Errant TPMS, Passive Immobilizer, Trac Control light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeyS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been fighting with my 2009 Laramie (only 60K miles) for about a month now and am praying someone can point at what to do next. It started acting up with TPMS alerts on the way to work one morning. Then at lunch it wasn't recognizing the remote I had to unlock the door. That day I went and got my other remote and same situation with no recognition on the buttons being pressed on either remote (I did find the unlock disc seperated from the membrane in one remote so it was constantly contacting the little circuit board, but have corrected that). I got in and started it but it would shut off after 2 seconds (passive immobilizer I am pretty sure). After a few attempts it started and stayed running, with a constant TPMS light, the red security light stays on, and the ESP trac control flashes off and on intermittantly. Now it sometimes recognizes the remotes buttons being pressed but not always, when I put the key in the ignition it recognizes it sometimes, when I turn the key most of the time everything powers up but sometimes it doesn't and there is normally a delay. When the dash does light up and I turn the key to start it cranks most of the time, and starts but often just shuts right off. Sometimes when I shut if off, remove the key, and open the door the info center dings and tells me the key is still in the ignition. So far I have-

Read and cleared codes with Snap On ODB Reader- Codes that keep returning are U0168, U0100, U0141... There are more, and I can get more detail on those if it will help. Also can't access the ECM/PCM and other components with that reader, they appear as if they are disconnected...

Sent TIPM into Carcomputers.com, very unhappy with them and suspicious if they did anything to it before sending it back a week after they received it, got the exact same one I sent to them back... $400

Put new batteries in both remotes, and verified 3+VDC on the batteries.

Put a brand new battery in the truck.

Mechanic and I chased wires at connectors and couldn't find anything conclusive at all, using his oscilloscope function on OBD we could occasionally see the square waves in the comm network wiring but it would come and go without anything specific seeming to trigger it off and on...

Sorry for such a long post but wanted to be as thorough as possible, thank you!

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
check your roof-mounted fin antenna Sometimes they go on the fritz My friend had the same thing happen, the dealer changed the fin on the roof and it did not happen again.