Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 SLT with the 6.7l Cummins. I have 87999 miles on it and a message just popped up on the display. The message reads “Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer”. I have searched this forum and several others as well as Google and I can’t seem to find the answer.

Has this message popped up for anyone else and if so what was it and is it something I can fix myself?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have been getting messages like that for different things on my truck for the last 6 months and when i call the service number they said they don't see anything on their end ....

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
Probably a clogged DPF filter(s) in the exhaust system. This is not uncommon on stock emission trucks. I have read/heard of cleaning them but usually doesn't help much. If the truck were mine, I would take it out for a "hot meal" and get the truck up to full operating temp and run some higher rpms for a while and let it do a full regeneration to see if it will clear the system.

OP
OP
R

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So after reading a dozen other message boards and other research I figured it was one of two things. There aren’t a lot of issues I could think of that would be “exhaust” related. One thing that came to mind was moisture buildup either in the DEF tank or in the CAT because the truck has been sitting for a little bit and most of my recent trips were very short.

The other possibility was a clogged DPF filter but 90% of my driving is on the freeway pulling a load, albeit not a heavy one; less than 11K pounds, and usually 600 miles at a time.

I came to the conclusion that between those two possibilities the fix was likely the same. So as @Dennis Shellito and others suggested I took it out for a hot lap. I used the DSG selector to keep the transmission from shifting above 4th and hit the freeway. I kept the RPMs at about 2500 and drove it for 30 mins. Halfway through the trip the message went away.

Anyway, problem resolved for now.

Last edited:

Disgusted w dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Bought 2020 ram 3500 h o aug 2020 in good faith. Sept 19 2021 towing our 2016 36ft fifth wheel up donner pass in California when light flashes on dash see dealer and completely shuts down. Had to get to side road but only made it part way due to no power stranded in truck lane (sorry truck drivers) called 911 CHP came saw what a dangerous place we are in expedited
tow truck while controlling traffic. Complete miracle no one crashed into us or tow driver got hit!!! Took truck to dealership said bad sensor will be on road next day, we'll dealer called said total fuel system failure metal shaving through out fuel system due to fuel injection pump catastrophe failure dodge is aware of problem fix is total replacement of fuel system (fuel system total replacement and drain clean fuel tank) could take weeks or months to fix. We are left stranded in Reno nev. no way to get trailer home. Dodge is well aware of the problem just haven't issued recall yet. So far we are out of pocket expense 4,236$$ and all our dodge rep says keep your receipts. 1700$ tow bill 350$ to park trailer 1300$ to rent another P O S dodge due to fifth wheel hitch puck system, only 2 dodges in n. Nev have to bring back there 374$ in fuel and 22 hours drive time just to get trailer home!!! Got taxi 24 miles to airport (no rental available)119$ had to fly home 214$ all out of pocket!! Still have to fly back down 214$ get truck when repaired drive it to home 620 miles with new faulty parts. This has been a totally unacceptable nightmare not to mention we just retired and this was our first time to enjoy traveling Totally unacceptable!! Payment due tomorrow and we have no idea when getting POS truck back and no truck in mean time Can't get to feed store have nothing to drive in meantime. What a totally unacceptable situation, but here we are . Hope dodge is listening but highly unlikely

OP
OP
R

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bought 2020 ram 3500 h o aug 2020 in good faith. Sept 19 2021 towing our 2016 36ft fifth wheel up donner pass in California when light flashes on dash see dealer and completely shuts down. Had to get to side road but only made it part way due to no power stranded in truck lane (sorry truck drivers) called 911 CHP came saw what a dangerous place we are in expedited
tow truck while controlling traffic. Complete miracle no one crashed into us or tow driver got hit!!! Took truck to dealership said bad sensor will be on road next day, we'll dealer called said total fuel system failure metal shaving through out fuel system due to fuel injection pump catastrophe failure dodge is aware of problem fix is total replacement of fuel system (fuel system total replacement and drain clean fuel tank) could take weeks or months to fix. We are left stranded in Reno nev. no way to get trailer home. Dodge is well aware of the problem just haven't issued recall yet. So far we are out of pocket expense 4,236$$ and all our dodge rep says keep your receipts. 1700$ tow bill 350$ to park trailer 1300$ to rent another P O S dodge due to fifth wheel hitch puck system, only 2 dodges in n. Nev have to bring back there 374$ in fuel and 22 hours drive time just to get trailer home!!! Got taxi 24 miles to airport (no rental available)119$ had to fly home 214$ all out of pocket!! Still have to fly back down 214$ get truck when repaired drive it to home 620 miles with new faulty parts. This has been a totally unacceptable nightmare not to mention we just retired and this was our first time to enjoy traveling Totally unacceptable!! Payment due tomorrow and we have no idea when getting POS truck back and no truck in mean time Can't get to feed store have nothing to drive in meantime. What a totally unacceptable situation, but here we are . Hope dodge is listening but highly unlikely
Did the message just say "See Dealer" or was there something else before that?

Many of the forums I have been reading said they got the "Exhaust System Failure See Dealer" message and all of them had bad fuel pump systems. Interesting that an exhaust service message would come up for a bad fuel pump.

Disgusted w dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
In fuel ardTruck shut down so fast while going uphill couldn't exactly read warnings while trying to get to side of hiway. Service advisor said: total catastrophic implosion of fuel injector pump metal shavings throughout total fuel system this is do to the Bosch cp 4 injector pump. Star system repair is: replace all fuel system fuel injection fuel pump, fuel rail to all 6 injectors, all injectors, drain fuel in tank because fuel pump in tank and metal shavings were send through out entire fuel system due to injector failure implosion . Truck now has new(? Or rebuild) total fuel system replacement but still with faulty system. Have no confidence at all in fix. Still in Reno nev dealership 700 miles away. FCA (dodge rep) is of no help going to have truck towed from Reno dealership to our dealership in Hillsboro oregon being we have no confidence in vehicle fix after doing research on injector failure. There is a eco boost truck, a 2500 diesel and our 3500 H O with all the same problems There are about 605000 (yes) vehicles with this issue, just not enough to issue recall they are still "investigating" Go to National hiway traffic safety and read and file complaint

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Honestly, a CP3 conversion (it’ll be on your dime) would be beneficial.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
This is why I jumped on my 2018 instead of the 19's that were out.
Anyone with a 2019 or 2020 and is out of warranty needs to do or get the CP3 conversion.
BTW, 2021 RAM went back to a CP3 version pump because of the CP4 self destruct issue.

Osccali

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did end up happening with the error code, I’m going through the same thing and the dealer wants to replace the whole def system. Also doing the fuel pump recall.

OP
OP
R

Robert Mc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The message has come and gone over a dozen times. It always goes off after a few key cycles. It went on again today in fact and after I stopped for lunch and left it was off again. There are no stored codes at all which makes it even worse and I can't get the dealer to tell me anything. What year trucks are affected by the DEF pump recall? I haven't received any notices other than to bring my truck in for new spark plugs. :confused:

danmoore76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Got this message yesterday after only 15k miles. Friend with knowledge said it might be a clogged filter and to run it on the highway at high speed. Will try that later today and see if that takes care of it.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Could also be bad DEF, or a clogged DEF injector. The DEF injector is easy to remove and scrub with a toothbrush. That will usually solve that, if that's the issue.

Lavonhughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
2020 6.7, only 23K miles. I've been dealing with this same issue for about 6 months now. The first time, there was total engine failure, had it towed, it was the upper rail (fuel pump) implosion, sent metal throughout the fuel system, they replaced lines, cleaned the tank, (recall that I never received notification on), etc.
2 months later, the same message, lost half power, limp mode, made it to the airport, and parked it. One week later returned, message was gone, running great for about 10 minutes on the interstate, and then the same thing happened. The next day, drove it to the dealer, and they said it was a relay. One week later, get the truck back. About two weeks later, I got the same message again, limp mode. made it to the dealer, and now they said it was a pressure switch. replaced, and worked well for another two weeks. Now it is on again. I have another appointment on Saturday at the dealer.

I run it on the interstate every week. It never idles other than red lights. the Particulate Filter is not clogged. The dealership has done everything it knows to do (so far). I'm guessing this needs to be a recall, but nobody seems to know what the issue is. I've read all the forms and nobody has figured it out. I did notice that if I park it, turn the engine off, and return a short time later when I start the engine, the message is gone and it runs fine for a couple of days, then ****, the message comes back and into limp mode, we go. I also noticed I don't get a "check engine" light, I only get an "exhaust system service required, see dealer" message.

I'm getting an exhaust issue problem message but they keep replacing things associated with the fuel system.