2019 Rebel Rear Window Leaking and Ram Cares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

229Ready

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Intro: Long time reader and first time posting. I’m having issues with rear window leaks and hoping the resident subject matter experts can provide guidance on how to proceed with @RamCares , my local dealer and repair options.

Vehicle: Original owner of a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Crew Cab 4x4 5.7L Hemi. In-service date June 2019 and current millage is 68,***. Out of warranty but has the MOPAR 5/75 Maximum Care service contract through June 2024 or 75k miles.

Issues: The current problems began in January 2023, prior to which the only mechanical issue was a dead factory battery in June 2022. This is my 5th Ram (1500 & 2500) since 2006 and have had very few mechanical issues. In January after a heavy rain the truck wouldn’t recognize the key fob. There was proper battery voltage but the truck was dead. I contacted MOPAR vehicle protection and they towed it free to a local repair facility who does high quality repairs. I live in the mountains so my selling dealer is 60 miles away, while my local independent repair facility is 1.2 miles away. At the time MOPAR vehicle protection stated the vehicle could be repaired at any repair facility but authorization was required prior to repairs.

The diagnosis was quick. The RF Module was shorted out due to water damage. Upon inspection it was determined that the third brake light seal was defective and consequently allowed water to penetrate the cab, leaking directly on the RF Module. There was also extensive moisture (saturated) under the drivers side rear seat and drivers side front passenger foot well. When the repair faculty requested authorization it was denied. I also attempted to gain authorization and was too denied. MOPAR stated I could still have the repairs completed and submit my out of pocket repair costs for reimbursement (reimbursement is granted on a case by case basis). My repair reimbursement request is being submitted this week.

The leaking third brake light was the beginning of a multi-week rabbit hole and why I’m posting this message. After spending dozens of hours researching leaking Ram third brake lights, rear windows and satellite roof antennas, reading all the Star Online Publications, MOPAR Technical Service Bulletins and the active class action lawsuit (Case No. 2:22-cv-11393-TGB-CI) it was clear there’s a significant water intrusion issue with the 1500 series Rams.

After the truck was fixed and running, I sealed the third brake light and sat antenna with Permatex clear RTV silicone. I applied a bead around the antenna and along the brake light gasket as well as filled the gap between the brake light and vehicle body. I inspected the rear window upper frame for cracks and there were none visible. I then conducted a water test and still had wet areas under the drivers side rear seat and drivers side front passenger foot well.

To find the source of the water intrusion I removed the rear seat, rear carpet and lowered the rear head liner. After conducting an additional leak test the third brake light, antenna and both bodyside aperture exhausters did not leak, but the rear window was leaking on both driver and passenger sides (only vertical areas - see pictures). There are no visible frame cracks. The driver side leak is worse and because the truck is parked facing downhill, the water runs along the rear and front drivers side door wire channel and pool ls in the driver foot well area. I determined that the truck had two separate leaks; the third brake light (now fixed) and both sides of the window.

The truck is going in to the dealer in two weeks and I intend to begin the process of contacting Ram Cares as soon as tomorrow. I have substantial pictures and video documenting the leaks and locations. The truck is clearly out of the 3yr/36k mile warranty, but given that FCA has known for years about the water intrusion issue but never notified owners of a potential issue, I am hopeful Ram Cares will authorize the needed repairs on a goodwill basis.

To temporarily stop the leaking, I placed Flex Seal tape along the window edges. I have also not reassembled the back seat area until a permanent fix has been completed. My local auto glass shop quoted me $600 to replace with window but I’m waiting to hear what Ram Cares and the dealer has to say. It will obviously be required for the glass shop or MOPAR technicians to diagnose and fix the leak if the rear seat area is disassembled, but should I reassemble it prior to going in to the dealer? Not sure if I should be concerned that they could use the disassembly as an excuse to potentially deny repairing the leak. Suggestions on how to approach Ram Cares and the Dealer are very much appreciated.

Lastly my local mechanic suggested I use Permatex flowable silicone glass sealant in the exterior gap between the rear window and vehicle body. He thinks this will seal the leak for good and is a substantially cheaper option if Ram Cares refuses to pay for the repair bill. Thoughts on this option appreciated as well.

Attachments

• 01CF61A3-04F4-4ABA-9104-385BA1D56D77.jpeg
    01CF61A3-04F4-4ABA-9104-385BA1D56D77.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 178930CF-3BFC-4C11-8FC7-C3A7BA693867.jpeg
    178930CF-3BFC-4C11-8FC7-C3A7BA693867.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 79A101D6-3C4A-4BEC-BE92-76E855FA3AD1.jpeg
    79A101D6-3C4A-4BEC-BE92-76E855FA3AD1.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 80

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hey @229Ready ,

Thanks for tagging us in this. We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing so much trouble with your Ram, and we'd love to get a case started for you about this. If you're interested, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lastly my local mechanic suggested I use Permatex flowable silicone glass sealant in the exterior gap between the rear window and vehicle body. He thinks this will seal the leak for good and is a substantially cheaper option
Yes, the Permatex flowable silicone glass sealant works great, I used it on mine and guess what no leaks, check you cabin air filters baffles, there is a new updated filter that works great, they too have been known to leak, more often than not the updated window frame is sometimes worst and will still crack.

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as a master glass tech for many years,i don't recommend using silicone on auto bodies at all as the acid it contains will eat the metal eventually and cause major rust. the adhesive is urethane around glass and bodies. will bond to existing urethane and is best to allow drying time 12-24 hours unless low humidity then longer. it can be dampened to sped the curing.

ChiefPepe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
going to check our 1500 tonight for wetness.

OP
OP

229Ready

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate your feedback and value your expertise, but until MOPAR and FCA unFUBAR their product design and how they support their customer base, then folks like me will be forced to rely on less them optimal field fixes. I’ll take possible rust in 5-7yrs vs a swamped out interior that will lead to rust in 2-4yrs and ruined electronics that could destroy the vehicle. Just my opinion.

Right now the only thing keep water out of my 3rd brake light is a thin layer of RTV silicone. Sorry but I’m not willing to allow my RF Module to be destroyed again by water intrusion due to a poorly designed 3rd brake light.

HoneyB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Experiencing the same rear window frame crack.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2016 developed the same leak but traded it in for a2022 classic Warlock. Bought it in the fall and too cold to tear things apart to reseal , now the warm weather is here its time . I'm not a fan of silicone and will use dicor instead .It is an rv sealent comes in several colors and in a non sag or self leveling type.
I will use black non sag to seal things up , If or when the window becomes an issue I would fill the the gap between the frame and the window opening about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch .Fill it in flush to the outer face of the frame . Great product for that would be the dicor which stays sort of soft and pliable. If a hard flexible sealent is your thing try Sikiflex 221 , shiney black urethane, a little messy to use but tape things up . It is an amazing product but has a a short shelf life and will cure in tube .This stuff stands up on submarines so a truck shouldn't be an issue. Good luck guys ,

Tofik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Sorry to hear, I had the same thing happen to me. My truck died while I was driving on the highway at 80 mph! Got it to the dealer and they misdiagnosed it the first time, didnt really do much to fix it, water dried out and truck ran fine. Few months later, same issues, but now I was at 36,800 miles or so. Dealer was now charging me $3500 to replace the window, wiring and electronics, and RamCares basically told be tough luck, they did not care at all that its a common flaw, and that it was missdiagnosed while the car was still under 36k miles. I feel scammed and disgusted, next truck deffinatley will not be a RAM. Good luck!

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So after all of the complaints where are the lawyers?

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after all of the complaints where are the lawyers?
Great idea, get a class action law suit. Maybe it will be for billions and to think the people with the problems will get 50 cents.

That solves the problem….

ksauers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
There is a class action started by someone in Michigan. I will take years to settle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990