Etorque not working with ac on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandonbbbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorque
I picked up the limited longhorn yesterday and love it so far. The start stop function will not work with the ac on? is this normal? is there a certain temperature I need to set it at in order for it to kick in. I haven't driven the truck 100 miles yet and it's only averaging 13mpg. Does this naturally improve over time?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the HVAC system is calling for the AC to run, it normal for the engine Start/Stop to not turn off. There are other engine parameters that keep the engine from not turning off when you stop. Battery charge and engine temps can also keep the engine from stopping while driving.i
Your fuel economy is directly derived from how the vehicle is being driven, if the truck is idled a lot of aggressive with the accelerator pedal the fuel economy numbers will be low. If you were really concerned about fuel economy, should have gone with either of the V6 options.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If the cabin is still cooling or if your air/heat is on max, the engine will not shut down.

OP
OP
B

Brandonbbbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorque
If the HVAC system is calling for the AC to run, it normal for the engine Start/Stop to not turn off. There are other engine parameters that keep the engine from not turning off when you stop. Battery charge and engine temps can also keep the engine from stopping while driving.i
Your fuel economy is directly derived from how the vehicle is being driven, if the truck is idled a lot of aggressive with the accelerator pedal the fuel economy numbers will be low. If you were really concerned about fuel economy, should have gone with either of the V6 options.
I am only concerned with the fuel economy at this point because it is no way close to what it is supposed to be getting. I think it may be improving and it may be because its brand new. How does the battery charge because its on the lower side of the gauge?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, at least on my Pacifica, if the seat belt is not on then the stop/start also doesn't work.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How does the battery charge because its on the lower side of the gauge?
There is an Intelligent Battery Sensor on the negative post that feeds information to the ECM for controlling how/when the battery is charged. Lots of short trips or a battery that has a bad cell can be some of the causes of low voltage.
The engine Start/Stop feature isn't going to make massive fuel economy improvements, it will be in the realm of a tenth of a gallon.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As Crash said above, if AC is on, stop/start doesn't. I have other cars (no-ram) that do same thing.
I use to turn on the AC in winter just so that stop/start wouldn't work :)
Don't know about Ram, cause I got mine without that feature on purpose. But other cars
with same type of thing, saved nothing, just annoying feature.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I picked up the limited longhorn yesterday and love it so far. The start stop function will not work with the ac on? is this normal? is there a certain temperature I need to set it at in order for it to kick in. I haven't driven the truck 100 miles yet and it's only averaging 13mpg. Does this naturally improve over time?

Like crash says, you're fine. There are so many reasons the start/stop won't kick in, i.e. engines to cold, AC is running, etc. As far as the mpgs you won't be able to get a good reading until the engine is broken in better. It took around 3K miles for my Wrangler to show any improvement. Plus, remember, it's a big truck. It ain't gonna get great mpgs anyway. Enjoy that new Ram.

OP
OP
B

Brandonbbbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorque
Like crash says, you're fine. There are so many reasons the start/stop won't kick in, i.e. engines to cold, AC is running, etc. As far as the mpgs you won't be able to get a good reading until the engine is broken in better. It took around 3K miles for my Wrangler to show any improvement. Plus, remember, it's a big truck. It ain't gonna get great mpgs anyway. Enjoy that new Ram.
Thanks wanted 33. Yeah the start stop worked when I had the ac on earlier so it just depends on a lot of factors, I suppose. Not sure why everyone keeps saying the truck won't get "good" gas mileage. Do they not get the MPG the sticker says? What are you getting mpg wise?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There is an Intelligent Battery Sensor on the negative post that feeds information to the ECM for controlling how/when the battery is charged. Lots of short trips or a battery that has a bad cell can be some of the causes of low voltage.
The engine Start/Stop feature isn't going to make massive fuel economy improvements, it will be in the realm of a tenth of a gallon.
The savings you'll see with etorque is directly related to the amount of stop and go traffic you drive in. Especially if the red lights/stops are long. I do almost no city driving, so I don't really see any fuel mileage benefit from etorque. But I can see someone getting a substantial fuel mileage increase if they regularly have to stop at long red lights.

Wanted33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks wanted 33. Yeah the start stop worked when I had the ac on earlier so it just depends on a lot of factors, I suppose. Not sure why everyone keeps saying the truck won't get "good" gas mileage. Do they not get the MPG the sticker says? What are you getting mpg wise?

They should get close to the rated mpgs. My previous '13 F-150 with the 5.0L was rated at 21 highway, and it would do that on a perfect day. One of the things to remember is the manufacturers methods, most of time, don't recreate the real world. We have to drive in rain, head, and cross winds. All of those kill the mpgs on the rolling billboards we call a truck. That old F-150 would lose 2-3 mpgs in ahead wind on the interstate. I'm a bit older than most here I suspect, and remember the day when I was happy my old truck would get 10 mpgs. Never did I think I would see a full size truck get even 21 mpg. And, they do it so much more comfortable than the ones of yesteryear. :)

One thing to remember, in town driving, and the way you start from a stop has the greatest affect on mpgs. I have a '20 Ranger with the 2.3L turbo now. First turbo I ever owned. I was getting crappy intown mileage (10-13 mpg) until I found I was putting my foot in the turbo everytime I pulled off from a stop. I learned, and it does 19-20 around town now. That big old right foot gets me into trouble a lot of times. And I'm betting my Ram with the 5.7L will suck down the gas until I get used to that beautiful music coming out of the tail pipes. :)

BTW, all this is from my past experience with trucks. My Ram is still on order. Hopefully I can put it to the test soon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank