FCA Warranty Info regarding Leak from third brake/cargo light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Palya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 with etorque
Received in mail yesterday, assuming all 2019-2021 5th Gen owners have received as I usually get mail a few days behind most folks , love this forum for all the info.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpeg
    IMG_0163.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 61

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, just received them in the mail today (18 November 2023), had no clue that it was as bad as has been mentioned. I guess FCA is on top of it. LOL

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Good to see they are finally doing something about this long standing problem. Anyone know if the HD trucks have had the same leak issues with the Brake Light, or other common leak areas?

Last edited:

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Hopefully there's been a part revision and they've upgraded the marginal foam gasket.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a water stain on the passenger side rear headliner, 2021 Laramie. I don't know when it got there exactly, I just noticed it one day and haven't been able to catch it wet so it's possible it was a crazy circumstance of wind and rain or something. It's not awful, but certainly a mark on an otherwise pristine interior. I learned recently that my dealer is AWFUL so I'll have to find a new one for future work, but want to be as prepared as possible before going in for this. Are people with leaking center lights seeing leaks on passenger sides or only in the center?

brian42

Military
Reaction score
How you park is going to play into where the water goes and where the stain shows.

I'd get to the dealer sooner rather than later because they will replace the CHSML if that's the culprit but probably not the headliner, especially if you're outside the basic warranty.

The shark fin is another potential leak point up top as well.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a water stain on the passenger side rear headliner, 2021 Laramie. I don't know when it got there exactly, I just noticed it one day and haven't been able to catch it wet so it's possible it was a crazy circumstance of wind and rain or something. It's not awful, but certainly a mark on an otherwise pristine interior. I learned recently that my dealer is AWFUL so I'll have to find a new one for future work, but want to be as prepared as possible before going in for this. Are people with leaking center lights seeing leaks on passenger sides or only in the center?
When I discovered my 3rd brake light leak I had stains on both passenger and driver sides plus the center. I replaced the gasket with some thicker marine gasket material from Home Depot and sealed up the bottom of the shark fin for good measure. Cleaned up the stains with some Oxy Cleaner and you can’t even tell they were there. No problems since and it’s been about 6 months.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good to see they are finally doing something about this long standing problem. Anyone know if the HD trucks have had the same leak issues with the Brake Light, or other common leak areas?
I never had an issue with my 2018 2500, and (knock on wood) no issues with my 2023 2500.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How you park is going to play into where the water goes and where the stain shows.

I'd get to the dealer sooner rather than later because they will replace the CHSML if that's the culprit but probably not the headliner, especially if you're outside the basic warranty.

The shark fin is another potential leak point up top as well.
Yeah that would be a great kick in the nuts for them to say "yeah our crappy gasket ruined your headliner and that crappy $10 gasket is now warranted for 100k, but your head liner is SOL". Wouldn't be shocked though, everything else about the last 3 months of owning this truck has been a kick in the nuts.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Many reported that issue even under basic warranty. The service department would replace the faulty component (shark fin, CHSML, etc.) but would not replace damaged areas (e.g. headliner) from the issue.

GetBit17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got my letter back in December, got my truck in 2 weeks later. Leak was so bad they said I need a whole rear window replacement. Fast forward to yesterday (2/1) I go in my truck and it’s covered in mold from the severity of the leak. I have a 2020 1500 Rebel. This is gonna tank its resale value and its health value. Any recommendations on how to get some compensation? All they’re willing to do is clean my upholstery. My back seat is literally leaking water into the mold colonies.

Lanner1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
We have a 2019 2500 and it is leaking from the 3rd brake light - the truck only has 28k miles but is out of the mfg warranty period, do you think dodge will cover this? i really feel like they should.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Yes, if you did not receive the letter refer to post #1. RAM has extended the warranty of the 3rd brake light to 10 yrs / 150K miles for MY '19 and '20.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357