RF Hub fried from leaking window.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrsantos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Figured I'd ask here. Truck got rear window replaced for the leak. Started it up this morning to get it to the dealer, dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. I thought christmas was over, truck said nope. Had every single warning and light on. Service ESC, service Airbag, forward collision not working, service ABS. Drove it to the dealer, wouldn't go past 3rd gear. Bought a new battery thinking low voltage, still didn't fix it. Now the truck will not start, will not lock and unlock with the key fob (definitely bad RF hub).

Dealer ordered a new RF hub and coming in Tuesday even though they didn't actually diagnose it yet, I showed them pictures of the RF hub having water on it, and the internal board having corrosion from water.
Would a bad RF hub send out all those messages or would it be in conjunction with something else?

Thanks for your input guys.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
First WELCOME to the group.. Great people great info

WOW what a Bummer Christmas gift ! Hope all is covered by Warranty !
I am no help but following

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
We had our RF hub go out because of the rear window leak. In our case the truck was just totally dead one day. No warning like you got. Took over three months for the hub to come in. That sucked. Even after replacing the RF hub, they initially weren't going to replace the rear window if you can believe it. When I brought up the fact that the RF hub failed because it got wet they just figured we left the slider open. It wasn't until I showed them the cracks in the rear window frame as well as the TSB for that, that they then agreed to replace it. They also had the interior detailed because in that time mold had started growing under the floor mats.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got the same news, but maybe worse. I have a garage kept 2020 Ram 1500 with under 35K miles. Dealership had my truck for a week to diagnose the leak ruined the RF Hub AND the eTorque battery. A $13,000 estimate. Limited Warranty just expired and Extended Warranty won’t cover it. Unreal how many similar stories. This is really sad.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just got the same news, but maybe worse. I have a garage kept 2020 Ram 1500 with under $20k miles. Dealership had my truck for a week to diagnose the leak ruined the RF Hub AND the eTorque battery. A $13,000 estimate. Limited Warranty just expired and Extended Warranty won’t cover it. Unreal how many similar stories. This is really sad.
Have you looked into whether your insurance might cover it

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I just got the same news, but maybe worse. I have a garage kept 2020 Ram 1500 with under $20k miles. Dealership had my truck for a week to diagnose the leak ruined the RF Hub AND the eTorque battery. A $13,000 estimate. Limited Warranty just expired and Extended Warranty won’t cover it. Unreal how many similar stories. This is really sad.
Check this thread to see if the extended warranty might cover this. Also, hit up @RamCares to if they can help.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good grief, what disasters. Might be a good idea to pull the back seat and try to rig up some sort of water diverted over this RF Hub - but I assume it requires some ventilation.

when did they change the rear window type in these? I thought 2022 would have the new design window.

$13k to replace sounds outrageous.

scott511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the eTorque battery should still have some warranty on it. Doesn't the eTorque system have a longer warranty than the rest of the truck?
I had a silverado with eAssist (basically same thing as eTorque) and the warranty on that system was 8/100k.
I think I have read somewhere that under some federal law hybrid systems have to be warranted for 8-10 years. I have no reference for this though.
Not sure if a fried from water leakage hybrid battery could even be covered under warranty. Hopefully so.
Good luck.

Adjutant

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Laramie
Engine
That makes me sick to my stomach. I am totally covered through 137K miles for anything that might go wrong. However, a 13K repair bill would be catastrophic. There should be NO 2 component parts that require a 13K bill. Maybe if your engine totally ***** the bed, but NOT an RF Hub and etorque battery (I have etorque)

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Did they actually fix this window leak issue in the newer models? My truck is a garage queen, and is inside when not being driven. But this would be deal breaker for us, if mold was present at all.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO, anybody who has E torque should check their rear area under seat ref 48V and RF hub area very frequently to insure no leak found there. I do not have E torque but I always check under the rear seat after a substantial rain, just a habit I got into (due to rf hub also). Kinda like PMCS, which I do every month on truck. (Military PPL relate to that acronym).

RAM did issue a Warranty Extension for Certain years ref rear window leaks and CHMSL leaks. When I find it I will post it. Here U go OP's.

Warranty FCA Backlite-1.jpgWarranty FCA CHMSL.jpg

Attachments

• 23-098-23 TSB Back Window.pdf
    312.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did they actually fix this window leak issue in the newer models? My truck is a garage queen, and is inside when not being driven. But this would be deal breaker for us, if mold was present at all.

I hope they did. My window is different than the pictures I see of leaking windows with a cracked frame. There’s no visible frame on mine. I assume that’s the change but can they still leak - I hope they dont???
IMG_1687.jpeg

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
That makes me sick to my stomach. I am totally covered through 137K miles for anything that might go wrong. However, a 13K repair bill would be catastrophic. There should be NO 2 component parts that require a 13K bill. Maybe if your engine totally ***** the bed, but NOT an RF Hub and etorque battery (I have etorque)
If you have the Mopar extended warranty, the back window and frame is consider glass and glass is not cover under the Mopar extended warranty. There are some earlier posts on the topic.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Good grief, what disasters. Might be a good idea to pull the back seat and try to rig up some sort of water diverted over this RF Hub - but I assume it requires some ventilation.

when did they change the rear window type in these? I thought 2022 would have the new design window.

$13k to replace sounds outrageous.
I pulled up a picture of a 2022 RAM and it has the same rear window (lacking an exposed frame) as my 2023, so I guess the transition took place before then. Not a good omen for future rear window leaks unless this was actually from the antenna or upper, center brake light.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
What is a rf hub? A wheel bearing / hub assembly comes to mind but it can’t be that I assume?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is a rf hub? A wheel bearing / hub assembly comes to mind but it can’t be that I assume?
What is the function of the RF module?

d9GcRShdiiTdSma0Rksoktoam-e-3riIViEFv_kM0SrarmIA&s.jpg

An RF module (short for radio-frequency module) is a (usually) small electronic device used to transmit and/or receive radio signals between two devices.

It intergrates between your Key Fob and the Ignition/Win module in the truck. If the hub gets wet and shorts out/goes bad, the truck will not see/recognize your FOB and you may not be able to start truck.

FYI: RF Hub is active 100% of the time, powered on, ready to receive the signal from the key Fob To Lock/Unlock truck, receive remote start command, and if you have a high end truck, like to Lower tailgate, on some will also work windows, etc, just depends upon options and trim levels on added functions beyond: Open/Lock, remote start

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hardly sounds like something combined with a 48 volt battery that should amount to a $13,000 repair does it?

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hardly sounds like something combined with a 48 volt battery that should amount to a $13,000 repair does it?
That is what I thought. $5k to replace battery, $2,500 core charge for disposing of battery, $1,500 for RF hub, and then investigation and labor fees. Just crazy.

cccr676767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven’t had the work done yet. Still researching what they are telling me and other option before handing over $13k.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357