Exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djrydin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all, Just bought a used 2008 1500 Big horn 5.7 Hemi with 60,000 mi on it. The only thing I've done so far is put a line-x bed liner in it. Love the truck but am wishing for a little bit more growl out of it.

The question is to get a full cat back dual exhaust or just a muffler from flowmaster or magnaflow and just a single tip? Not looking for huge HP gains out of this but just a little bit more of a throaty sound out of the truck. I will prob end up putting a CAI in it in the near future as well.

Any Thoughts?

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out the 14" Magnaflow single in dual out muffler. You could run it with any size tip you choose, I personally chose 4": tips. It has a great sound, check out youtube for some sound clips on Rams. I personally like Magnaflow alot more than Flowmaster, has a more " Hemi" sound to it.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Check with Matt from Moe's performance..a vendor on here..he will get you pointed in the right direction! I went with the 18" Magnaflow and love it!!

OP
OP
D

djrydin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
when you say you got the flowmaster 40, do you mean just the muffler? or did you get the whole exhaust system with dual pipes. Also i heard the exhaust systems dont really sound as good with the whole MDS cylinder management system...any truth to that?

Roll_HEMI_Tide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when you say you got the flowmaster 40, do you mean just the muffler? or did you get the whole exhaust system with dual pipes. Also i heard the exhaust systems dont really sound as good with the whole MDS cylinder management system...any truth to that?

It's partially true. With some systems, the MDS will cause a somewhat annoying drone. To me, it's only really noticeable at low speeds (30-50mph). At highway speeds, it's not that prevalent. I'm running Glasspacks, btw.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's partially true. With some systems, the MDS will cause a somewhat annoying drone. To me, it's only really noticeable at low speeds (30-50mph). At highway speeds, it's not that prevalent. I'm running Glasspacks, btw.

Then when it kicks out of MDS, it'll sound like it almost backfires lol.

Budakane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345ci Hemi
i fing hate that sound...thats Y is turned my MDS off.....gotta hear my cutouts without it soundin like I have a chainsaw under the hood

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Op you may not like the 14 Magnaflow and even the 18 gets pretty Hot but its stainless and still pretty loud but not too bad on the Hwy, Depends how old you are! I like sleaper Mode these days but thats cause I'm Ol'n'ndeaf. A good system that is often overlooked is the Gibson that exits just in front of the right tire but not sure if they make it for your year, it had good reviews for the 02-05's.

Jeff9329

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get started with a SS, 3" mandrel bent tailpipe from Summit or Jegs. It's a generic piece that you will need to shorten a little.

This will get rid of the resonator and give you a little more sound and less restriction for only about $50.

It's a good starting point and looks good.

OP
OP
D

djrydin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
thank you all for your ideas! I actually found a place in my area called Lous Custom Exhaust and they HOOKED it up. They make all their own piping and put a Borla Muffler on it with a dual tip coming out behind the rear passenger side tire. All said and done it ended up costing $400. If anyone is in the New England area i suggest making a visit to one of these shops because they do great work. Went in without an appointment and told them exactly what I was looking for and....1 hr later i had a Borla cat back exhaust system all welded and tight with a dual tip and a mean sound for $400. Cant beat it!