Fair deal or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBRedwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Today I looked at a 2020 bighorn that was pretty decked out. It included what the dealer calls an extreme package that comes with big off road tires, a leveling kit, sensors, alignment, calibrator, and a wheel lock kit. The dealer claims this is a 4200 dollar upgrade over the tires that come with the night edition which already bumps the msrp up 2000. They were 35 inch toyo tires if it makes a difference. Is this a fair price? I got the price down to invoice excluding the "extreme package".

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Today I looked at a 2020 bighorn that was pretty decked out. It included what the dealer calls an extreme package that comes with big off road tires, a leveling kit, sensors, alignment, calibrator, and a wheel lock kit. The dealer claims this is a 4200 dollar upgrade over the tires that come with the night edition which already bumps the msrp up 2000. They were 35 inch toyo tires if it makes a difference. Is this a fair price? I got the price down to invoice excluding the "extreme package".
You’ll get plenty of responses from others about what “great” deals they got (nobody on any forum ever made a bad deal;)). But it’s not their money it’s yours, it’s your ride and it’s you that has to wake up every morning looking at it in your driveway. If you are comfortable with the price then buy it. If not, then don’t. Nobody else’s opinion matters......and don’t let it.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X1 how about some pics of the Rig and maybe a Pic of the invoice then we can tell you our opinion.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
That package is not from the factory, sometimes dealers install equipment to make the vehicle look more appealing and bump the price. Sounds like a fair price given the upgrades you've listed.

OP
OP
O

OBRedwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a pic of the truck and the window sticker.

This was a package added on by the dealer. Invoice came out to 52515. That is without the extreme package since it has not been negotiated yet.ram (1).jpg msrp.jpg

ram (1).jpg

msrp.jpg

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am assuming in addition to invoice you're getting the available rebates right now? On a 2020 right now you should probably not be paying more than invoice minus any available rebates. It's been a few weeks since I ran numbers, but most of the good deals I could find were 16% off of factory sticker (MSRP). I did deal with one dealer that claimed I was getting "invoice", but he was using rebates to get there.(I'm looking at an add on this screen right now for $2000 retail consumer cash, $2000 bonus cash and $500 finance cash).

Also, if those are factory wheels, I would guess you could do exactly what they did for quite a bit less than what they are charging. The new tires don't need sensors, factory sensors are usually left on the wheel with a tire change (plus the dealer gets to resell the tires that came on there from the factory). The leveling kit is not expensive but would require a few hours of labor to do. Alignment comes with many tire deals. I don't know what a calibrator is, maybe they had to recalibrate speedo with bigger tires? Wheel lock kits are cheap and even come stock on many models.

Not saying this is not a good deal, because it's all about getting that one truck that is perfect for you. You have to decide if $5k is worth it to you for the tires or if you'd like to find one just about the same and take it to a tire discounters to have them do all of that for you for less. I haven't done a leveling kit in 5 years, but I'm thinking it would be significantly less to do a leveling kit and put those tires on it at a local shop.

It is a pretty truck though and if it's not worth the hassle to you to find one like it and re-create this, then I'd go for it as long as those rebates are included. If it's not exactly what you want, find a dealer that will order you a 2021 at invoice or FFP and then when it arrives add all of those options yourself. The money you save in doing the upgrades at a shop will probably be lost in the differences between 2020 and 2021 rebates, but you'll have the exact truck you want.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I cannot get past the sticker. I died a little inside seeing all the writing on it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I cannot get past the sticker. I died a little inside seeing all the writing on it.
Take a couple of cleansing breaths Fran, it's just a printed copy of the window sticker LOL. My local dealership does the same thing. I'm sure the original window sticker is safe and sound.

OP
OP
O

OBRedwolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am assuming in addition to invoice you're getting the available rebates right now? On a 2020 right now you should probably not be paying more than invoice minus any available rebates. It's been a few weeks since I ran numbers, but most of the good deals I could find were 16% off of factory sticker (MSRP). I did deal with one dealer that claimed I was getting "invoice", but he was using rebates to get there.(I'm looking at an add on this screen right now for $2000 retail consumer cash, $2000 bonus cash and $500 finance cash).

Also, if those are factory wheels, I would guess you could do exactly what they did for quite a bit less than what they are charging. The new tires don't need sensors, factory sensors are usually left on the wheel with a tire change (plus the dealer gets to resell the tires that came on there from the factory). The leveling kit is not expensive but would require a few hours of labor to do. Alignment comes with many tire deals. I don't know what a calibrator is, maybe they had to recalibrate speedo with bigger tires? Wheel lock kits are cheap and even come stock on many models.

Not saying this is not a good deal, because it's all about getting that one truck that is perfect for you. You have to decide if $5k is worth it to you for the tires or if you'd like to find one just about the same and take it to a tire discounters to have them do all of that for you for less. I haven't done a leveling kit in 5 years, but I'm thinking it would be significantly less to do a leveling kit and put those tires on it at a local shop.

It is a pretty truck though and if it's not worth the hassle to you to find one like it and re-create this, then I'd go for it as long as those rebates are included. If it's not exactly what you want, find a dealer that will order you a 2021 at invoice or FFP and then when it arrives add all of those options yourself. The money you save in doing the upgrades at a shop will probably be lost in the differences between 2020 and 2021 rebates, but you'll have the exact truck you want.

Thanks for the advice. That is actually what the pretty heated discussion we had at the dealership was about. We were wondering if the price for the tires was factoring in the tires already in the msrp. He is supposed to get back to us sometime soon with a breakdown of the costs of the stuff in the extreme package and then we should be able to negotiate it from there. If anybody knew a ball park price of what they think this "extreme package" would cost at a local tire place that would be great. The pricing we are getting is invoice not including rebates which with rebates makes it about 15% off msrp.