Finally a full fledged 5th gen owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've been lurking and posting in the 5th gen forum since I ordered my new 2500 back in late March. Looks like I'm a full timer here now. Took delivery of my Limited Longhorn CTD yesterday, from Granger Motors in Granger, IA. It's a 6 hour drive from my house, but well worth it to save $13K off the sticker price. The 400 mile drive home gave me time to get to know the truck some too, although I have a ways to go on that front. Trade in was an 18 2500 loaded Laramie CTD with 44K on it, which I got $16K more for that I paid for it 2.5 years ago. That was the primary driver behind the upgrade, making use of the "equity" I had in the 18.

I'm not sure I'm love with the re-design of the center console. I like having the extra cup holders at the back of it and the wireless charging, but it has less storage no matter where you move the sliding cup holder part. And dedicating a bunch of room for toll both change? Really? In today's pre-pass world?

The digital rear view mirror is funky too. Used it most of the way home. I wear contacts for distant vision, and weak readers to read. Which works for a traditional rear view mirror since the objects I'm focusing on are some distance away. But the digital image is close and hard for me to focus on w/o reading glasses. But I can't wear reading glasses to look that high up in the truck or the road is then fuzzy. So not sure of the utility of that for me except when towing.

Hate the preset system on the stereo. On my 18, I had separate presets for the XM radio, FM and AM. Now they are all one big set of presets. So if I'm out of the area of my FM stations, I still have to toggle through those presets to get back to my XM channels. I change channels a lot when on a long drive. And the presets don't scroll. All you ever see on the screen is the first 5. I'm hoping there is some way to change that, but so far, I think they suck.

But don't want to sound all doom and gloom. Love the truck overall. The 12" screen is very nice and very customizable. Love the radar cruise control, lane keep assist, the surround view camera and all the other cameras and most of the cab updates. Got 19.4mph hand calculated on the 400 mile trip home (found diesel for $4.15 a gallon in Joplin MO!).

Old and new. Yeah, I like chrome. They wouldn't throw the Mustang in, darn it. ;)
20221005_085047.jpg
Home and all washed up by the downstairs garage:
20221005_180118.jpg

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Very nice! And, congratulations - beautiful truck!

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know on my 19 I can have presets for FM and separate ones for SXM, maybe they changed that on the newer ones...

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Congrats on your new truck, she's a beaut! I can sympathize on the digital mirror. Lots of people rave over that, but I couldn't really get used to so I never used it much. I definitely wouldn't pay more for that alone if it was a stand-alone option.