Factory air compressor for Power Wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Well I have lived with my 17 power wagon for 6 months now. Love the truck. I'm finding all the things I would like to do to the truck however. Exhaust, tires, brake upgrade, g56 swap (eventually). I want to put on board air in the truck for airing up tires and the future bags. My dad has a rebel with the air suspension. That setup is so quiet. Has the factory setup ever been used for what I'm looking to do? Obviously I would need a controller and make up a few brackets but is it doable as far as operation goes?

Attachments

• 20231221_154258.jpg
    20231221_154258.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 7

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I have lived with my 17 power wagon for 6 months now. Love the truck. I'm finding all the things I would like to do to the truck however. Exhaust, tires, brake upgrade, g56 swap (eventually). I want to put on board air in the truck for airing up tires and the future bags. My dad has a rebel with the air suspension. That setup is so quiet. Has the factory setup ever been used for what I'm looking to do? Obviously I would need a controller and make up a few brackets but is it doable as far as operation goes?
Hmmmm. I dont think that would work very well. Not really sure what the factory system/pump consists of, but i know its a sealed system, so not really sure if the pump would be designed for that type of use.

I would just go with a good quality double pump unit that pushes a lot of cfm and be done with it.

Im sure the factory setup would be ridiculously expensive as well.

OP
OP
Kuhndog970

Kuhndog970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Didn't think of that. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Are there any fairly quiet units? I hear the arb twin is pretty abnoxious.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Didn't think of that. Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Are there any fairly quiet units? I hear the arb twin is pretty abnoxious.
Its just an air pump lol. Open the door and crank the radio while they you are airing up haaaa.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not really sure how the factory system is setup. Guess you could always retrofit the factory compressor and just wire it to a switch. The biggest part of the factory system is in the controls that tells the compressor when to turn on and the valves that direct the air to the right position. The other question is what the CFM output of the factory compressor was. Doesn't take much volume to fill up a couple air bags versus inflating all of the tires. I know the Airlifter 5000 airbags on mine literally take seconds to inflate from zero to 55 psi versus inflating a 37" tire from zero to 55 psi would probably take at least a couple minutes (120V 30 gallon shop compressor). Point being is how long it may take the factory compressor to air up tires????

JTBroadfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
As "olyelr" mentioned, under normal circumstances, the air suspension system is sealed. It is charged with nitrogen to help control moisture and the compressor just transfers air between an air reservoir and the wheel springs that need an adjustment. If there are any leaks, the system has the option of putting outside air into the reservoir to keep the system operational. This will dilute the nitrogen charge and any leaks need to be repaired. If the system has to add outside air, the compressor will be somewhat noiser and when it is done, you will hear a short burst of air near the right rear tail light. After adding air to the system, it does this to clear any water or dirt that may have been caught by the outside air/water filter.

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the ARB twin and you are correct, it is quite loud for the size and I'm not impressed with the output. If you are serious about onboard air, get an engine/belt driven compressor. They are leaps and bounds better than any electric compressor.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357