First generation trucks bringing big money these days

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
WELL I'd say that certainly it doesn't have 72,000 mile on it. No way that seat would look like that , with only 72K .
Now having said that . I worked at a Dodge dealership for 11 years in the service department. & With the DRB OUR GOOD TECHS could go into the computers on these old trucks & see the ACTUAL Mileage that had been counted/logged into the computer of these trucks.
It was a real treat to have customers come it spouting about their Dodge diesel didn't have but XX Number of miles on it. I remember one young man bringing his truck about a 1993 one ton dually. Really nice looking truck .. I thought Man that truck look Familiar but I couldn't put a finger on it.
Then I ran some history on it to see if we could get some help to identify it's problem. This trucks 2nd owner was a friend of mine from about 250 miles away. & I knew my friend had had problems with it & traded it off.
SO When we go it into the shop I ask the Tech to look inside the Computer with his DRB. That truck had almost 400k ON IT. Looked great .
That young man just couldn't believe He's been scammed when he bought that truck but WE fixed his truck & I gave him copy's of all his History's repairs done at dealers . & I even printed him an Options sheet .. all the options the truck came with new ... Of course this is only the repairs that had been done at DODGE. .
.... But all in All that truck is steal a nice looking truck .. But not 27K.
NOT IN MY BOOK.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
WELL I'd say that certainly it doesn't have 72,000 mile on it. No way that seat would look like that , with only 72K .
Now having said that . I worked at a Dodge dealership for 11 years in the service department. & With the DRB OUR GOOD TECHS could go into the computers on these old trucks & see the ACTUAL Mileage that had been counted/logged into the computer of these trucks.
It was a real treat to have customers come it spouting about their Dodge diesel didn't have but XX Number of miles on it. I remember one young man bringing his truck about a 1993 one ton dually. Really nice looking truck .. I thought Man that truck look Familiar but I couldn't put a finger on it.
Then I ran some history on it to see if we could get some help to identify it's problem. This trucks 2nd owner was a friend of mine from about 250 miles away. & I knew my friend had had problems with it & traded it off.
SO When we go it into the shop I ask the Tech to look inside the Computer with his DRB. That truck had almost 400k ON IT. Looked great .
That young man just couldn't believe He's been scammed when he bought that truck but WE fixed his truck & I gave him copy's of all his History's repairs done at dealers . & I even printed him an Options sheet .. all the options the truck came with new ... Of course this is only the repairs that had been done at DODGE. .
NOT IN MY BOOK.
That is a seat COVER, the original seat is under that and looks mint. Zoom in on the pic.

Still no way I'd pay what it sold for.

OP
OP
ranchhopper

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Being an ex municipal truck I seriously doubt it had many more than the stated miles showing on the odometer.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
A 3.07 geared 727 truck in std cab... non-intercooled. These used the same light frames as the gas trucks too.

Doesn't really add up for me, unless the truck is just for show.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
SPEED O METEER not working not a big issue .. The real miles are in the computer . Found with a DRB. But finding a working DRB may be the biggest issue in today's world.
......U2Slow are you sure the 90's trucks used the same frame as the gas trucks. As I remember the gas frame was only used in the early 1989 D250 2 DOOR TRUCKS.
BUT I thought the 89 + half up changed to a heaverier frame.
.......& As I recall there was a recall on the early 89's & the welded in a heavy section into the inside of the frame & Beefed them up a tad bit.

Cipher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 5.9 Cummins
NOT IN MY BOOK.
My truck is a 99 with only 112k on it and my seat is shot. I knew the original owner and he use to plow snow around apts because he was the maintenance man there. So the seat has more miles than the truck. That could be true for other trucks as well. But apparently not in this case.

Edit….oh that looks really bad in the pic. I can see that it is cover. Mine is way better than that looks.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I am sure the municipal employees treated it with loving care. ;) Sometimes people just go nuts on auction sites and bid stuff way up because they hate to lose.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
......U2Slow are you sure the 90's trucks used the same frame as the gas trucks. As I remember the gas frame was only used in the early 1989 D250 2 DOOR TRUCKS.
BUT I thought the 89 + half up changed to a heaverier frame.
.......& As I recall there was a recall on the early 89's & the welded in a heavy section into the inside of the frame & Beefed them up a tad bit.
Yes. My 89, 90, and another '90 D250 all have the same frame as gas trucks.

The earliest truck i wrecked out with the bigger (8" channel) frame is a '91.5 that was intercooled.