Finally - an answer to the lack of 2017 1500 SLT models!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
When I first went scouting for my build sheet and specs, I always wondered why the retail consumer literature never mentioned the SLT trim level for my truck. I've had Ram fans (elsewhere) point-blank say that I was bull****ting when I told them I had a 2017 Ram 1500 SLT, in spite of everything in my docs saying it was indeed the SLT trim level (not to mention the little badge on my tailgate)...

Well, thanks to the fact that the previous owner of my truck was (quite literally) Enterprise Rent-A-Car, it turns out that I have a bit of a rare bird... I'm leaving this here for anyone else who finds themselves in the same situation as me.

The mid-level SLT trim level of the RAM 1500 is no longer available to retail customers, as it is now a lesser-equipped model reserved exclusively for fleet customers. However, the SLT trim level still remains for the Ram 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500 models, and are still available to retail customers. However, retail customers wanting SLT features such as chrome front and rear bumpers and front grille, seventeen-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, power windows and door locks with keyless entry, the U Connect 5.0BT (RA2) touch-screen radio, cloth seating surfaces, SiriusXMSatellite Radio, a rear-view backup camera system, and floor carpeting, can still opt for the Chrome Appearance and Popular Equipment Packages on the Tradesman model.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Pickup

TL;DR - if you bought a used 2017 (or 2018?) 1500 SLT in the United States, the original owner was probably a commercial entity who bought it as part of a fleet purchase.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Hrm. It may be a US thing specifically then... thank you for the info. It's been a bit of a puzzle getting information. :)

(I updated the original post a little bit to specify the US-centric source.)

I'll be able to find out more when I drag it in for U61 on 8/1; I'll pester them for a copy of the actual build sheet then.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do you mean SLT's that aren't Big Horns/...? My 2015 build sheet indicates "Vehicle Description" as "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4". It is a Big Horn model.

KansasArt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a '17 SLT. And it indeed was a Enterprise rental car. Optioned out like the Wikipedia article mentioned except no back up camera. Mine also originally had power slide rear, but must have been damaged because now just has regular fixed window. Also don't have 17's, has 20's with black plastic covers. Always thought it was strange enterprise would change out the rims. Bought it from a ram dealer fall of '17 with about 15K miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
(better explanation below :) )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I have a '17 SLT. And it indeed was a Enterprise rental car. Optioned out like the Wikipedia article mentioned except no back up camera. Mine also originally had power slide rear, but must have been damaged because now just has regular fixed window. Also don't have 17's, has 20's with black plastic covers. Always thought it was strange enterprise would change out the rims. Bought it from a ram dealer fall of '17 with about 15K miles.

Mine has the exact same setup as yours, except the wheels are stock and the sliding rear window works.

Did you have to put a trailer hitch receiver back on yours as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Do you mean SLT's that aren't Big Horns/...? My 2015 build sheet indicates "Vehicle Description" as "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4". It is a Big Horn model.

They stopped doing the SLT-only models (that is, just SLT, not the BigHorn) from 2017 onwards according to the article, so I'm not sure how the 2015s were rigged for SLT/BigHorn combos.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I have seen the same thing with another brand. I bought my wife a new VW Beetle a couple of years ago and was on one of the VW boards were a guy had this weird configured Beetle that could not be built by the web build page nor mentioned in any retail sales literature. He was missing buttons and a menu on the display that everybody else had. Come to find out it was a rental fleet only order configuration.

When you buy a few thousand vehicles at a time, one can dictate back to the manufacturer on how they want it configured.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen the same thing with another brand. I bought my wife a new VW Beetle a couple of years ago and was on one of the VW boards were a guy had this weird configured Beetle that could not be built by the web build page nor mentioned in any retail sales literature. He was missing buttons and a menu on the display that everybody else had. Come to find out it was a rental fleet only order configuration.

When you buy a few thousand vehicles at a time, one can dictate back to the manufacturer on how they want it configured.
This is quite freaquant in the commercial market. When a fleet type company wants to order 500 to 1000 units at 1 time the manufacture says sure, how would you like them. Money talks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

SilverRamguy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6
I also have a 2017 ram SLT. it had the emblem on the tail gate, and it came Enterprise Rents.
It is listed as above, chrome bumpers, power slide window, trailer plug in the bumper, but no receiver style hitch, and no camera.
V6, been a great truck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
I also have a 2017 ram SLT. it had the emblem on the tail gate, and it came interprize

That's three of us so far... how close to the Wikipedia description (first post) is your particular truck? So far, two of us have everything they described except that neither of us have the backup camera.

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for posting this thread, I've seen SLT's on the road but wondered about them as I have not seen them listed while perusing the literature.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My 2015 1500 SLT 4x4 was also a Enterprise Rental. No back up camera,hitch or boards (do now ) and power rear window.. All else fits the description ..

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you mean SLT's that aren't Big Horns/...? My 2015 build sheet indicates "Vehicle Description" as "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4".

The BigHorn and Outdoorsman trims were packages of the SLT trim level.
To make things really interesting, my Outdoorsman build sheet shows I have the BigHorn trim package also. It also shows a vehicle description of: "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4" [emoji848]

Serodgers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l

Same here. 2017 Ram 1500. I have the build sheet and it says Enterprise rental.

Purchased used last week with 25,000 miles. Same option but no backup camera or towing hitch.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
So not-so-rare then - sweet!

I'll def. toss up the build sheet from the dealer next week if I can wheedle it out of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990