC system to warn them that unless they added fluid the engine would go into a limp mode in X miles. of course the EVIC doesnt say it in those exact terms nor does this explain every issue regarding the DEF systems that people experienced. I know there are people out there that had real issues with them and not just user error.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
EDIT: I apologize for the poor image quality on the R/Os unfortunately I couldn't upload the PDFs like I had hoped and when I converted them to jpgs, the forum resized them making them difficult to read.

Truck issues to date

Some of you will recall a post I made back in August about my check engine light coming on and the dealership sawing it a false code. Well it most definitely wasn't. But that was my first real issue. Here is a quick summary of the issues, check the attachments for the actual repair orders.

8/5/14 - Check engine light came on, took to dealership they checked and cleared the code as a curtsy (which means no R/O was opened). They stated it was a High Circuit Issue, Probably a false code and sent me on my way. I had independently scanned the code before bringing my vehicle to the dealer and I received a P26A7 Code 'Engine Coolant Bypass Valve A Position Sensor Circuit High'

Check Engine light repeatedly comes on and off.

8/15/14 - While having a 10K Mile service I had them diag. the check engine light again and this time they stated "Scanned vehicle for codes, two codes (P26AB & P26A7) caused by aftermarket fog lights. Possible faults codes may be present in the future." I protested there explanation as I knew what the P26A7 code was and there was no way my HID Fogs from the Retro Shop could cause circuit issues with anything as they received power directly from the battery and have capacitors to boot. Alas Lithia of Anchorage insisted they where right and sent me on my way.

The check engine light repeated to come on and off over the next few weeks until I eventually stayed on and I noticed my Transmission was no longer coming up to temp, I had thought it was due to the cold but I was wrong. As Lithia of Anchorage insisted that my check engine light was due to my HID Fogs I grudgingly replaced them with my stock lights, reset the code, and my check engine light turned right back on. To say I was less then thrilled would be a safe assumption. So I called Lithia of Anchorage and tried to schedule an appointment, they weren't taking any for at least 2 to 3 weeks out. As I'm a relief worker and don't have a real set schedule and as Anchorage is a 300 mile drive from my work I decided I'd try the Fairbanks dealership which is only 80 miles away. The whole reason I was going to Anchorage for all the above services is because all my free time was spent courting a woman ;). I called Gene's Chrysler of Fairbanks and they where also setting appointment a few weeks out but not having much of a choice I made an appointment.

10/23/14 - Dropped off my truck first thing in the morning as per my appointment, the Tech found the codes P26AB and P26A7, yes the same ones as before, after further diagnostics the tech discovered several parts had gone bad (See the R/O for more detail on the parts) due to the nature of the repair the vehicle was deemed undriveable. Parts needed weren't on hand and needed to be ordered so they placed me in a Rental for a week until the repairs could be completed. I picked up the vehicle 10/30/14

4 months later in late January the check engine light came on and the next day I had it looked at in Fairbanks

01/21/15 (Wednesday) - Check engine light Diag. Found code 'P204f' (Didn't state what the code meant on the R/O unfortunately) They updated my PCM cleared the code, and sent me on my way.

Two days later (Friday) on my way to work the check engine light came back on, almost immediately after the 'Service Electronic Throttle Control' Light came on, and my vehicle went into limp mode. Top Speed was about 30mph. I was less than thrilled as I had another 60 miles to drive before I got to work and my shift started in just over an hour. It was about 4am when this happened. That afternoon I called the dealership and informed them what happened and they said to bring it back in and they'd do what they could. After I got off work a 3pm I made the slow drive back into town but by the time I actually made it to the dealership they where closed, however I left my vehicle there.

1/26/15 (Monday) - Officially dropped off my vehicle for repairs. A few hours later the Tech Diagnosed the issue and stated the ECM needed replaced, which of course they didn't have on hand so needed to order, but they would be giving me a rental until the service was completed. They got the part in the following Monday, replaced and returned my truck to me. I picked up the vehicle 2/2/15 exactly 7 days later and just in time for work, once again I work out of town and don't commute every day but at the start and end of my work weeks, typically 4 days.

2/3/15 (Tuesday)- Check engine light came back on, So I called the dealer and told them I'd be bringing the vehicle back on Friday after I got off shift.

2/6/15 (Friday) - On my way into town to the dealership about 40 miles out the 'Service Electronic Throttle Light' came back on and the engine went into limp mode. +- 30mph... As you can probably tell at this point I am far less than thrilled in fact I'm just plain infuriated. I luckily get to the dealership before they close this time and ask if they can get it in the shop and looked at. They state they are to busy to get my vehicle in even though it is an ongoing issue. I ask for a rental car but they explained they they can't give me one unless my vehicle has been looked at. I have work the next day and need some form of transportation so I call Chrysler and explain my situation. They called the dealer on my behave but unfortunately the company Chrysler has their rental cars contracted through (Enterprise) Didn't have any Chrysler vehicles available. so I had to do without.

At this point let me explain that the weather was around -40F during late January. It was around -20F when my truck went into limp mode the first time. it got done to -40F while my truck was in the shop and went back up to around -20F when I got my truck back the first time until it went into limp mode the second time. With this severe cold snap a lot of vehicles stop working, understandably, and for this reason Enterprise didn't have any Chrysler vehicles to loan out. However, I don't believe the severe cold was causing these issues with my truck because when it was the coldest, my truck was at the dealership. So I actually have no idea how it operates in real Alaska Temperatures.

2/9/15 (Monday) - I called the dealership to check on the status of my truck. They haven't seen it yet Hopefully tomorrow
2/10/15 (Tuesday) - Called again, same answer.
2/11/15 (Wednesday)... 2/12 (Thursday).... 2/13 (Friday)... ETC.

2/17/15 (Tuesday) - Diagnosed issue, 'Moisture in charge air system' Took apart and cleaned. Completed repair 2/19 (Thursday). Picked up same day.

Luckily that has been the last of the limp mode issues I've seen. knock on wood.

A few days ago, the check engine light on. The next day I had it looked at.

3/6/15 (Friday) - Diag check engine light, found code 'P20EE' 'SCR NOx catalyst efficiency below threshold' and 'P204F' 'reductant system performance' in the notes in that R/O it states that the code P204F will cause the code P20EE to turn on as well. However the Tech couldn't reproduce the issue so they advised that I return the vehicle if the light came back on for further tests.

There you have it, the issues I've had with my truck this far. This post has taken me about 2 hours to type, and it is very late, so I apologize for any typos I may have missed in my proof read. There is also more detail of the repairs on the R/Os that I've uploaded with this post. I have blocked out all my personal information and nothing more.

Although I may not post very often anymore I am still here to answer any questions you guys may have.

Attachments

• Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_01.jpg
    Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 174
  • Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_02.jpg
    Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_02.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_03.jpg
    Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_03.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_04.jpg
    Repairs 2014-08-14 to 2015-02-19_Page_04.jpg