eTorque Battery Saftey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am one of the many lucky RAM 1500 owners who experienced water leaking in the back window, a known issue going back some time from my research. My truck is a 2020 Limited with just under 35k miles. Just out of factory warranty. Well, the estimate came back at $13k. Not only does the back window need replaced, but the water ruined the RF Hub and eTorque battery. Not only am I just outside the factory warranty my extended warranty will not cover it either. Furthermore, my model truck just happens to NOT be covered under the extended warranty RAM issued for these rear window leaks, although they recognize the issue and “see it all the time.”

Everything I read says this is not a recall scenario because it does not create a safety concern. This makes me wonder if there are any safety concerns related to a malfunctioning RF Hub or eTorque battery. Thought I would put this out there to see if anyone smarter than I might know of any safety concerns that could result from water leaking onto a poorly placed RF Hub and eTorque battery when RAM knows the back window has issues with leaking. If this issue would create a safety concern I suspect they would have to recall ALL those trucks in 2019-2020 that have emerge batteries and all new models since this is now in every truck. Somewhat grasping at straws here, but the entire situation is not right. Thoughts?

OP
OP
C

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lithium batteries do not mix well with water.

I can't see how that's not a safety hazard, at least in the real world.

You might try contacting @RamCares via private message to see if they can assist.

Thanks. I’m smart enough to know there is an issue here, but not smart enough to know what risks. I have talked to RAM Cares, but it’s been 3 days and waiting. Next step will be lawyers, but trying to see if there is a case here before talking to him. Appreciate your comment.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I’m smart enough to know there is an issue here, but not smart enough to know what risks. I have talked to RAM Cares, but it’s been 3 days and waiting. Next step will be lawyers, but trying to see if there is a case here before talking to him. Appreciate your comment.

There have been very selective warranty extensions issued by FCA. Selective in that they only apply to specific Ram models when in reality, they should cover all like vehicles.

I'm not saying that I have any knowledge of a warranty extension that covers an E-torque model RAM but keep making posts here and hopefully, someone will post the info.

@turkeybird56 has a copy of an extended warranty notification for the CHMSL leaking, I'm not sure about the back window leak.

Check the TSBs in the following thread to see if they apply.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There have been very selective warranty extensions issued by FCA. Selective in that they only apply to specific Ram models when in reality, they should cover all like vehicles.

I'm not saying that I have any knowledge of a warranty extension that covers an E-torque model RAM but keep making posts here and hopefully, someone will post the info.

@turkeybird56 has a copy of an extended warranty notification for the CHMSL leaking, I'm not sure about the back window leak.

Check the recall notices in the following thread to see if they apply.

I also have the backlite (back window) warranty extension, and also an Air Dam extension that I did not know I had till I signed in at Mopar Owners and looked at warranty information. I just either did not get the letter for the air dam or maybe I threw it out, lmao.

OP
OP
C

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Check the recall notices in the following thread to see if they apply.

Thanks! I did receive the extended warranties for the CHMSL, but they say the leak is not coming from there. As for the Back Window, my truck was “selectively” not covered. Thanks again.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks! I did receive the extended warranties for the CHMSL, but they say the leak is not coming from there. As for the Back Window, my truck was “selectively” not covered. Thanks again.

You're most welcome.

Did you read the TSB called backlite.pdf?

backlite TSB.jpg

DIAGNOSIS: If the customer describes any of the symptoms listed above in the customer symptom section, perform the Repair Procedure.

Updated;

I know this is small potatoes compared to the cost of a new battery but if FCA are accepting the window as a manufacturing defect, how can they deny other damages as a result of this same window failure?

I'm quite aware of FCA's selective acceptance of liability but, one step at a time. I see this as more ammunition for your cause which can hopefully be resolved with diplomacy rather than legal action.

Regardless, we still need to build the case with info like this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did review this TSB and probably 50 others like it to see what I can find. You are spot on, I have zero interest in getting my lawyer involved! Just trying to really understand the issue at hand and if it is really something I should be responsible for. If so, I’ll give them the go ahead tomorrow. Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten far with RAM…Yet…as you said, the more I learn on this the more it sounds like a manufacturer issue. Furthermore, if others are experiencing similar issues there is a potential safety concern when a lithium battery and water mix that probably needs to be considered. This forum has been very helpful to me stating my case. Hopefully RAM listens. Next step would be reporting to NHTSA and maybe local news if they would investigate. I’m convince there is something here. We’ll see.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am one of the many lucky RAM 1500 owners who experienced water leaking in the back window, a known issue going back some time from my research. My truck is a 2020 Limited with just under 35k miles. Just out of factory warranty. Well, the estimate came back at $13k. Not only does the back window need replaced, but the water ruined the RF Hub and eTorque battery. Not only am I just outside the factory warranty my extended warranty will not cover it either. Furthermore, my model truck just happens to NOT be covered under the extended warranty RAM issued for these rear window leaks, although they recognize the issue and “see it all the time.”

Everything I read says this is not a recall scenario because it does not create a safety concern. This makes me wonder if there are any safety concerns related to a malfunctioning RF Hub or eTorque battery. Thought I would put this out there to see if anyone smarter than I might know of any safety concerns that could result from water leaking onto a poorly placed RF Hub and eTorque battery when RAM knows the back window has issues with leaking. If this issue would create a safety concern I suspect they would have to recall ALL those trucks in 2019-2020 that have emerge batteries and all new models since this is now in every truck. Somewhat grasping at straws here, but the entire situation is not right. Thoughts?
I thought the bumper to bumper warranty was 3/36 an did you not have looked at the first time before the end of 3/36? If so one would think it should be covered...

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There were a few interesting posts in the link I listed with the TSBs but I didn't notice any E-Torque trucks.

Try using the search utility at the top right of the page. I'll try to spend some time searching for leaking E-Torque trucks and post anything find.

Good luck in building your case and please keep us posted on the developments.

Dieldrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 ETorque
Your ETorque battery is covered by the Federal Emission Warranty and has an 8 year 80K mile factory warranty. There was a thread on here somewhere but all I have handy is this screenshot.
Good luck

Attachments

• Warranty info for etorque.JPG
    Warranty info for etorque.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 23

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I went to the dealer about four weeks ago. It is impossible to order a RAM 1500 5.7 without that generator/starter/ 48 volt battery system. What a stupid mistake RAM has taken. I will keep mine and run it till it gives out, rebuild it and keep going!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the dealer about four weeks ago. It is impossible to order a RAM 1500 5.7 without that generator/starter/ 48 volt battery system. What a stupid mistake RAM has taken. I will keep mine and run it till it gives out, rebuild it and keep going!

That's odd!

I can still build a 2024 1500 Bighorn with a regular 5.7 on the Canadian Ram site.

2024 Ram 1500 Bighorn 5.7 build.jpg

David Roark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8 e-Torque
I have an E-Torgue 2020 and the dealership finally repaired my light and replaced window in December. So e-Torgue's are covered. If they were not included, the TSB's would have to say so. My Hub etc. burned out in '21 and truck had to be towed to dealership. They replaced under warranty and then again in '22. After 3 and half years, I finally have a truck that stays dry in the rear. I now have to find out and have it fixed with problem of water under the drivers side floor mat. When I showed dealership during the inspection for the water pouring in at rear, they said the water in rear was getting to front floorboard. But that particular problem is still going on. But I consider it a blessing I finally got the problem of window leaking in the rear. I had four cracks in frame of the window on the inside of cab. Ram needs to repair all the trucks with leaks. Hoping my extended warranty (Route 66) handles the front. Think it is clogged A/C tube.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I won’t lie and say it doesn’t worry me, because it does. I’ve taken the precaution of sealing the 3rd brake light and using the Permatex on the back window but, I shouldn’t have had to. I have 80k miles now on my 19 and fully believe the only reason I didn’t have issues is because she’s garaged and I have a company car for daily use. I believe it’s water in the channel freezing and buckling the seals and frame.

I’m actually surprised that RAM doesn’t care enough about this to not just fix it themselves on a recall for prevention. Not only does this affect us current customers and our opinion and satisfaction, it influences future customers. As I type this I think about the big picture… A company that’s trying to sell 100k+ SUV’s on 8 year notes to middle class families… really doesn’t see the big picture.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I believe you are not on target with the above statement. You can order a classic without etorque.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t buy a pack of these water leak alarms and put them across the rear under seat area.

The internet can instill enough paranoia in one’s mind to do so. And sometimes it’s warranted.

zrock

Reaction score
Well obviously your local dealer is not going to bat for you.. instead of a lawyer i would go with the local news and local social media. They have deeper pockets than you for a court battle but going with the local news and social media will do way more damage than they can afford and usually they will change their tune as soon as they hear that.

OP
OP
C

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your ETorque battery is covered by the Federal Emission Warranty and has an 8 year 80K mile factory warranty. There was a thread on here somewhere but all I have handy is this screenshot.
Good luck
The battery would be covered if it failed on its own. The issue is that the battery failed due to the back window leaking water on it. The back window leak is not covered by this and caused the battery failure. This is where I struggle, because RAM recognizes this is a common problem with their design.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357