Factory microphone and aftermarket head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lukas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi, is it possible to install an aftermarket head unit and keep the factory microphone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Where there is a will, there is a way but there are no aftermarket plug and play type products available that I am aware of.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one of those with the built in mic on the front of the unit. Had to quit using it as no one could hear me.

Agreed - this is why almost all manufactures stopped doing this.

To answer OP question - you could hardwire the mic in.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My radio is brand new, and a current model. Alpine is still using built in mics. Not sure where you got your info.

You have the X108u correct? That radio came out two years ago. Check anything recently released, all external mics. I am actually surprised that yours has it built in, as all other Alpine radios have been using external mics for as long as I can remember.... and I have installed quite a few of them, easily over 100. It actually looks like yours comes with an external mic as well.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have the X108u correct? That radio came out two years ago. Check anything recently released, all external mics. I am actually surprised that yours has it built in, as all other Alpine radios have been using external mics for as long as I can remember.... and I have installed quite a few of them, easily over 100.

Yes I have the X108U. Their newest model the X208U has a built in mic also. But they include an external mic also.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500X208U/Alpine-X208U.html

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well color me wrong lol. Looks like they still include an external one.. which I think speaks for their confidence of the built-in one. Funny they don't have this in their flagship HALO.

Beleieve me, if my built in mic sounded like ****, I would have commented that, and bought an external mic. My X108u did not come with an external mic. I actually called alpine and told them my radio was missing the external mic. They informed me it didnt come with one! Haha

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beleieve me, if my built in mic sounded like ****, I would have commented that, and bought an external mic. My X108u did not come with an external mic. I actually called alpine and told them my radio was missing the external mic. They informed me it didnt come with one! Haha

Placement on the Ram must be pretty favorable for that set up. That is odd, the manual specifically says it comes with one. I have accidentally thrown away quite a few Alpine mics. On the single din units, they put them in the face plate case, which always got tossed out. I then get almost finished with the install and realize what I had done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357