2015 Third brake light leak Laramie 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mommafarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hi, guys! I bought a Lifetime warranty when I took delivery of my 2015 Laramie 1500. Took it to the dealer for a water leak in the left A-pillar and back door headliner. We had already poured water in the sunroof channel, and it all drained properly. Had to have the cap removed for dealer to find the leak. They just called and told me my bill would be $568.00 for the new third brake light and water test!! I’m calling BS on this, because I think the warranty should cover it…….Thoughts??

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, guys! I bought a Lifetime warranty when I took delivery of my 2015 Laramie 1500. Took it to the dealer for a water leak in the left A-pillar and back door headliner. We had already poured water in the sunroof channel, and it all drained properly. Had to have the cap removed for dealer to find the leak. They just called and told me my bill would be $568.00 for the new third brake light and water test!! I’m calling BS on this, because I think the warranty should cover it…….Thoughts??
Ouch! I would assume that would be covered under warranty unless you have a deductible. Ram knows where these trucks typically leak so it should not have taken them long to find the source. Not sure how much a new OEM third brake light goes for but the Dorman replacement is $35 and that includes the light bulbs. Takes 15 minutes to change out and that includes dropping the screwdriver twice, getting a cup of coffee and cleanup. Did the dealer remove the cap?

OP
OP
Mommafarmer

Mommafarmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Nope, the dealer did not remove the cap. I really didn’t want them to do it - not exactly in their wheelhouse. There is a truck cap place not too far from the dealer, so I was more than happy to take it there for the R&R……besides, after 8 years, and 90,000+ miles, it needed re-taped and adjusted anyway. Stopped by the dealer today to discuss the leaky CHMSL……was told that my Lifetime MaxCare bumper-to-bumper warranty didn’t cover it. I flat out told them that I could order an EOM Assy, have my wonderful husband replace the faulty one, and still have about $400 to go on a nice weekend away…….

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is the easiest fix in the world, it is however hard to believe ram never fixed this in manufacturing. Anyhow, get some of that 3m stuff done, mine hasnt leaked since. You can easily see why they leak, the seal is a joke compared to the fix.

30308759195_4d31ec6262_z-jpg.jpg

Notice how the material needs for follow the curves, it has to be done this way, think of this picture upside down. The straight piece that follows the bottom needs to be on the inside, or it can leak.

29678179143_756fae61a6_z-jpg.jpg

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you fully read your extended (liftetime) service plan to determine what is covered and what is excluded?

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, the dealer did not remove the cap. I really didn’t want them to do it - not exactly in their wheelhouse. There is a truck cap place not too far from the dealer, so I was more than happy to take it there for the R&R……besides, after 8 years, and 90,000+ miles, it needed re-taped and adjusted anyway. Stopped by the dealer today to discuss the leaky CHMSL……was told that my Lifetime MaxCare bumper-to-bumper warranty didn’t cover it. I flat out told them that I could order an EOM Assy, have my wonderful husband replace the faulty one, and still have about $400 to go on a nice weekend away…….
I had the leak on a 2016. I read the forums that this Detroit Muscle had a real nice gasket so I bought one. It is really nice. I scraped the old gasket off and put the new one on only to discover that when I bolted it up, the housing was warped so bad that it could never be tightened enough to seal. I didn't want to do a hack job with silicone, so I ordered a new Mopar housing. While I was explaining my dilemma on this forum, someone told me that the OEM bulbs needed to be changed over to LED to prevent the overheating of the housing. Put the new lens with gasket and LED bulbs, I have solved my problem since 2019ish. Some other makes/models have four screws to hold the housing to the vehicle. Those engineers may have added the two extra screws to eliminate the warping of the housing.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took my 3rd brake light out glued it in with silicone $4

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine didn't leak, but as just a precaution, I removed the original gasket and replaced it with the rubber seal material similar to what "Burla" did .

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mine didn't leak, but as just a precaution, I removed the original gasket and replaced it with the rubber seal material similar to what "Burla" did .
smart badger, sure wish I did this, I had some pretty bad water damage,

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the leak on a 2016. I read the forums that this Detroit Muscle had a real nice gasket so I bought one. It is really nice. I scraped the old gasket off and put the new one on only to discover that when I bolted it up, the housing was warped so bad that it could never be tightened enough to seal. I didn't want to do a hack job with silicone, so I ordered a new Mopar housing. While I was explaining my dilemma on this forum, someone told me that the OEM bulbs needed to be changed over to LED to prevent the overheating of the housing. Put the new lens with gasket and LED bulbs, I have solved my problem since 2019ish. Some other makes/models have four screws to hold the housing to the vehicle. Those engineers may have added the two extra screws to eliminate the warping of the housing.
Yep! I replaced my own leaky 2018 OEM gasket as per Burla’s method. Little did I realize I cracked the plastic reinstalling the new gasket. The crack was hard to see but water sure found it. I purchased the Dorman replacement housing for $30 on Amazon. The Dorman is of very good quality, looks and feels just like OEM for a fraction of the OEM price. Probably made in the same factory as OEM.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm, seems the 3rd tailight is between the bumpers to me.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did this as well, just as a precaustion. When I pulled the light I could see the factory seal just starting to leak so I'm glad I did. I would recommend anyone with one of these trucks to do this mod before you have a leak.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I ordered a replacement rubber gasket from Amazon for $8 and took 5 minutes to swap on all 3 of my Rams. Easy peasy and solves the problem.

For what it's worth, you might want to check the cab vents behind the rear seat as well. That's the second location that's prone to leaking. They're about $22 each.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I replaced mine pre-emptively using weatherstripping from home depot 5 years ago. No problems

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is the easiest fix in the world, it is however hard to believe ram never fixed this in manufacturing. Anyhow, get some of that 3m stuff done, mine hasnt leaked since. You can easily see why they leak, the seal is a joke compared to the fix.

View attachment 526418

Notice how the material needs for follow the curves, it has to be done this way, think of this picture upside down. The straight piece that follows the bottom needs to be on the inside, or it can leak.

View attachment 526419
That what I used after my 3rd seal failed...

Jpmucha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same fix as Burla. About $11 on Amazon and have had no leaks since. I did have water damage, wish I knew of this easy fix earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_0381.jpeg
    IMG_0381.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 10