etorque shifting question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Anderson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I am currently looking to replace my 2012 1500 which has been great to me. I went today and test drove a 2020 Laramie with the etorque. Most of what I am finding around me has the etorque so I wanted to see first hand what it was like. It was the smoothest start stop of any vehicle I have ever driven. What I was confused by was the way the truck shifted gears. I felt jerky to me. Upshifts felt like the truck was lurching forward. It felt like an old muscle car with a shift kit. I thought the etorque was supposed to make the shifts smooth? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Shifts up and down as smooth as silk on both of our eTorques. The only thing to get used to is what feels like a jake brake kicking in when you go to slow down - this is the regenerative process kicking in to use that energy to recharge the eTorque battery behind the rear seat.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would give it another year to let the bugs get worked out . Plus battery replacement cost is another factor.

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I would give it another year to let the bugs get worked out . Plus battery replacement cost is another factor.
Battery replacement costs? There are none for the first eight years or 85,000 miles of ownership as it is covered under warranty. And like the Prius and other hybrid batteries, there is a cost to replacing it one day but based upon the driving experience I’m more than willing to do so given all the benefits of the eTorque system.

Last edited:

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well ok then.

CG2742

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What exactly is the purpose of the etorque? Seems many ppl don’t get a mpg boost. It’s like a loophole for builders to get around epa regulations or something.

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Etorque very smooth start/stop

msedly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2019 Big Horn with e-torque. It definitely has the least invasive stop-start that I've ever driven. I really like that it doesn't use the starter which increases wear substantially. I don't know that I really save all that much fuel in town, but I do feel it working in low speed (25-45 mph) situations. It tends to stay in 4 cylinder mode while using e-torque to add power rather than cutting back over to 8 cylinders.

Overall I like it, but I don't know that it would be a make-or-break thing for me. There was a used truck on the lot that I drove and liked and it ended up having e-torque.

Bose48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I test drove the HEMI and the HEMI E Torque and couldn't tell any difference. Granted, it was a short drive with both and not much stopping/starting.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I am currently looking to replace my 2012 1500 which has been great to me. I went today and test drove a 2020 Laramie with the etorque. Most of what I am finding around me has the etorque so I wanted to see first hand what it was like. It was the smoothest start stop of any vehicle I have ever driven. What I was confused by was the way the truck shifted gears. I felt jerky to me. Upshifts felt like the truck was lurching forward. It felt like an old muscle car with a shift kit. I thought the etorque was supposed to make the shifts smooth? Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

The shifting will get smoother as the trans and engine adapt to your driving style. It takes a few hundred miles for this to happen.